The audience of yuri...

  • Albert Lunde
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2008
      I'm a bisexual man, and a consumer of everything from light fluffy romance
      to fairly explict adult material. Yuri, as a genre, has produced
      a disproportionate number of the stories I like.

      (It's some kind of commentary on the heterosexual adult material out there
      that the image board wakachan found a market for a group entitled "Happy Sex".)

      It's interesting that magazines marketed towards males have featured
      series with mostly female characters. This has produced some
      fairly good results like Azumanga Daioh, and some odd results
      like Strawberry Panic (which seened to me to be very uneven).

      What it does show is that editors in Japan allow for the
      possibility that the sex of the primary characters may not
      be the same as the sex of the intended audience. That
      proposition would be a harder sell in the USA.

      Someone has suggested Azumanga Daioh was not unlike a harem
      minus the male lead.

      I suppose the proportion of yuri written by women for women
      is a smaller market segement. It's not the only source of
      good stories, but there's going to be an obvious bias
      towards realism, or at least, a different sort of fantasy.

      --
      Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
      atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)