Re: [Yuricon] Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2008
      Hi
      Searching for the source of homophobia in genetic things is too easy,
      and, in my opinion, it's dangerously close to racism. Of course,
      Crimsonlotus is right when it comes to the genetic origins of the
      people who are currently living in Greece, but still, coming this way
      we can reach many stupid conclusions. Political views have nothing to
      do with genetic. If you think it has, then you have to tell that
      Hitler was right.
      But, I don't think that it has something to do with homophobia. Some
      people might don't like be linked with homosexuals in any way - and I
      can understand them. Is it homophobia? I don't think so.
      regards
      Grisznak

      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2008
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: grisznakiw@...
        > Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:37:01 +0200
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians
        >
        > Hi
        > Searching for the source of homophobia in genetic things is too easy,
        > and, in my opinion, it's dangerously close to racism. Of course,
        > Crimsonlotus is right when it comes to the genetic origins of the
        > people who are currently living in Greece, but still, coming this way
        > we can reach many stupid conclusions. Political views have nothing to
        > do with genetic. If you think it has, then you have to tell that
        > Hitler was right.
        > But, I don't think that it has something to do with homophobia. Some
        > people might don't like be linked with homosexuals in any way - and I
        > can understand them. Is it homophobia? I don't think so.

        I'm inclined to agree with you Grisnak. (And that happens rarely enough to be notable. lol)

        Greece is a very religious country and a very conservative one. The people of Lesbos have long beeen unhappy with the word "Lesbian" being used to denote a sexual minority. It's not particularly surprising that they'd try and reclaim it. Much as I would like to see "American" be reclaimed from the image of a tobacco juice spitting redneck with a gun.

        Most importantly, its very easy to fall into the trap of writing hate-filled diatribes against people who we disagree with, and blaming them for hate-filled diatribes.

        The reality of the Ancient *anyones* was that humans are tribal, we cluster in packs of "us" and "them" and no society has accepted change without a long, dragged out fight against it.

        Let's not fall into traps of blame and criticism because we feel blamed and criticized.

        I'll allow this thread to continue, as long as we discuss it like the people we want other people to be. The moment it reverts to name-calling, religious intolerance, and heterophobia, it gets cut off. Understood?

        Get Free (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.
      • Maria di Girolamo
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2008
          First, I would like to apologise unreservedly if the terms of my response caused offense. It was not my intention to condemn the Greek people or, indeed, to make sweeping generalisations. I have been to Greece and, although I cannot, in all fairness, claim that I am crazy about the place or the contemporary culture, I have to objective: Greek Orthodoxy is a powerful religious tradition which is consistent in adhering to its tenets.

          The purpose of my specifying the origin of modern Greeks and modern Greek culture was to illustrate the extent to which history, national mythologies and preconceptions are regularly instrumentalised for political or propagandistic gain. I wished to underscore the fact that the re-elaboration of Greek history to feed contemporary nationalism and sexual/religious intolerance which, I must hasten to add, does not characterise Greece as a country. By illustrating the spurious historical foundations of this national mythology, I wished to draw attention to the bankruptcy of those who wish to re-write the rich and culturally indispensable history of Greece for their own purposes. Mine was not an assault on Greece, but on the mythologies which feed its nationalists and bigots.

          I sincerely apologise for any confusion caused.

                                        My very best regards,
                                                 MdG

          > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: alecto_fury@...
          > Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:37:41 -0400
          > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians
          >

          > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: grisznakiw@...
          > > Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:37:01 +0200
          > > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: OT: Lesbos island against the lesbians
          > >
          > > Hi
          > > Searching for the source of homophobia in genetic things is too easy,
          > > and, in my opinion, it's dangerously close to racism. Of course,
          > > Crimsonlotus is right when it comes to the genetic origins of the
          > > people who are currently living in Greece, but still, coming this way
          > > we can reach many stupid conclusions. Political views have nothing to
          > > do with genetic. If you think it has, then you have to tell that
          > > Hitler was right.
          > > But, I don't think that it has something to do with homophobia. Some
          > > people might don't like be linked with homosexuals in any way - and I
          > > can understand them. Is it homophobia? I don't think so.
          >
          > I'm inclined to agree with you Grisnak. (And that happens rarely enough to be notable. lol)
          >
          > Greece is a very religious country and a very conservative one. The people of Lesbos have long beeen unhappy with the word "Lesbian" being used to denote a sexual minority. It's not particularly surprising that they'd try and reclaim it. Much as I would like to see "American" be reclaimed from the image of a tobacco juice spitting redneck with a gun.
          >
          > Most importantly, its very easy to fall into the trap of writing hate-filled diatribes against people who we disagree with, and blaming them for hate-filled diatribes.
          >
          > The reality of the Ancient *anyones* was that humans are tribal, we cluster in packs of "us" and "them" and no society has accepted change without a long, dragged out fight against it.
          >
          > Let's not fall into traps of blame and criticism because we feel blamed and criticized.
          >
          > I'll allow this thread to continue, as long as we discuss it like the people we want other people to be. The moment it reverts to name-calling, religious intolerance, and heterophobia, it gets cut off. Understood?

          > http://www.yuricon.org

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > mailto:Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Invite your Facebook friends to Messenger! Get Started!
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2008
            Message
            My mother was raised Catholic, then became Baptist. She tried to enforce the no-nos of both religions. It seems to me that if you put Turks, Slavs, and Greeks into a blender -- you'll have a LOT of no-nos to play with.

            Ellen Rose

            <crimsonlotus@ hotmail.co. uk> wrote:
            > Maybe this has something to do with the fact that modern Greeks have
            > nothing to do with Ancient Greeks. Whatever happened, the lineage of
            > Aristotle, Pericles and Hypatia is dead. Maybe contemporary Greek
            > homophobia has something to do with the fact that modern Greeks are
            > the descendants of Hellenised Turks and Slavs. Most comprehensive
            > historical, archaeological and genetic research has concluded that the
            > Ancient Greeks died out in the 7th and 8th centuries AD with the
            > Slavic invasions.

            Genetic factor for homophobia?

            Isn't the Greek Orthodox Church a more likely suspect?

          • You need to ask nicely.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2008
              The joys of nationalism, making sure that patriotism doesn't get
              bogged down by facts.

              Like a few years ago when Japan received interational protest
              because a release of history books in Japan negelected to mention
              Japan's history during WW2. (I won't go into details because this is
              a family list, but I'm sure their Nazi allies were impressed with
              their actions.)

              Or how here in the States I would guess 75%+ don't know that we too
              had our concentration camps here in the States where Japaneese
              Americans were sent to the camps for the crime of being Japaneese
              Americans.

              If anything the ability to ignore truths one is not comfortable with
              is one of the true commonalities shared by all people of the world.

              On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion. Psappho's legacy
              should be up there with the Greek greats like Socrates and Plato
              (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her legacy has been
              marginalized in order to focus on the fact she liked girls.

              Dark Wyldchilde
            • crimsonlotus20
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2008
                > On a personal note it's assinine in my opinion. Psappho's legacy
                > should be up there with the Greek greats like Socrates and Plato
                > (who called her the 7th muse), but instead her legacy has been
                > marginalized in order to focus on the fact she liked girls.
                >
                > Dark Wyldchilde

                That's actually quite a crucial point. Since most of Sappho's canon is
                lost, we cannot be entirely certain of her contribution, but
                contemporaries thought highly of her and she was still extremely
                influential in Roman times, when, I believe, Horace refers to her as a
                major inspiration.

                The fact that she wrote love poems to girls is, in my view, also
                easily co-opted. Some have speculated that in relatively emancipated
                city-states like Sparta, a female parallel to male pederasty was
                possible. More plausibly, given the misogyny of most Classical Greek
                society (women were much less emancipated than Roman or, notably,
                Etruscan women), Sappho's attraction to her own biological gender
                simply did not garner a reaction amongst conservative experts, yet the
                fact Plato drew attention to her may be significant. Plato, after all,
                suggested that a state that did not cultivate the political and social
                functions of its female population was like an athlete who only trains
                his right arm.

                Regards,
                MdG
              • Wyld Childe
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                  Then there is the "proof" of her being with a man
                  which survived when her poems were put to the torch?
                  Needless to say I would want independent verification
                  beyond the words of someone who's in court to try to
                  dismantle the legacy of a woman who literally defined
                  female same-sex loving.

                  What dismays me the most is that this is just an entry
                  in a far longer list of artistic and historical
                  treasures destroyed in the name of "morality".

                  I'm going to fight to keep off the soapbox here and
                  rather end on a more lingusitic note.

                  Here in the states there are people who call
                  themselves "African Americans" and have never set foot
                  on the Dark Continent, and while Latin America does
                  have the word "America" in it they are a world away
                  from life here in the States.

                  Much like when Spike Lee sued the Spike tv channel or
                  Donald Trump tried to copyright "You're Fired." some
                  people need to get over themselves.

                  DW

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and