Mood shifts in yuri themes

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
      (I was writing this as a reply to the latest schooly drama review on
      Okazu, but felt the digressment lent itself to a Yuricon BBS post)

      NOIR came into my mind upon browsing the opening review paragraphs.

      I wish they made more of a deal about Kirika being a schoolgirl, and
      Mirielle being... well, not. I don't know the specific age
      difference, but it's probably not as large as I'd now prefer years
      after the fact. It'd add an interesting new tangent.

      Schoolgirl burnout, or just a tip of the see-saw dropping me into a
      newfound liking to see sexually mature characters be confidant enough
      to see what they want and make a go of it, as opposed to typical
      blushing/fretting/fancoupling?

      Does everyone go through this phase? I've always prefered a stark
      visible contrast in my yuri couples, but a significant age barrier
      makes things... intriguing.

      A tiny seed planted from my recent watching of random Ichigo Mashimaro
      clips, perhaps? I *have* been doing mindfiction during the work
      commute of late for these two... Nobue; a lonely, broken, frumpy,
      hagard 30-something reduced to a mindless cog in the dreary Japanese
      OL work life with nothing but a dark flat and TV dinners to go home to
      and long since given up on anything more in life... only to have a
      bubbly, bright-eyed 20-something Miu turn up at her door years after
      everyone moved on, now knowing exactly what she wants and seemingly
      quite capable of locating long lost loves.

      ... uh, yeah, definitely my mindfic pushing the entertainment value of
      school-setting yuri out of my head. I wrote that mindfic summary way
      too easily, in hindsight.

      Does anyone else have mood shifts in terms of yuri content, or even
      theme burnout? Or do people have an unending love for a particular
      yuri ingrediant (school, fantasy/reality based, weapons,
      life-shattering drama, sex, evil psychosis, character development,
      etc), and embrace it regardless?

      Oh, and any yuri titles outh there where the couples in question share
      a considerable age difference? So much that it's an issue? Aside
      from IchiMashi (which doesn't count due to one being underage), I
      can't think of one offhand.

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: puni@...
        > Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:33:44 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Mood shifts in yuri themes
        >
        > (I was writing this as a reply to the latest schooly drama review on
        > Okazu, but felt the digressment lent itself to a Yuricon BBS post)

        Cool.

        > NOIR came into my mind upon browsing the opening review paragraphs.
        >
        > I wish they made more of a deal about Kirika being a schoolgirl, and
        > Mirielle being... well, not. I don't know the specific age
        > difference, but it's probably not as large as I'd now prefer years
        > after the fact. It'd add an interesting new tangent.

        Mirielle is...18. Seriously. We wouldn't want to make her older than that, because she'd have to be married or dead.

        So Kirikika is about 15-16 and Mirielle is 18.

        > Schoolgirl burnout, or just a tip of the see-saw dropping me into a
        > newfound liking to see sexually mature characters be confidant enough
        > to see what they want and make a go of it, as opposed to typical
        > blushing/fretting/fancoupling?

        Yes.

        You know there's several forces at work here. The pendulum on art swings back and forth all the time - realistic/abstract, young/old, fantasy/scifi, etc. Anime is no different. But ther will *always* be a preponderance of anime/manga set in high school or starring the high school-aged characters for some very legitimate cultural and market reasons. So, of *course* I'm going to lose my mind from time to time staring at yet another Yuri pair of schoolgirls confessing their love for one another, the end.

        > Does everyone go through this phase? I've always prefered a stark
        > visible contrast in my yuri couples, but a significant age barrier
        > makes things... intriguing.

        Personally - intergenerational attraction is neither here nor there for me. It's another standard Yuri trope, like the nadesico beauty and the genki blonde.

        > A tiny seed planted from my recent watching of random Ichigo Mashimaro
        > clips, perhaps? I *have* been doing mindfiction during the work
        > commute of late for these two... Nobue; a lonely, broken, frumpy,
        > hagard 30-something reduced to a mindless cog in the dreary Japanese
        > OL work life with nothing but a dark flat and TV dinners to go home to
        > and long since given up on anything more in life... only to have a
        > bubbly, bright-eyed 20-something Miu turn up at her door years after
        > everyone moved on, now knowing exactly what she wants and seemingly
        > quite capable of locating long lost loves.

        LOL I would so read that. Personally, I'm in favor or Chika x Miu. I have a story written, just not edited or posted yet. But then, in an allergic reaction to so much of the unever realtionships in anime and manga, I tend to write relationships that put people on equal footing.

        > Does anyone else have mood shifts in terms of yuri content, or even
        > theme burnout?

        Are you kidding? How many times have I said that after reading endless schoolgirl "Story A" Yuri, do I long for a store about a bored housewife and a lesbian trucker. Thank heaven for lesbian novels (real ones, not light novels) and writers like Katherine Forrest and J.D. Glass, so when my brain explodes I can read about adults, for whom life does not end with "I like you." "I like you too!"

        Or do people have an unending love for a particular
        > yuri ingrediant (school, fantasy/reality based, weapons,
        > life-shattering drama, sex, evil psychosis, character development,
        > etc), and embrace it regardless?

        I think we all have "hooks." Mine are reasonably consistent, but there are things that might contain some or all of them that still are not good, or enjoyable.

        > Oh, and any yuri titles outh there where the couples in question share
        > a considerable age difference? So much that it's an issue? Aside
        > from IchiMashi (which doesn't count due to one being underage), I
        > can't think of one offhand.

        Depends on how canon or age-difference you want to go. These all come to mind immediately.

        I am firm in my belief that in the first Ikkitousen Ryomou fell in love with Goei, who is old enough to be her mother.

        Jun and Kazumi in Devilman Lady were some years apart.

        There is a contingent who like Dominura and Rimone in Simoun (not, interestingly, the director, who was REALLY uncomfortable with the whole thing and did his best to keep it from being yucky. I think he did a great job.)

        Touko-sensei and Akiho in First Love sisters.

        Hagino and Mari in Blue Drop. Although they look the same age, we know Hagino is significantly older. (Not that she acts it.)

        I'm sure other people can come up with more.

        Making the world a better place one message at a time.
        http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_BetterPlace
      • Eric
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008

          > There is a contingent who like Dominura and Rimone in Simoun (not,
          interestingly, the director, who was REALLY uncomfortable with the
          whole thing and did his best to keep it from being yucky. I think he
          did a great job.)

          The one eye-catch in the middle of episode 21 with Dominura and Rimone
          cuddled naked together was pretty darn close to 'yucky'. If this
          pairing wasn't his call, I guess he was just an assigned director to
          the series?--Pachy