Re: Aria: The ENDINATION

  • sarcastic_weasel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008

      > Still distracting Yahoo...
      >
      > On 01-Apr-2008 04:44 -0400, Sean Gaffney wrote:

      > > > SPOILER
      > > >

      > > > SPACE
      > > >

      > > > felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that -
      it's not
      > > > like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything
      else,
      > > > and she can only have been about 25 or so...
      > > You may try to set the series in a futuristic Mars that's meant to
      be Italy, but
      > > in the end, it seems Undine is yet another Japanese OL job, where
      you go off
      > > to get married.
      >
      > Exactly what I thought (although my Japanese wasn't good enough to pick
      > out /why/ she was leaving from the episode itself - I just saw a blog
      > post this morning). It was like somebody dropped a giant sexist
      > anvil right in the middle of the episode.

      Japanese anime/TV/manga should not surprise you anymore. I remember
      seeing an article in the Japan Times just a month ago mentioning how
      Japan is pretty much in last place in its treatment of women in pretty
      much every category of industrialized nations. And culture is always
      reflected back by its media, which influences its culture in a nasty
      little feedback loop.

      But ARIA wasn't just an anime, it was an anime based on seinen manga,
      so this should surprise no one. Disappointing? Absolutely. I was truly
      bummed that they showed Alicia the door. (Although the scene was
      pretty.) Bur surprised? Sadly, I'm not.

      > > I'd have been feeling better about it if we'd SEEN or knew
      > > ANYTHING about the husband, but I will admit to expecting
      something like
      > > this for quite a while.
      >
      > Absolutely. It's just bad writing, really. But yes, sadly it wasn't
      > surprising.

      No, it wasn't surprising at all... but yeah, totally creepy/weird and
      a letdown. Athena, too. Both of them just sort of slipped off in a
      "Oh, yeah, I'm getting married. My husband-bot just showed up in the
      mail" kind of way. Just totally weird. o_O I'm chalking it up to its
      genre.

      At least Alicia wound up working at the Gondola/Undine Association, so
      it looked like she was still working... and Grandma is only in her
      50s? Scary how she could shrink like that in 10-15 years. I should
      have kept my childhood clothing for when I get older then.

      Then again, if it was my job to haul tourists around all day in a boat
      and remain civil even when they act like uncivilized boors, I wouldn't
      have lasted as long as Alicia did. I'd give myself 5, 10 minutes max
      before someone got an oar to the head, or maybe a long drink of canal
      water. :D

      In spite of its flaws, though, I liked Aria as something to watch when
      I was feeling tired. Scenery Porn FTW. I just wished I could have seen
      a little less of the 19th century attitudes towards women and a little
      more interaction between Akari and Ai-chan as her new apprentice. Ah well.
    • Aereal Reis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
        using spoiler space by telling the disturbing news that I read on the
        coyuhi forums, about a women crotch scent, or something.. I mean,
        really.. do you wake up one day and say "I wanna smell like...!". I'll
        put the link ot the site (no minors!) at the end of this post.. ok
        enough spoiler space.

        SPOILER!!

        Let me cry myself to sleep tonight -.- I read the news on the
        "hontouni sou omou" blog.. I find it very killing for a manga like
        Aria, and I thought Kozue Amano was better writer than that (wait! I'm
        assuming the manga is pretty much like that.. I deeply wish the
        writers got fired and they hired KnM's ones <.<).

        Honestly, its like a bucket of cold water, as Serge pointed out, some
        could see it coming but not me.

        I live in Mexico (yes, I'm Mexican <.<) and at least /I/ want a
        girlfriend/wife who is a successful professional and knows what she
        wants. Sadly many men like doll-like women and even more sad is the
        fact many girls /want/ to fit that role..

        But let us (or at least me) remember Aria for the good yuri-ish things
        it had and the professional, glamorous, hard working divas the three
        water fairies were, far above any man I found in the whole series.