Aria: The ENDINATION

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 12:41 AM
      La la la

      Here's some text to distract Yahoo from the rest of the message.

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      No, Akari, you idiot! You're supposed to /kiss/ the bride!

      (Seriously, I'm not the only one who thought that looked like a wedding,
      am I?)

      If the animators were going to spend that much effort pushing
      Akari/Alicia over the One True Pairing (Alicia/Akira), the least they
      could have done would have been to give us a little more payoff.

      Anyway, I guess the final episode settles the question over Aria
      Company's bizarre dead-woman's-boots system of recruitment. It just
      felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that - it's not
      like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything else,
      and she can only have been about 25 or so...
      .oO("To that I can only say: `penile sex'." )
    • Sean Gaffney
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 1:44 AM
        On 1 Apr 2008 at 8:41, Adam Jones wrote:

        > La la la
        >
        > Here's some text to distract Yahoo from the rest of the message.
        >

        > SPOILER
        >

        > SPACE
        >

        > Anyway, I guess the final episode settles the question over Aria
        > Company's bizarre dead-woman's-boots system of recruitment. It just
        > felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that - it's not
        > like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything else,
        > and she can only have been about 25 or so...

        You may try to set the series in a futuristic Mars that's meant to be Italy, but
        in the end, it seems Undine is yet another Japanese OL job, where you go off
        to get married. I'd have been feeling better about it if we'd SEEN or knew
        ANYTHING about the husband, but I will admit to expecting something like
        this for quite a while. Oh well.

        --SG
      • Adam Jones
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 4:24 AM
          Still distracting Yahoo...

          On 01-Apr-2008 04:44 -0400, Sean Gaffney wrote:

          > > SPOILER
          > >

          > > SPACE
          > >

          > > felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that - it's not
          > > like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything else,
          > > and she can only have been about 25 or so...
          > You may try to set the series in a futuristic Mars that's meant to be Italy, but
          > in the end, it seems Undine is yet another Japanese OL job, where you go off
          > to get married.

          Exactly what I thought (although my Japanese wasn't good enough to pick
          out /why/ she was leaving from the episode itself - I just saw a blog
          post this morning). It was like somebody dropped a giant sexist
          anvil right in the middle of the episode.

          > I'd have been feeling better about it if we'd SEEN or knew
          > ANYTHING about the husband, but I will admit to expecting something like
          > this for quite a while.

          Absolutely. It's just bad writing, really. But yes, sadly it wasn't
          surprising.

          Of course, maybe there's a secret law about undines being virgins. ;)
          .oO("Or is your keyboard broken?" )
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 6:03 AM
            > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > From: adam@...
            > Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:41:27 +0100
            > Subject: [Yuricon] Aria: The ENDINATION
            >
            > La la la
            >
            > Here's some text to distract Yahoo from the rest of the message.

            And this is me doing likewise, because the masheen's ever so helpful at chosing the newest text to show on the preview...

            > SPOILER
            >

            > SPACE
            >

            > No, Akari, you idiot! You're supposed to /kiss/ the bride!

            Well DUH. I mean, haven't I been saying that all along?

            >> Anyway, I guess the final episode settles the question over Aria
            > Company's bizarre dead-woman's-boots system of recruitment. It just
            > felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that - it's not
            > like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything else,
            > and she can only have been about 25 or so...

            You know the deal - at 25 a woman is like a Christmas cake...

            But in reality, I think it's shifted to 30 for most women and 40 for the truly recalcitrant these days.

            Of course anime women get married and stop working - because the anime-watching audience is, despite the fact that it's completely pointless for them to have an opinion, since they do not participate in such social cycles, are very consevative and want to think of women as living for their men. (Well, duh, I say again. Of course every maladjusted LFB out there lives in hope fo finding an Alicia for himself. Western LFBs have access to mail-order brides, at least.) What's the payoff for the Fanboy who watches if meek, mild, perfect Alicia says, "I'm getting married, but of course I'll keep working!" None. He wants to believe that his perfect women would immediately take the good wife, wise mother role and cater to his every need.

            In a nutshell, this is why I like Hana no Asuka-gumi. Because Hibari-sama is crazy and Youko is a psychopath, and nothing will ever change that, not even death. No meek, mild women there. :-)

            http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/photos.aspx?gid=164&ocid=T003MSN51N1653A
          • sarcastic_weasel
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 12:58 PM

              > Still distracting Yahoo...
              >
              > On 01-Apr-2008 04:44 -0400, Sean Gaffney wrote:

              > > > SPOILER
              > > >

              > > > SPACE
              > > >

              > > > felt a little unfair to me to shuffle Alicia away like that -
              it's not
              > > > like she'd previously shown any signs of wanting to do anything
              else,
              > > > and she can only have been about 25 or so...
              > > You may try to set the series in a futuristic Mars that's meant to
              be Italy, but
              > > in the end, it seems Undine is yet another Japanese OL job, where
              you go off
              > > to get married.
              >
              > Exactly what I thought (although my Japanese wasn't good enough to pick
              > out /why/ she was leaving from the episode itself - I just saw a blog
              > post this morning). It was like somebody dropped a giant sexist
              > anvil right in the middle of the episode.

              Japanese anime/TV/manga should not surprise you anymore. I remember
              seeing an article in the Japan Times just a month ago mentioning how
              Japan is pretty much in last place in its treatment of women in pretty
              much every category of industrialized nations. And culture is always
              reflected back by its media, which influences its culture in a nasty
              little feedback loop.

              But ARIA wasn't just an anime, it was an anime based on seinen manga,
              so this should surprise no one. Disappointing? Absolutely. I was truly
              bummed that they showed Alicia the door. (Although the scene was
              pretty.) Bur surprised? Sadly, I'm not.

              > > I'd have been feeling better about it if we'd SEEN or knew
              > > ANYTHING about the husband, but I will admit to expecting
              something like
              > > this for quite a while.
              >
              > Absolutely. It's just bad writing, really. But yes, sadly it wasn't
              > surprising.

              No, it wasn't surprising at all... but yeah, totally creepy/weird and
              a letdown. Athena, too. Both of them just sort of slipped off in a
              "Oh, yeah, I'm getting married. My husband-bot just showed up in the
              mail" kind of way. Just totally weird. o_O I'm chalking it up to its
              genre.

              At least Alicia wound up working at the Gondola/Undine Association, so
              it looked like she was still working... and Grandma is only in her
              50s? Scary how she could shrink like that in 10-15 years. I should
              have kept my childhood clothing for when I get older then.

              Then again, if it was my job to haul tourists around all day in a boat
              and remain civil even when they act like uncivilized boors, I wouldn't
              have lasted as long as Alicia did. I'd give myself 5, 10 minutes max
              before someone got an oar to the head, or maybe a long drink of canal
              water. :D

              In spite of its flaws, though, I liked Aria as something to watch when
              I was feeling tired. Scenery Porn FTW. I just wished I could have seen
              a little less of the 19th century attitudes towards women and a little
              more interaction between Akari and Ai-chan as her new apprentice. Ah well.
            • Aereal Reis
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2 8:49 PM
                using spoiler space by telling the disturbing news that I read on the
                coyuhi forums, about a women crotch scent, or something.. I mean,
                really.. do you wake up one day and say "I wanna smell like...!". I'll
                put the link ot the site (no minors!) at the end of this post.. ok
                enough spoiler space.

                SPOILER!!

                Let me cry myself to sleep tonight -.- I read the news on the
                "hontouni sou omou" blog.. I find it very killing for a manga like
                Aria, and I thought Kozue Amano was better writer than that (wait! I'm
                assuming the manga is pretty much like that.. I deeply wish the
                writers got fired and they hired KnM's ones <.<).

                Honestly, its like a bucket of cold water, as Serge pointed out, some
                could see it coming but not me.

                I live in Mexico (yes, I'm Mexican <.<) and at least /I/ want a
                girlfriend/wife who is a successful professional and knows what she
                wants. Sadly many men like doll-like women and even more sad is the
                fact many girls /want/ to fit that role..

                But let us (or at least me) remember Aria for the good yuri-ish things
                it had and the professional, glamorous, hard working divas the three
                water fairies were, far above any man I found in the whole series.