Re: [Yuricon] Re: Where are all the cool masculine women?

  • yurianimeotaku
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
      Here are some strong female anime characters I find quite appealing:

      Deunan from Appleseed
      Jo from Burst Angel
      Shadow from GoDannar
      Noin from Gundam Wing
      Ryofu from Ikki Tosen
      Sango from Inuyasha
      Kouya from Loveless
      Setsuna from Negima!
      Chie Hallard from My-Otome
      Haruka Suzushiro from My-Otome
      Natsuki Kruger from My-Otome
      Shizuru Viola from My-Otome
      Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
      Makoto from Sailor Moon
      Rei from Sailor Moon
      Kanna Kirishima from Sakura Wars
      Maria Tachibana from Sakura Wars
      Amane from Strawberry Panic! (the "horse riding girl")
      Kaname from Strawberry Panic!

      > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:08:06 +0000
      > Jekaterina Gudkova <lightwing47@...> wrote:
      >
      > (Delurking for a promising subject here..)
      >
      > Well, I know it is a "forbidden" topic, but that horse riding girl from Strawberry Panic seems
      > to fit the criteria.
      > I am desperate to know of others though.
      >
      > Kat
      > The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.
    • Jekaterina Gudkova
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
        Thank you, I like most of them as well, but you can't exactly call all of them masculine.. I miss the hunky Yuri in anime... Any others?

        The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        From: technophile@...
        Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:32:58 -0700
        Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Where are all the cool masculine women?

        Here are some strong female anime characters I find quite appealing:

        Deunan from Appleseed
        Jo from Burst Angel
        Shadow from GoDannar
        Noin from Gundam Wing
        Ryofu from Ikki Tosen
        Sango from Inuyasha
        Kouya from Loveless
        Setsuna from Negima!
        Chie Hallard from My-Otome
        Haruka Suzushiro from My-Otome
        Natsuki Kruger from My-Otome
        Shizuru Viola from My-Otome
        Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
        Makoto from Sailor Moon
        Rei from Sailor Moon
        Kanna Kirishima from Sakura Wars
        Maria Tachibana from Sakura Wars
        Amane from Strawberry Panic! (the "horse riding girl")
        Kaname from Strawberry Panic!

        > On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:08:06 +0000
        > Jekaterina Gudkova <lightwing47@ hotmail.com> wrote:
        >
        > (Delurking for a promising subject here..)
        >
        > Well, I know it is a "forbidden" topic, but that horse riding girl from Strawberry Panic seems
        > to fit the criteria.
        > I am desperate to know of others though.
        >
        > Kat
        > The world is a comedy to her who thinks, and a tragedy to her who feels.

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
          Belinda Towers from _The Twins at St Clare's_. The anime version seems
          to have been dubbed in every major language except English, which is
          kinda funny considering the source material. Or maybe there's license
          restrictions in play.
        • mara_papimer
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Jekaterina Gudkova <lightwing47@...>
            wrote:

            > Thank you, I like most of them as well, but you can't exactly call
            >all of them masculine.

            Firstly: Thank you for everyone for helping.

            One must always be careful to not think that 'main character'
            privileges, charisma, coolness and being sensible are `masculine'
            traits. I'm sure every one can see that sounds like a scary way of
            thinking.

            That's why I have not thought of say: Balsa, Makoto Kusinagi and Utena
            as very masculine characters. (Even if Iskawa calls Makoto `guerrilla
            babe')

            Ah, but Chie Hallard. A wonderful brief example of a character who is
            quite masculine and yet doesn't seem to have the mentality of a five
            year old.

            Noin form Gundam Wing, I love. Her scene with Zechs early in the
            series where she taps her sword against his when they are alone in the
            bar I thought was very sweet. But she has two definite examples of her
            being pulled down by a tragedy and someone else having to pick her up
            again. One: when Wu Fei kills all her students near the start of the
            series. Two: Near the end of the series where she just runs off all
            together (Thrown in to move her to a better dramatic position). The
            writers do (intentionally or not) make it up with lots of other cool
            scenes, but the damage is still done. I never saw Sally Po have any of
            those problems (granted she was a smaller part).

            On a tenuous connection. Did you know that Megumi Ogata is sometimes
            called `Aniki' by her fans? I've always thought that was real
            `fanservice'.
          • crimsonlotus20
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
              Greetings,

              I, to paraphrase Clinton, feel your pain. The ultra-femme
              abstractions which pass for anime characters nowadays range from the
              intolerable to rather sinister extremes in loli fetishism. I believe
              that SP! at least tried to take a stab at making vaguely more
              butch/androgynous characters: Kaname and Amane, most notably. Whether
              the gleeful brain-death of the series qualifies such characters
              as "cool", though, is another matter entirely.

              Similarly, Marimite makes a point of playing with the audience's
              preconceptions (especially re: Rei), so that hardly qualifies. Sol
              Bianca: the Legacy, if I recall, had a distinctly butch/androgynous
              character (the unsubtly named Janny Mann).

              I suppose, at a stretch, Kusanagi from GitS has some aspects of what
              you might be looking for. Having said that, Kusanagi's choice of body
              is not especially ambiguous from a gender-identity perspective.

              And that's, sadly, all I can think of off the top of my head.
              Basically, not much, but since yuri anime (as has often been
              repeated) has a large target audience that doesn't necessarily care
              for 'realistic' portrayals of anything, I wouldn't hold my breath.

              Regards,

              MdG

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
              <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

              > Where are all the cool masculine women?
              >
              > Reading through the new Lililicious release, `That's Why I Sigh'
              made
              > me remember something that has always bothered me:
              >
              > Can you at all recall a masculine/butch female character that is NOT
              > revealed to be one of the following:
              > - Actually quite effeminate
              > - Breaks down and cries during any hardship
              > - Turns out to be masculine because of someone else (emulation or
              > admiration) or because of an external event
              > - Dies
              > - Is incapable of looking after herself
              > - Cannot solve even the simplest problem without walked though it
              like
              > a child
              >
              > Does anyone know of one? All I can come up with is Hakura from Salor
              > Moon, and let us face it Hakura left her coolness on the mantelpiece
              > during several key events when it would have been useful.
              >
              > I surely must be blind and be missing someone painfully obvious.

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
                The one woman character I can think of is Sir Integra from Hellsing.
                She may have long hair, but she still dresses like a man and fills in
                what could've been a man's role and is a proven leader. As far as
                I've seen from the TV and OVA series, she never had a moment where
                she broke down and cried (she shed a tear in the TV series when she
                was mentally reconnecting with her childhood, but considering the
                context I don't count it). She really surprised me because I was
                fully expecting her to turn feminine and emotional, because that's
                often the case with female characters that act tough at first--Pachy

                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "yurianimeotaku" <technophile@...>
                wrote:

                > Here are some strong female anime characters I find quite appealing:
                >
                > Deunan from Appleseed
                > Jo from Burst Angel
                > Shadow from GoDannar
                > Noin from Gundam Wing
                > Ryofu from Ikki Tosen
                > Sango from Inuyasha
                > Kouya from Loveless
                > Setsuna from Negima!
                > Chie Hallard from My-Otome
                > Haruka Suzushiro from My-Otome
                > Natsuki Kruger from My-Otome
                > Shizuru Viola from My-Otome
                > Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
                > Makoto from Sailor Moon
                > Rei from Sailor Moon
                > Kanna Kirishima from Sakura Wars
                > Maria Tachibana from Sakura Wars
                > Amane from Strawberry Panic! (the "horse riding girl")
                > Kaname from Strawberry Panic!
              • Elwin Coldiron
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 16, 2008
                  I don't see Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing (from Hellsing) anywhere.

                  Blaine

                  "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
                  Stephen W. Hawking

                  Beta Tester Badge 3

                  i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
                  Join me