Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians

  • You need to ask nicely.
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2008
      The joys of nationalism, making sure that patriotism doesn't get
      bogged down by facts.

      Like a few years ago when Japan received interational protest
      because a release of history books in Japan negelected to mention
      Japan's history during WW2. (I won't go into details because this is
      a family list, but I'm sure their Nazi allies were impressed with
      their actions.)

      Or how here in the States I would guess 75%+ don't know that we too
      had our concentration camps here in the States where Japaneese
      Americans were sent to the camps for the crime of being Japaneese
      Americans.

      If anything the ability to ignore truths one is not comfortable with
      is one of the true commonalities shared by all people of the world.

      On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion. Psappho's legacy
      should be up there with the Greek greats like Socrates and Plato
      (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her legacy has been
      marginalized in order to focus on the fact she liked girls.

      Dark Wyldchilde
    • crimsonlotus20
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2008
        > On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion. Psappho's legacy
        > should be up there with the Greek greats like Socrates and Plato
        > (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her legacy has been
        > marginalized in order to focus on the fact she liked girls.
        >
        > Dark Wyldchilde

        That's actually quite a crucial point. Since most of Sappho's canon is
        lost, we cannot be entirely certain of her contribution, but
        contemporaries thought highly of her and she was still extremely
        influential in Roman times, when, I believe, Horace refers to her as a
        major inspiration.

        The fact that she wrote love poems to girls is, in my view, also
        easily co-opted. Some have speculated that in relatively emancipated
        city-states like Sparta, a female parallel to male pederasty was
        possible. More plausibly, given the misogyny of most Classical Greek
        society (women were much less emancipated than Roman or, notably,
        Etruscan women), Sappho's attraction to her own biological gender
        simply did not garner a reaction amongst conservative experts, yet the
        fact Plato drew attention to her may be significant. Plato, after all,
        suggested that a state that did not cultivate the political and social
        functions of its female population was like an athlete who only trains
        his right arm.

        Regards,
        MdG
      • Wyld Childe
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2008
          Then there is the "proof" of her being with a man
          which survived when her poems were put to the torch?
          Needless to say I would want independent verification
          beyond the words of someone who's in court to try to
          dismantle the legacy of a woman who literally defined
          female same-sex loving.

          What dismays me the most is that this is just an entry
          in a far longer list of artistic and historical
          treasures destroyed in the name of "morality".

          I'm going to fight to keep off the soapbox here and
          rather end on a more lingusitic note.

          Here in the states there are people who call
          themselves "African Americans" and have never set foot
          on the Dark Continent, and while Latin America does
          have the word "America" in it they are a world away
          from life here in the States.

          Much like when Spike Lee sued the Spike tv channel or
          Donald Trump tried to copyright "You're Fired." some
          people need to get over themselves.

          DW

          --- crimsonlotus20 <crimsonlotus@...> wrote:

          > > On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion.
          > Psappho's legacy
          > > should be up there with the Greek greats like
          > Socrates and Plato
          > > (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her
          > legacy has been
          > > marginalized in order to focus on the fact she
          > liked girls.
          > >
          > > Dark Wyldchilde
          > >

          > That's actually quite a crucial point. Since most of
          > Sappho's canon is
          > lost, we cannot be entirely certain of her
          > contribution, but
          > contemporaries thought highly of her and she was
          > still extremely
          > influential in Roman times, when, I believe, Horace
          > refers to her as a
          > major inspiration.
          >
          > The fact that she wrote love poems to girls is, in
          > my view, also
          > easily co-opted. Some have speculated that in
          > relatively emancipated
          > city-states like Sparta, a female parallel to male
          > pederasty was
          > possible. More plausibly, given the misogyny of most
          > Classical Greek
          > society (women were much less emancipated than Roman
          > or, notably,
          > Etruscan women), Sappho's attraction to her own
          > biological gender
          > simply did not garner a reaction amongst
          > conservative experts, yet the
          > fact Plato drew attention to her may be significant.
          > Plato, after all,
          > suggested that a state that did not cultivate the
          > political and social
          > functions of its female population was like an
          > athlete who only trains
          > his right arm.
          >
          > Regards,
          > MdG