Re: [Yuricon] Re: Does it matter where you buy your Yuri?

  • Clarissa C. S. Ryan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2008
      --- Reese Dorrycott <rhys@...> wrote:

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua"
      > <johannconradchua@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Generally don't order online from U.S.-based
      > sellers as the shipping
      > > costs too much, unless I make a HUGE order.
      >
      > And they like to ship 'surface mail' which is by
      > ship. A package can
      > take up to six months to arrive from California that
      > way. I know, I
      > was stationed at Clarke AFB back in the 70's & had
      > that happen to me
      > several times.

      Unfortunately for people like me (teachers), surface
      mail overseas isn't even an option anymore. Everything
      is air mail. This is great if you're buying things and
      you don't mind paying the USPS's huge fees for
      anything bigger than an envelope, but not so great if
      you're sending boxes full of books. :/ I just spent
      several hundred dollars to send my grad school
      classmate's books and stuff to her in Japan after she
      went back there (since we graduated). This is
      relatively recent change and wasn't in effect when my
      other friend moved to Korea to teach English a year or
      two ago, so we were caught by surprise. Watch out for
      this if you are asking a friend to send you something
      bigger than a book or CD from the US, or if you're
      sending something from the US to a friend in Japan. :/

      I really wish they hadn't gotten rid of that option.
      Sometimes it's fine to wait a while for
      something...The change has really hosed volunteer EFL
      teachers working in refugee camps overseas and so
      forth.

      Anyway, end rant! sory!

      --
      Clarissa C. S. Ryan