Re: [Yuricon] Re: wood-elves

  • Toasty Ace
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 31, 2001
      > > Do woodelves play hockey? ;p Gomen! Since I know
      > > you like the sports so much...a silly picture
      > > popped into my head when I read this post =^.^=
      > > It's 3am...I'm allowed ne? ;p
      > >
      > > Kun
      > > ----'-,-{@
      > > *does a little hockey dance*
      >
      > Well, you play with a crooked stick on a pond of
      > ice...I'm sure that the wood elves probably figured
      > it out thousands of years ago! ^.~
      > Wouldn't you agree, Ace?
      >
      > Katya

      Hmmm... it would seem reasonable that wood elves would
      have come up with such a wonderful sport, but then one
      has to wonder what an elf looks like when they check
      another elf... *ponders*

      Kiss kiss.

      ~~~~<~~{@ ace

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • katyae0211
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 31, 2001
        --- In Yuricon@y..., Toasty Ace <madhatterace@y...> wrote:

        > Hmmm... it would seem reasonable that wood elves would
        > have come up with such a wonderful sport, but then one
        > has to wonder what an elf looks like when they check
        > another elf... *ponders*

        Hrmmm...I could give you a visual, if you could find me
        another "elf". Checks are one thing that I am good at!

        Katya, who thinks her big hips are a part of the reason why
      • Erika =)~
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 7, 2002
          Elves vs. the russians...

          Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?

          Sorry odd mentl image that..

          Erika =)~

          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 7, 2002
            In a message dated 1/7/02 11:02:28 PM Eastern Standard Time, kakabel@... writes:

            Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?

            Sorry odd mentl image that..

            oh I have that it is the funniest thing.... I love showing it to people and seeing their reactions!

            ~*Nanami-chan*~
          • zephyr_dudette
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 7, 2002
              --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erika =)~" <kakabel@h...> wrote:
              > Elves vs. the russians...
              >
              > Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?
              >
              > Sorry odd mentl image that..
              >
              > Erika =)~

              Lady Coffington's? that book is HILARIOUS!!! i've wanted to own that
              book for about... 3? 4? years? a long time ^_^ but i've never had the
              money and seen the book at the same time... and now it's not in my
              local bookstore any more. i used to flip through there whenever i had
              the chance. it was great!

              -Zeph
              can't believe anyone else knew of it ^_^
            • katyae0211
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 7, 2002
                --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erika =)~" <kakabel@h...> wrote:
                > Elves vs. the russians...
                >
                > Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?

                Oh, goodness, yes! It's so funny!

                > Sorry odd mentl image that..

                Well...it's sorta odd seeing yourself cruising right into a teammate,
                too! ^.~

                Katya
              • eleloi
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 7, 2002
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "zephyr_dudette" <zephthebest@h...> wrote:

                  > Lady Coffington's? that book is HILARIOUS!!! i've wanted to own that
                  book for about... 3? 4? years? a long time ^_^ but i've never had
                  the money and seen the book at the same time... and now it's not in my
                  local bookstore any more. i used to flip through there whenever i
                  had the chance. it was great!
                  > -Zeph
                  > can't believe anyone else knew of it ^_^

                  I gave a copy to my brother one year for christmas... kinda as a joke
                  (I also got him the book of smells). It was the year he came out to
                  the immediate family. Hehehe... He thought it was funny... and loves
                  the book. My baby brother has a great sense of humor. ^-^

                  Ah yes... My sister, brother and I all turned out bi. I don't know
                  how or when it happened. That throws of the percentage, doesn't it?

                  --Lel
                • PhoenixStar15@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002
                    <<Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?>>

                    Is that with Brian Froud?  *eyes get all sparkly and shoujo-like*  if so, then I've heard of it.  Has anyone heard of Brian Froud?  He does these amazing books on faeries and I lovelovelove them.  ^^  I highly recommend them to anyone who remotely likes faeries.

                    meghan
                    the one engaged

                    mmmm canadian bands
                    "Then I thought, with some surprise, Eternity is my lover."
                    "Make me a sergeant and bring me the booze!"
                    -random drunk in "Them!"

                    e-mail phoenixstar15@... aim phoenixstar15 livejournal edens_echo

                  • zephyr_dudette
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002
                      --- In Yuricon@y..., "eleloi" <eleloi@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In Yuricon@y..., "zephyr_dudette" <zephthebest@h...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Lady Coffington's? that book is HILARIOUS!!! i've wanted to own
                      that
                      > book for about... 3? 4? years? a long time ^_^ but i've never had
                      > the money and seen the book at the same time... and now it's not in
                      my
                      > local bookstore any more. i used to flip through there whenever i
                      > had the chance. it was great!
                      > > -Zeph
                      > > can't believe anyone else knew of it ^_^
                      >
                      > I gave a copy to my brother one year for christmas... kinda as a
                      joke
                      > (I also got him the book of smells). It was the year he came out
                      > the immediate family. Hehehe... He thought it was funny... and
                      loves
                      > the book. My baby brother has a great sense of humor. ^-^
                      >
                      > Ah yes... My sister, brother and I all turned out bi. I don't know
                      > how or when it happened. That throws of the percentage, doesn't it?
                      >
                      > --Lel

                      crazy stuff ^_^ my brother at the moment is very androgynous... me
                      and my mom think he may be gay, but he doesn't know. all we know is
                      he isn't attracted to girls OR guys, as far as he informs us. i guess
                      he's only 15... (O_o) we shall see ^_^

                      -Zeph
                    • mugenharuka
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002
                        --- In Yuricon@y..., PhoenixStar15@a... wrote:
                        > <<Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?>>
                        >
                        > Is that with Brian Froud? *eyes get all sparkly and shoujo-like*
                        if so,
                        > then I've heard of it. Has anyone heard of Brian Froud?

                        The Pressed Fairy Book is not by Brian Froud. His work is very good
                        though; for those who haven't heard of him, check out the original
                        character design for Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, or one of his
                        numorous Art Books.

                        MugenHaruka
                      • Alex Picchetti
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002
                          <<Ah yes... My sister, brother and I all turned out bi.  I don't know
                          how or when it happened.  That throws of the percentage, doesn't it?>>

                          I don't know what the percentage is for just siblings, but identical twins it's 100% or close to, even if they're raised seperately, I think.

                          -Alex (who should *know*, as she's doing her sociology ISU on homosexuality... *lol* ^^;;)
                        • eleloi
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002
                            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Alex Picchetti" <nuriseiya@r...> wrote:

                            > I don't know what the percentage is for just siblings, but
                            identical twins it's 100% or close to, even if they're raised
                            seperately, I think.

                            Well... if we think of how many people are in my family... and 10% is
                            the average. We have one other cousin who's at least bi. (that brings
                            us up to 4) I have 4 grandparents, 7 directly related aunts and
                            uncles, 8 cousins, 2 parents and 2 siblings. That makes 23 people.
                            Statistically there should be only 2.3 of us.

                            And we have suspicions about one of my aunts. She found out I was in
                            a gay support group and she said, "Are you bi? You are? Well, good
                            for you. I'm..." but then she cut herself off and refused to say any
                            more. She has a best friend that's been around for as long as I can
                            remember... enough so "Aunt Dana" has been adopted as a part of the
                            family. I wish my aunt would say what she wanted to say, but I have a
                            feeling it's because of my grandparents that she keeps her mouth shut.
                            My grandparents can't even handle the fact that my brother is going to
                            marry his boyfriend next month. They just don't talk about him...
                            it's sad, really because Tommy is so sweet.

                            I get another little brother. Tee hee!

                            --Lel, who wishes she could go to the wedding. But I'm only allowed
                            to go visit my family once every few years. <pout> Stupid Pacific
                            Ocean that separates us. Brothers threaten to come visit the mainland
                            (Continental United States) soon.
                          • Judy Justice
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 8, 2002

                              --- In Yuricon@y..., "mugenharuka" <mugenharuka@y...> wrote:

                              > --- In Yuricon@y..., PhoenixStar15@a... wrote:
                              > > <<Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?>>
                              > >
                              > > Is that with Brian Froud?  *eyes get all sparkly and shoujo-like*
                              > if so,
                              > > then I've heard of it.  Has anyone heard of Brian Froud?
                              >
                              > The Pressed Fairy Book is not by Brian Froud.  His work is very good
                              > though; for those who haven't heard of him, check out the original
                              > character design for Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, or one of his
                              > numorous Art Books.
                              >
                              > MugenHaruka

                              'Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book' really seems to have been drawn by Brian Froud in 1994.
                              I have the book in my hands right now and it's quite difficult to type, actually. ^_^'

                              True that it's not the only name on the book, Terry Jones was part of it too but I think he's only a writer and an actor. Not that writers and actors aren't worth a drawer. Don't get me wrong. ^_-

                              And since my scanner works because I didn't get XP... -smirk-
                              Here's a pic from the sealed part of the book.
                              Enjoy...

                              -Judy

                              Do You Yahoo!?
                              Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.
                            • mugenharuka
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 9, 2002
                                --- In Yuricon@y..., Judy Justice <the_judy_justice@y...> wrote:

                                > --- In Yuricon@y..., "mugenharuka" <mugenharuka@y...> wrote:
                                > > --- In Yuricon@y..., PhoenixStar15@a... wrote:
                                > > > <<Has anyone see the "Pressed Fairy Book"?>>
                                > > >
                                > > > Is that with Brian Froud? *eyes get all sparkly and shoujo-
                                like*
                                > > if so,
                                > > > then I've heard of it. Has anyone heard of Brian Froud?
                                > >
                                > > The Pressed Fairy Book is not by Brian Froud. His work is very
                                good
                                > > though; for those who haven't heard of him, check out the
                                original
                                > > character design for Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal, or one of his
                                > > numorous Art Books.
                                > >
                                > > MugenHaruka
                                >
                                > 'Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book' really seems to have been
                                drawn by Brian Froud in 1994.
                                > I have the book in my hands right now and it's quite difficult to
                                type, actually. ^_^'

                                > True that it's not the only name on the book, Terry Jones was part
                                of it too but I think he's only a writer and an actor. Not that
                                writers and actors aren't worth a drawer. Don't get me wrong. ^_-

                                > And since my scanner works because I didn't get XP... -smirk-
                                > Here's a pic from the sealed part of the book.
                                > Enjoy...
                                >
                                > -Judy

                                Are we all speaking of the same pressed-fairy book? O_o Is there
                                more than one!?

                                Oh dear. Maybe I'm just wrong and very very very very confused. If
                                so, then I bow my head low and wait for a reprimand.

                                MugenHaruka
                              • the_judy_justice
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 9, 2002
                                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "mugenharuka" <mugenharuka@y...> wrote:

                                  > Are we all speaking of the same pressed-fairy book? O_o Is there
                                  > more than one!?

                                  Maybe... The one I have here is by Brian Froud and Terry Jones, first
                                  published in Great Britain in 1994 by Pavilion Books Limited, London.

                                  The one you talk about, who is the drawer?
                                  I know that Allan Lee who made tons of illustrations for the Lord Of
                                  The Rings drew for another thick book about Fairies.

                                  > Oh dear. Maybe I'm just wrong and very very very very confused.
                                  If
                                  > so, then I bow my head low and wait for a reprimand.

                                  -smile-

                                  -Judy

                                  > MugenHaruka
                                • Alex Picchetti
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 9, 2002
                                    >   I don't know what the percentage is for just siblings, but
                                    identical twins it's 100% or close to, even if they're raised
                                    seperately, I think.<

                                    >>Well... if we think of how many people are in my family... and 10% is
                                    the average.  We have one other cousin who's at least bi. (that brings
                                    us up to 4)  I have 4 grandparents, 7 directly related aunts and
                                    uncles, 8 cousins, 2 parents and 2 siblings.  That makes 23 people.
                                    Statistically there should be only 2.3 of us.<<

                                    Heh. ^^ Well, my family is *thinks* Me, my half-sister, my mom, my grandmother; dad, half-sister #2, half-brother, grandmother #2, 1 aunt and 1 uncle, plus my great-aunt and 2 great-uncles, great-uncle's 3 kids, other great-uncle's 3 kids, 7 second cousins and four first cousins. So that's, what, 30? So 3... and there's only me, and potentially one of my first cousins. Maybe you got my family's extras? *l*

                                    Awww. It's too bad about your grandparents :/ Are they against it, or just silently disapproving? ^^; *sigh* Maybe once they get to know him...? ^^; I know I haven't told my grandparents (so, unless my dad has, as he's the only one that knows I'm bi), because my dad's family is Italian, and in varying degrees, Roman Catholic. (My dad's an atheist, though *l*)

                                    >>I get another little brother.  Tee hee!<<

                                    *laughs* I'd say "lucky", but my little brother is still at the age where he's the cutest thing on earth and I want to throttle him because he's an obnoxious brat. *LOL*

                                    >>--Lel, who wishes she could go to the wedding.  But I'm only allowed
                                    to go visit my family once every few years.  <pout>  Stupid Pacific
                                    Ocean that separates us.  Brothers threaten to come visit the mainland
                                    (Continental United States) soon.<<

                                    Aww, that's too bad! I know how you feel, though ^^; My (very close) cousin is getting married soon (well... next year sometime), but her boyfriend's Italian, and they're in Italy... *sigh* I threatened my dad with bodily harm if he didn't take me to the wedding ^^;;

                                    -Alex
                                  • agoraphobic wanderer
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 10, 2002
                                      Alex Picchetti wrote:

                                      > I don't know what the percentage is for just siblings, but identical
                                      >twins it's 100% or close to, even if they're raised seperately, I think.

                                      I have a vague memory from an anthropology class that I took last year that
                                      the percentage for identical twins is about 48%, which suggests that there
                                      are more than simply genetic factors at work in determining sexual
                                      orientation. For fraternal twins, I think that the percentage drops to
                                      around 25%. I can't remember off the top of my head what the stats were
                                      from the adoption studies.

                                      Peta, relurking.

                                    • dziwozony
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 10, 2002
                                        --- In Yuricon@y..., "agoraphobic wanderer"
                                        <the_infinite_broccoli@h...> wrote:
                                        > I have a vague memory from an anthropology class that I took last
                                        > year that the percentage for identical twins is about 48%, which
                                        > suggests that there are more than simply genetic factors at work in
                                        > determining sexual orientation. For fraternal twins, I think that
                                        > the percentage drops to around 25%. I can't remember off the top of
                                        > my head what the stats were from the adoption studies.

                                        From a quick skim over Medline, there are a number of recent
                                        twin studies published that suggest significant genetic factors at
                                        work in sexual orientation. One study suggested 65% correlation
                                        between monozygotic (identical) twins, with a ~30% correlation between
                                        dizygotic (fraternal) twins, which is about what you'd expect if that
                                        correlation were entirely genetic. Another twin study showed a
                                        difference in heritability between men and women; men only showed
                                        about 30% correlation, while women showed a 50-60% correlation. The
                                        last twin study, done with what I suspect is the same twin database I
                                        used for my master's thesis, only cites "significant heritability" in
                                        the abstract; I'll have to see if I can lay hands on the full paper at
                                        some point to see their numbers and models.

                                        I'm very interested in the reported differential heritability between
                                        men and women. It isn't surprising, of course, because so many things
                                        are differentially heritable according to sex. But it would
                                        contradict at least one notion that I've run across, which argues that
                                        women are more likely to choose to identify as gay because of
                                        political reasons than men are, so there's a significant number of
                                        women who aren't "really" lesbians. (Which seems to me to be yet
                                        another fairly misogynistic point of view.)

                                        Anyway. Tech tech tech.

                                        Jude
                                      • Dana G.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 10, 2002
                                          >My grandparents can't even handle the fact that my brother is going to
                                          >marry his boyfriend next month. They just don't talk about him...
                                          >it's sad, really because Tommy is so sweet.

                                          n" is it a legal one or no? because if your brother and his boyfriend get a
                                          civil union in vermont (which pretty damn close to marriage) then it's a
                                          legal "union" with all the rights to the marraige. but i'm not sure if it's
                                          recognized by other states yet or not...

                                          nebula, the late

                                        • Erika =)~
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 11, 2002
                                            Hey Zeph, My local bookstore has two copies..

                                            Want me to pick one up for you?

                                            Erika =)~
                                            I can deliver it at a later date.. say AniLesbo Con.. or one of the Local
                                            Ontario cons.. ( If you're in my neighbourhood)