Re: What is it like, being a homosexual living in Poland ? (re: Marimite in German : Rosen unter Marias Obhut)

  • miszek
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2008
      So how it is..
      I'm a lesbian. living in Poland with my girlfriend. From my
      expierience I can tell that there are two sides of polish attitude to
      homosexuality. Generally, which you described, it's official face of
      the problem. When you say "those gays/ lesbians", some virtual group
      of people, most of Poles would say that they have nothing against,
      only if they don't have to see kissing couples etc or that it's
      unnatural, they feel symphaty to "sick" people. But in reality it's
      like if they know personally someone who's gay, they change their
      attitude.
      I work in a small company, where everybody is very close to each
      other. My boss in the beginning had some homophobic reactions, he' s
      been telling stupid jokes, and so on. But later he got married and he
      invited me to his wedding. so I asked him if I can come with my
      girlfriend and he had nothing against seeing us as a couple. in fact
      he is supporting me a lot, he asks if there are any chances to
      legalize our relationship (and there is nothing like that, because of
      big role of catholic church in polish politics).
      My mother is very religious, so I was quite afraid of telling her
      that I'm in relationship with a woman, but in fact she reacted with
      great empathy, and she is in very good relations with my "wife" :)
      In my opinion most of the homophobic reactions are in politics, in
      church, so everybody can see it, but "normal" people can really
      surprise you with they positive reactions :)
      miszek

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Joe Leouf <leouffou@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your impressions, Grisznak, that was really
      interesting ! I'll go check on that iron cross reference, which I
      didn't notice when I read that volume.
      > As for the Polish manga market, I guess the publishing firms bank
      on well-selling titles that appeal to the widest range of
      readers...and Yuri doesn't belong to
      > those, obviously (even though it's a shame, according to me)!
      >
      > Also, Yuri might also be a sensitive sociological issue : to what
      extent is homosexuality accepted in Poland (as it is a country in
      which catholicism plays a important role) ?
      > I've heard a report on the topic "Being a homosexual in Poland" on
      the French radio last week, and the journalist commented that
      homosexuality was still a very delicate question, and that
      homophobia, was, unfortunately, rather widespread (lots of Polish
      people consider homosexuality as something "bad" or "as something
      that goes against nature" or "as a sort of strange mental disase" or
      something like that... Yes, I found that quite shocking !!!).
      > Of course, as an outsider, I only know what I hear here and there,
      without really knowing what real life in Poland is like, so what I'm
      saying might be a gross, simplified stereotype of the actual
      situation... which is why I'd like very much to hear your opinion on
      that topic,
      > Grisznak !
      >
      > -> According to you, is being a homosexual accepted in Poland, or
      do your friends and people in general suddently begin to hate you, to
      discriminate you and to torture you when they learn that you're "not
      straight" ?

      > Cheers !

      Obhut

      > Germans have a strange fetish to translate everything they can. "Sei
      > Geruss" for "Gokigenyou" or the colours of the roses are the best
      > examples. I have three volumes of the manga and three of the book.
      > Editorial side is not bad at all, but these names...
      > And...german langugae is strange. No, not because of gramar or
      > anything like this...I loved to watch war movies when I was younger
      > and german was mostly reserved for soldiers of Whermacht. When I see
      > students of Lillian speaking in the same language, it's wreid. And
      > more, at one of the pages of thrid volume of manga there's a big
      > german "iron cross", high rank army medal.
      > After all, my german is rather poor, but I have no problems with
      > reading. Book is written in very simple german and if you knew
      anime,
      > you shouldn't have much problems with reading. I'm often buying
      german
      > mangas (because polish manga market sucks - there are no yuri at
      all,
      > only stupid shonens and equally inteligent shoujo titles).
      > cheers
      > Grisznak
      >
      > 2008/6/14 atheniag <anilesbocon01@ hotmail.com>:
      > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups .com, "leouffou" <leouffou@ .> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Hi everybody !
      > >
      > > Hello!
      > >
      > >> The German translated text is pretty cool, as the translators
      > > mangaed
      > >> (at least in my opinion) to keep the typical "Marimite-ish"
      > > atmosphere
      > >> and still put it into typical everyday German, with some funny,
      > >> idiomatic expressions ("dann machte sie sich in aller Seelenruhe
      > > über
      > >> eine Tasse Tee her" -!!!- for instance).
      > >
      > > That's what I've heard from other German readers, that overall,
      the
      > > translation kept the atmosphere.
      > >

      > >> I don't feel like translating and making some slight adaptations
      > > harms
      > >> the original text; on the contrary, it makes it a lot livelier
      and
      > > nicer
      > >> to read! There's one thing I do regret, the fact that the
      > > translators
      > >> completely erased the latin rose names, 'Rosa Chinensis', 'Rosa
      > > Foetida'
      > >> and 'Rosa Gigantea', which are systematically replaced by their
      > >> respective colors, 'Rote Rose', 'Gelbe Rose','WeiBe Rose' - that
      > > really
      > >> shocked me, as I was used to the English fansubs by Lilicious
      > > (they also
      > >> did a fantastic by the way!)..
      > >
      > > I spoke to Right Stuff about that, too. I told them that it was
      VERY
      > > important to us to leave the titles as is and not try and
      Translate
      > > them. lol
      > >
      > > Aside from this little flaw (I think we'll
      > >> all agree that 'Red Rose' is a lot less elegant and presitigious
      as
      > >> 'Rosa Chinensis'!) , I'd say this first translation of the huge
      > > series of
      > >> novels (there are already about 33 or 34 volumes out, I think?)
      is a
      > >> success and I pray to Maria-sama that she blesses us soon with an
      > >> Englsih translation (which might be the case, since the anime was
      > >> licensed not too long ago)
      > >
      > > 34 is what I have on the shelf. :-)
      > >
      > > I seriously don't believe there will be an official English
      > > translation of the novels, especially now that Tokyopop is cutting
      > > back. Maybe another company can pick up the license if TP USA
      drops
      > > it. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
      > >
      > >> That's it for now !
      > >
      > > Thanks for giving us your impressions. :-)
      > >

      > >> P.S: I wonder if there are many German speaking members on
      > > Yuricon... If
      > >> you aren't familiar with Goethe-sama' s language, you might want
      > > give
      > >> it a try, just to be able to enjoy the Marimite translations in
      > >> German,they' re definately worth it !
      > >
      > > It's been ages since I could read anything but the simplest
      German,

      _______