Re: [Yuricon] Reflections at second episode of Candy Boy and whole idea...

  • Clifford Rusk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3 11:47 AM
      Hmm,
      I suppose that I should give this series a shot. I've been avoiding it because of all the bad press I've seen about it, but if it's really got a ray of hope shining there, who knows, maybe I'm missing out.
      Thanks,
      Cliff

      2008/7/3 Grisznak <grisznakiw@...>:

      Hi
      I finally forced myself to watch this new episode. It was better than
      first, final scene in shop was kinda funny, but still...I don't know
      if you'll agree with me, but this could be kinda nice serie, typical
      slices of life. Yes, could be...just like pigs might fly. Yuricest is
      still a weakest side of this serie. Without it, "Candy Boy" might be
      watchable.
      cheers
      Grisznak

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3 5:04 PM
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: grisznakiw@...
        > Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:25:06 +0200
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Reflections at second episode of Candy Boy and whole idea...
        >
        > Hi
        > I finally forced myself to watch this new episode. It was better than
        > first, final scene in shop was kinda funny, but still...I don't know
        > if you'll agree with me, but this could be kinda nice serie, typical
        > slices of life. Yes, could be...just like pigs might fly. Yuricest is
        > still a weakest side of this serie. Without it, "Candy Boy" might be
        > watchable.

        Here are my thoughts on "Candy Boy."

        I am setting the question of incest aside, because we are told they are twins. They do not look or act like twins and certainly the usual taboos of sisterhood don't seem to apply. So, to me, it appears that, twins or not, nothing would change in the story. Let's say for a moment that they acutally are not.
        Let's imagine them as roommates instead.

        The story then becomes, two girls who room together and are, apparently in love, but don't actually do much about it.

        That covers the twins.

        Moving on to Sayaka - her behavior falls firmly into the category of "behavior that, if it were exhibited by a guy, would enrage and disgust us, but since it's a girl, zOMG!"

        The incest is merely a fetish that has been laid over an otherwise incredibly dull anime. And the repulsive behavior is acceptable because the (primarily male) audience are masking their own perversions into a female, thus giving them an in that as men they would not have.

        It's not the worst thing I've ever watched, but every episode is the longest 14 minutes of that month.

        Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play chicktionary!
        http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_wlhmtextlink1_feb
      • Clifford Rusk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 1:01 PM
          Hey,
          My personal take on the whole thing, and of course, including
          series that have incest as a main theme, is that it's either hit-
          and-miss thing with such a niche audience, and so any show
          that goes with this subject is, generally speaking, either going
          to repulse everyone, or garner some fandom, but I don't think
          that there will ever be a universally accepted yuricest
          anime/manga/LN/whatever.

          I'll admit and completely confess to it, yes I like series with
          this theme - when done right, I believe that they can not only
          provide a good romantic set, but also make people question
          their beliefs in the morality of said situations. Hence why I've
          been working on a story for the past year or so, aimed at making
          people think, but I digress.

          All in all, I think Candy Boy is a bit of a miss... granted, I don't
          think it's thematically bad, but the execution is rather flawed, in
          my eyes. It has potential, I think, if they do some serious work
          on the series, but I don't know if that will happen. So, I've said
          my piece, and I'll shut up now. >_<

          Probably shouldn't have said half of that stuff,
          -Cliff