RE: [Yuricon] Re: Where are all the cool masculine women?

  • Jekaterina Gudkova
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
      Thank you, I like most of them as well, but you can't exactly call all of them masculine.. I miss the hunky Yuri in anime... Any others?

      The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: technophile@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:32:58 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Where are all the cool masculine women?

      Here are some strong female anime characters I find quite appealing:

      Deunan from Appleseed
      Jo from Burst Angel
      Shadow from GoDannar
      Noin from Gundam Wing
      Ryofu from Ikki Tosen
      Sango from Inuyasha
      Kouya from Loveless
      Setsuna from Negima!
      Chie Hallard from My-Otome
      Haruka Suzushiro from My-Otome
      Natsuki Kruger from My-Otome
      Shizuru Viola from My-Otome
      Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
      Makoto from Sailor Moon
      Rei from Sailor Moon
      Kanna Kirishima from Sakura Wars
      Maria Tachibana from Sakura Wars
      Amane from Strawberry Panic! (the "horse riding girl")
      Kaname from Strawberry Panic!

      > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:08:06 +0000
      > Jekaterina Gudkova <lightwing47@ hotmail.com> wrote:
      >
      > (Delurking for a promising subject here..)
      >
      > Well, I know it is a "forbidden" topic, but that horse riding girl from Strawberry Panic seems
      > to fit the criteria.
      > I am desperate to know of others though.
      >
      > Kat
      > The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
        Belinda Towers from _The Twins at St Clare's_. The anime version seems
        to have been dubbed in every major language except English, which is
        kinda funny considering the source material. Or maybe there's license
        restrictions in play.
      • mara_papimer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jekaterina Gudkova <lightwing47@...>
          wrote:

          > Thank you, I like most of them as well, but you can't exactly call
          >all of them masculine.

          Firstly: Thank you for everyone for helping.

          One must always be careful to not think that 'main character'
          privileges, charisma, coolness and being sensible are `masculine'
          traits. I'm sure every one can see that sounds like a scary way of
          thinking.

          That's why I have not thought of say: Balsa, Makoto Kusinagi and Utena
          as very masculine characters. (Even if Iskawa calls Makoto `guerrilla
          babe')

          Ah, but Chie Hallard. A wonderful brief example of a character who is
          quite masculine and yet doesn't seem to have the mentality of a five
          year old.

          Noin form Gundam Wing, I love. Her scene with Zechs early in the
          series where she taps her sword against his when they are alone in the
          bar I thought was very sweet. But she has two definite examples of her
          being pulled down by a tragedy and someone else having to pick her up
          again. One: when Wu Fei kills all her students near the start of the
          series. Two: Near the end of the series where she just runs off all
          together (Thrown in to move her to a better dramatic position). The
          writers do (intentionally or not) make it up with lots of other cool
          scenes, but the damage is still done. I never saw Sally Po have any of
          those problems (granted she was a smaller part).

          On a tenuous connection. Did you know that Megumi Ogata is sometimes
          called `Aniki' by her fans? I've always thought that was real
          `fanservice'.
        • crimsonlotus20
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
            Greetings,

            I, to paraphrase Clinton, feel your pain. The ultra-femme
            abstractions which pass for anime characters nowadays range from the
            intolerable to rather sinister extremes in loli fetishism. I believe
            that SP! at least tried to take a stab at making vaguely more
            butch/androgynous characters: Kaname and Amane, most notably. Whether
            the gleeful brain-death of the series qualifies such characters
            as "cool", though, is another matter entirely.

            Similarly, Marimite makes a point of playing with the audience's
            preconceptions (especially re: Rei), so that hardly qualifies. Sol
            Bianca: the Legacy, if I recall, had a distinctly butch/androgynous
            character (the unsubtly named Janny Mann).

            I suppose, at a stretch, Kusanagi from GitS has some aspects of what
            you might be looking for. Having said that, Kusanagi's choice of body
            is not especially ambiguous from a gender-identity perspective.

            And that's, sadly, all I can think of off the top of my head.
            Basically, not much, but since yuri anime (as has often been
            repeated) has a large target audience that doesn't necessarily care
            for 'realistic' portrayals of anything, I wouldn't hold my breath.

            Regards,

            MdG

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
            <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

            > Where are all the cool masculine women?
            >
            > Reading through the new Lililicious release, `That's Why I Sigh'
            made
            > me remember something that has always bothered me:
            >
            > Can you at all recall a masculine/butch female character that is NOT
            > revealed to be one of the following:
            > - Actually quite effeminate
            > - Breaks down and cries during any hardship
            > - Turns out to be masculine because of someone else (emulation or
            > admiration) or because of an external event
            > - Dies
            > - Is incapable of looking after herself
            > - Cannot solve even the simplest problem without walked though it
            like
            > a child
            >
            > Does anyone know of one? All I can come up with is Hakura from Salor
            > Moon, and let us face it Hakura left her coolness on the mantelpiece
            > during several key events when it would have been useful.
            >
            > I surely must be blind and be missing someone painfully obvious.

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
              The one woman character I can think of is Sir Integra from Hellsing.
              She may have long hair, but she still dresses like a man and fills in
              what could've been a man's role and is a proven leader. As far as
              I've seen from the TV and OVA series, she never had a moment where
              she broke down and cried (she shed a tear in the TV series when she
              was mentally reconnecting with her childhood, but considering the
              context I don't count it). She really surprised me because I was
              fully expecting her to turn feminine and emotional, because that's
              often the case with female characters that act tough at first--Pachy

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yurianimeotaku" <technophile@...>
              wrote:

              > Here are some strong female anime characters I find quite appealing:
              >
              > Deunan from Appleseed
              > Jo from Burst Angel
              > Shadow from GoDannar
              > Noin from Gundam Wing
              > Ryofu from Ikki Tosen
              > Sango from Inuyasha
              > Kouya from Loveless
              > Setsuna from Negima!
              > Chie Hallard from My-Otome
              > Haruka Suzushiro from My-Otome
              > Natsuki Kruger from My-Otome
              > Shizuru Viola from My-Otome
              > Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
              > Makoto from Sailor Moon
              > Rei from Sailor Moon
              > Kanna Kirishima from Sakura Wars
              > Maria Tachibana from Sakura Wars
              > Amane from Strawberry Panic! (the "horse riding girl")
              > Kaname from Strawberry Panic!
            • Elwin Coldiron
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
                I don't see Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing (from Hellsing) anywhere.

                Blaine

                "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
                Stephen W. Hawking

                Beta Tester Badge 3

                i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
                Join me