Re: Alternate Endings

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 3 5:51 PM
      Well with the white petals arc of Marimite I always wonder how
      different Sei's character would have been if she had reacted to the
      news about Shiori differently…

      Sei:
      You're leaving after you graduate, to become a nun?

      Shiori:
      …Yes.

      [light tap with a paper fan]

      Sei:
      Honestly…

      Shiori:
      Eh?

      Sei:
      You should have said so earlier! I was trying not to be too
      overbearing because you're a moe shy type, but if we only have three
      years then I want to build as many good memories as possible starting
      now to make up for all the time we wasted being slow and romantic! Now
      is the time for amazingly binding.

      Shiori:
      Ah! Sei! This completely lacks drama and you will never achieve a
      `cool and wise' character status.

      Sei:
      Screw that! I'd rather be happy! I'm pretty sure that happy people
      have cool personalities too.

      Shiori:
      What about after I graduate and join the convent?

      Sei:
      That's not the ideal situation but at least I did what I could. Anyway
      it's not like nuns live in another world! I can still visit you.

      Shiori:
      [turns to face the eye of the narrative]
      You see, this is clearly the right thing to do but would people read
      about it? No.

      Sei:
      Shut up and let me have my fantasy!

      ***REASONING RANT START***
      Because it always seemed to me that there where two Sei. One the cool
      character that appears in Yumi's time that everyone seems to like, and
      two the character that existed just before Yumi appeared in the
      narrative. The one that was unnecessarily mean to Shimako.

      It is like being mean to a baby. You shouldn't be mean against those
      who cannot understand malice. It is just wasted energy.

      So whenever I read Sei doing something cool now that one flashback
      story leaps strait to my head and lowers the coolness of whatever I am
      reading right now by a rank. So maybe if Sei became a cool person
      spontaneously (instead of through tragedy like a real person, eg like
      in the actual story) around the Shiori arc we could have the same cool
      Sei who was never intentionally mean to an innocent person (Shimako)
      ***REASONING RANT END***
      ++++

      [Spoiler space for end of blue drop]

      It would also be great if at the end of Bue Drop instead of suicide
      ramming the giant "genocide mode" ship Hagino ejected out inside a Vic
      Viper rip off and shot the behemoth to death in an old school arcade
      boss battle. Then in the end credits we see `HIGH SCORE' with H. S.
      or some other short hand for Hagino's name being typed in.

      Then the epilogue could have been the trailer for the Gradius style
      game that they could release as a pseudo sequel where you play Hagino
      defeating the entire invading fleet in a fighter that explodes after
      one hit.

      It would be a poor ending but they would make more money of
      merchandising.

      > I afraid of spoilers...when I was younger I cried when I reached the
      end of
      > Lady Oscar and Oniisama E, where my favourite characters dies. Today, I
      > think that such dramatic endings have their proses.
      > In Marimite, I'd really like to see that in the end Sei meets Shiori
      after
      > all these years. Oh well, I may dream.
      > regards
      > Grisznak
      >
      > 2008/4/3, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...>:
      > >
      > > So much of anime and manga ends in a way that is, to us Yuri fans,
      > > unsatisfactory. (Insert my usual caution about managing expectations
      > > or risking disappointment, here. ;-) )
      > >
      > > For whatever reason, many of you expected a different ending for
      > > Aria, for Utena, for Mai HiME, etc. So, at the risk of being
      > > spoilery, let's rewrite the endings.
      > >
      > > For instance, if *I* had written the end of Aria, Alicia, Akira and
      > > Athena would have left their respective comapnies and opened up a
      > > new company together. Akira and Alicia would be sharing one room and
      > > Athena would have the other.
      > >
      > > Clearly a much more sensible ending that the one we got. lol
      > >
      > > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Erica
      > >
      > > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      > > http://okazu.blogspot.com

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3 6:40 PM

        > So much of anime and manga ends in a way that is, to us Yuri fans,
        > unsatisfactory. (Insert my usual caution about managing
        expectations
        > or risking disappointment, here. ;-) )
        > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!

        I'm quite used to series with weird, sometimes ambiguous endings
        because they seem to be such a staple. No matter how happy or sad
        some endings get, I tend to take them at face-value.

        But if I had any personal picks of endings that should be changed it
        would be Kare Kano/His and Her Circumstances (jumbled last three
        episodes) and Last Exile (rushed and artifical happy ending after the
        overall series' depressing tone).

        But you're asking us what the ending *should* be; unfortunately I'm
        not creative enough on the spot to speak for these two titles. But
        I'll definitely speak for the Alien Nine anime. It's not so much
        changing the ending as extending it. The four-episode OVA should've
        had at least two more episodes to cover the rest of the three-volume
        manga. That way the anime wouldn't have picked a depressingly awkward
        spot as its conclusion. It would have led to a more fulfilling
        ending, the kind of which that doesn't make you feel like you wasted
        your time checking this title out, and Yuri would just slightly have
        risen at least somewhat closer to the heroine she was supposed to be,
        as opposed to the annoyingly useless crybaby she was from the anime's
        start-to-finish.—Pachy
      • catchperfect
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3 10:09 PM
          Ah, I'm just starting to learn that there are so many unsatisfactory
          or unresolved endings as I dive deeper into the lovely world of Yuri!

          I just finished the Read Or Dream (ROD) manga and while the focus
          seemed to be on Anita and Hisa, my favorite storyline was actually
          Maggie and Fay, the girl who was dying of brain decay and needed
          surgery (though she is adamantly against surgery), which was in Vol.
          1. Did people read this? I don't know, so I'll drop down a bit in case
          there are those who didn't read this:

          SPOILER>>>

          SPOILER>>>>>

          Basically Maggie encourages Fay to go ahead and not be afraid and get
          the surgery. Maggie reads a book aloud to Fay - it's rather touching.
          Fay says, "I was going to ask for a kiss, too..." And of course,
          Maggie blushes, Fay says she'll wait for that kiss after she gets her
          operation. And then in the next panel, Fay's head is wrapped up, she's
          smiling and asleep, says Thank You.

          But...where's the kiss when Fay returns? Does she ever return? NO! In
          the next volumes, she never appears again.

          So...My ending is super basic: Fay returns from her operation, Maggie
          tends to her as she recuperates and there's a fabulous kiss. It's all
          I want, folks.

          > So much of anime and manga ends in a way that is, to us Yuri fans,
          > unsatisfactory. (Insert my usual caution about managing expectations
          > or risking disappointment, here. ;-) )
          >
          > For whatever reason, many of you expected a different ending for
          > Aria, for Utena, for Mai HiME, etc. So, at the risk of being
          > spoilery, let's rewrite the endings.
          >
          > For instance, if *I* had written the end of Aria, Alicia, Akira and
          > Athena would have left their respective comapnies and opened up a
          > new company together. Akira and Alicia would be sharing one room and
          > Athena would have the other.
          >
          > Clearly a much more sensible ending that the one we got. lol
          >
          > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!

          > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
          > http://okazu.blogspot.com

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4 6:27 AM
            Message
             Alternate endings? That's why people write fanfic - so they can give the people they love the story they deserve.
            Ellen Rose
          • samantha luquin
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6 9:36 PM

              I've never really been one to question endings no matter how much I hated them. Something horrid could happen and I'd accept unhappily. There is one exception to this, though it isn't really yuri and it isn't really manga or anime.  The Fire Emblem games are chock full of characters and conversations called supports which naturally of course lead to a very wide pairing fan base. Some characters even get special endings together!

              There are two characters in the seventh game that I like to pair up, Lyn and Florina. Sadly even with supports they go their seperate ways and the lands of Sacae and Illia (where they live) are destroyed by Bern. So if I could change this in some way they'd be living together...somewhere. Possibly Sacae...but they'd die. Ok, new plan. They live together in Caelin, the end. Yes that would work nicely.

              -Samantha
              .

            • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7 2:46 PM
                "Meet Pam Akumachi, an energetic 13-year-old junior high student who has just turned into ...a little devil! One day, when Pam and her friends try to summon the "benign devil," the magic circle goes out of control and Pam is transported to a strange pararell world where angels and devils reside in an uneasy coexistence."

                It's pretty much devil in training and angel fall in love.

              • Alkmaion
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 10 7:03 AM
                  Gals!: Ran Kotobuki decides NOT to become a policewomen, but a lawyer
                  instead...specializing on civil rights(suing the police for harassment).
                  together with her girlfriend Aya Hoshino

                  > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!

                • Kumiko Yamazaki
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 11 2:15 AM
                    Okay..if we're going that way...

                    Candice White Audrey realizes that she's NEVER gonna get anywhere with boys and runs off with Annie and Patty to run their own small hospital in a small town.  And at night, they do lots of friendship bonding. *^^*

                    Hhmm...not that good?  How about Sakura Wars...forget who ends up wiht the boy!  Let the french girl or the Russian have him...I want Sakura/Sumire!!! o.o I could picture them running away into the sunset, arguing until bed time... :)

                    Ok...I be quiet now.  ^^

                    Kumi-chan.

                    On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Alkmaion <minyer@...> wrote:
                    Gals!: Ran Kotobuki decides NOT to become a policewomen, but a lawyer
                    instead...specializing on civil rights(suing the police for harassment).
                    together with her girlfriend Aya Hoshino

                    > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    " We are many Buddy, they are few.
                    They'll tell you lies to make you doubt your fellow man.
                    Like cats and mice just can't get along.
                    It suits the bosses, Buddy, and it serves them fine.
                    Cause it keeps us working folks from being strong."

                    Lefty, "My Name is Buddy" from Ry Cooder.
                  • Laquandus Marion
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 11 7:07 AM
                      Kazumi survive and both her and Jun living happily ever after
                      Jo survive the explosion and with Meg making a better team

                      It kind my stupid fanboy fantasy

                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Kumiko Yamazaki" <pretty.cure@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Okay..if we're going that way...
                      >
                      > Candice White Audrey realizes that she's NEVER gonna get anywhere
                      with boys
                      > and runs off with Annie and Patty to run their own small hospital
                      in a small
                      > town. And at night, they do lots of friendship bonding. *^^*
                      >
                      > Hhmm...not that good? How about Sakura Wars...forget who ends up
                      wiht the
                      > boy! Let the french girl or the Russian have him...I want
                      Sakura/Sumire!!!
                      > o.o I could picture them running away into the sunset, arguing
                      until bed
                      > time... :)
                      >
                      > Ok...I be quiet now. ^^
                      >
                      > Kumi-chan.
                      >

                      > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Alkmaion <minyer@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Gals!: Ran Kotobuki decides NOT to become a policewomen, but a
                      lawyer
                      > > instead...specializing on civil rights(suing the police for
                      harassment).
                      > > together with her girlfriend Aya Hoshino
                      > >

                      > > > So - pick a series you enjoyed and tell us how it really ended!
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers,
                      > > >
                      > > > Erica

                      > --
                      > " We are many Buddy, they are few.
                      > They'll tell you lies to make you doubt your fellow man.
                      > Like cats and mice just can't get along.
                      > It suits the bosses, Buddy, and it serves them fine.
                      > Cause it keeps us working folks from being strong."
                      >
                      > Lefty, "My Name is Buddy" from Ry Cooder.

                    • BlackSkaven
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 12 8:47 AM
                        Andi, Andi Spring, Spring wrote:

                        > "Meet Pam Akumachi, an energetic 13-year-old junior high student who has
                        > just turned into ...a little devil! One day, when Pam and her friends
                        > try to summon the "benign devil," the magic circle goes out of control
                        > and Pam is transported to a strange pararell world where angels and
                        > devils reside in an uneasy coexistence."

                        > It's pretty much devil in training and angel fall in love.

                        The series caught my interest since when it has first been listed in
                        Diamond Comics' Previews. No scan was to be found - so I hesitated to
                        buy just on a tiny cover picture. Well - then someone posted an image
                        from the last chapter that persuaded me. ^^;
                        I bought all 5 volumes and I CERTAINLY don't regret it.
                        Nice story, nice artwork and of course NICE YURI. ^^
                        Read it within a day.

                        The artist's page is here:
                        http://hanginthere.cool.ne.jp

                        BlackSkaven
                      • ingenue183
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 21 3:25 AM
                          hmmm... for me it'd be

                          AZUMANGA DAIOH: THE UNIVERSITY YEARS - where Sasaki and Kaorin
                          "accidentally" meet up at uni when Sasaki joins the equestrian club
                          and loses control of her white horse and crashes into Kaorin. They
                          bond in hospital and have lots of cute stuffed and real animals
                          together forever :) heh heh.