Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians

  • crimsonlotus20
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2008
      > On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion. Psappho's legacy
      > should be up there with the Greek greats like Socrates and Plato
      > (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her legacy has been
      > marginalized in order to focus on the fact she liked girls.
      >
      > Dark Wyldchilde

      That's actually quite a crucial point. Since most of Sappho's canon is
      lost, we cannot be entirely certain of her contribution, but
      contemporaries thought highly of her and she was still extremely
      influential in Roman times, when, I believe, Horace refers to her as a
      major inspiration.

      The fact that she wrote love poems to girls is, in my view, also
      easily co-opted. Some have speculated that in relatively emancipated
      city-states like Sparta, a female parallel to male pederasty was
      possible. More plausibly, given the misogyny of most Classical Greek
      society (women were much less emancipated than Roman or, notably,
      Etruscan women), Sappho's attraction to her own biological gender
      simply did not garner a reaction amongst conservative experts, yet the
      fact Plato drew attention to her may be significant. Plato, after all,
      suggested that a state that did not cultivate the political and social
      functions of its female population was like an athlete who only trains
      his right arm.

      Regards,
      MdG
    • Wyld Childe
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2008
        Then there is the "proof" of her being with a man
        which survived when her poems were put to the torch?
        Needless to say I would want independent verification
        beyond the words of someone who's in court to try to
        dismantle the legacy of a woman who literally defined
        female same-sex loving.

        What dismays me the most is that this is just an entry
        in a far longer list of artistic and historical
        treasures destroyed in the name of "morality".

        I'm going to fight to keep off the soapbox here and
        rather end on a more lingusitic note.

        Here in the states there are people who call
        themselves "African Americans" and have never set foot
        on the Dark Continent, and while Latin America does
        have the word "America" in it they are a world away
        from life here in the States.

        Much like when Spike Lee sued the Spike tv channel or
        Donald Trump tried to copyright "You're Fired." some
        people need to get over themselves.

        DW

        --- crimsonlotus20 <crimsonlotus@...> wrote:

        > > On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion.
        > Psappho's legacy
        > > should be up there with the Greek greats like
        > Socrates and Plato
        > > (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her
        > legacy has been
        > > marginalized in order to focus on the fact she
        > liked girls.
        > >
        > > Dark Wyldchilde
        > >

        > That's actually quite a crucial point. Since most of
        > Sappho's canon is
        > lost, we cannot be entirely certain of her
        > contribution, but
        > contemporaries thought highly of her and she was
        > still extremely
        > influential in Roman times, when, I believe, Horace
        > refers to her as a
        > major inspiration.
        >
        > The fact that she wrote love poems to girls is, in
        > my view, also
        > easily co-opted. Some have speculated that in
        > relatively emancipated
        > city-states like Sparta, a female parallel to male
        > pederasty was
        > possible. More plausibly, given the misogyny of most
        > Classical Greek
        > society (women were much less emancipated than Roman
        > or, notably,
        > Etruscan women), Sappho's attraction to her own
        > biological gender
        > simply did not garner a reaction amongst
        > conservative experts, yet the
        > fact Plato drew attention to her may be significant.
        > Plato, after all,
        > suggested that a state that did not cultivate the
        > political and social
        > functions of its female population was like an
        > athlete who only trains
        > his right arm.
        >
        > Regards,
        > MdG