Burst Angel

  • Mitchell Gilks
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
      It was terrible...that is all. The best thing that can be said about
      it, was that it ended. Not the ending itself though, which made
      absolutely no sense, and was terrible.

      I just finished the 3 Bee Train's "girls with guns"
      series, "Noir" "Madlax" and "El Cazador de la Bruja" which I thought
      had pretty lame action. Though they weren't exactly surrounded around
      action, as much as mystery. The action in Burst Angel is so, so lame.
      The whole series reminded me of the new ninja turtles series, add blood
      and swaring. The Bee Trains series were all good, I liked them all.
      Though not for their action. El Cazador was my favorite of the three.

      I would suggest, that if you haven't seen Burst Angel, and are thinking
      about it...don't. You will regret wasting the time, that you could have
      spent watching paint dry.

      Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go bang my head against the
      wall in hopes of damaging my short term memory, and avoid retaining as
      much of Burst Angel as possible.
    • juntima_be
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
        I quite like it though hehe.
        I've seen season 2 teaser and look forward to its release.
        Besides box set and OVA, I also have OST perfect edition,
        opening/ending single, and all 4 Bakuretsu Tenshi Suit CD, and picture
        book...hmmm I think I'm big fan of it! LOL

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@...> wrote:

        > It was terrible...that is all. The best thing that can be said about
        > it, was that it ended. Not the ending itself though, which made
        > absolutely no sense, and was terrible.
        >
        > I just finished the 3 Bee Train's "girls with guns"
        > series, "Noir" "Madlax" and "El Cazador de la Bruja" which I thought
        > had pretty lame action. Though they weren't exactly surrounded around
        > action, as much as mystery. The action in Burst Angel is so, so lame.
        > The whole series reminded me of the new ninja turtles series, add blood
        > and swaring. The Bee Trains series were all good, I liked them all.
        > Though not for their action. El Cazador was my favorite of the three.
        >
        > I would suggest, that if you haven't seen Burst Angel, and are thinking
        > about it...don't. You will regret wasting the time, that you could have
        > spent watching paint dry.
        >
        > Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go bang my head against the
        > wall in hopes of damaging my short term memory, and avoid retaining as
        > much of Burst Angel as possible.

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
          On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Mitchell Gilks <gilksm@...> wrote:
          > The whole series reminded me of the new ninja turtles series, add blood
          > and swaring.

          Well in the case of Nu-TMNT, it's just sticking closer to the original
          comics. Baxter Stockman being black, the alien triceratops, Splinter
          as mutated rat (not human turned into mutant rat), etc.

          Anyway, while I enjoyed watching Burst Angel, I don't really remember
          much, no head-banging required. Meg/Jo fans should get the manga which
          is set before the TV series.
        • kieliran
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
            I've had Bakuretsu Tenshi for a while now. The anime was so-so but I
            enjoyed the manga quite a bit more. The series is a rather short-ish
            three volumes and we don't get a story of how Jo and Meg came to be
            together like we do in the anime. I didn't find the anime horrible
            (there are so many other anime that hold that dubious honour) but it
            wasn't a riveting thriller either.

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "juntima_be" <juntima@...> wrote:

              > I quite like it though hehe.
              > I've seen season 2 teaser and look forward to its release.

              Are you talking about that 'trailer' on the OVA disc? If so, from
              what I know it's not a preview of the second season; it's just a big
              what-if montage showcasing the character designer's most detailed
              work in fluid action. I for one think it would have looked promising
              if it was a real trailer for a continuation.
              The series turned out a little different from what I expected, but
              I always took an open-minded approach with each series I watch and I
              still enjoyed it; I find the OP and ED themes catchy. Even for an
              action title, it seems like it's supposed to be a slice-of-life
              series with random events and where nothing happens, and you just
              watch the girls go about their lives. It seems only natural it would
              lead to a conclusion that just leaves viewers hanging, leaving all
              the more reason for a sequel series, although I don't believe they
              will. If that kind of charm doesn't appeal to viewers then of course
              not everyone will like it (I'm aware of other reasons for disliking
              it, but regardless)--Pachy
            • Mitchell Gilks
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "juntima_be" <juntima@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I quite like it though hehe.
                > > I've seen season 2 teaser and look forward to its release.
                >

                > Are you talking about that 'trailer' on the OVA disc? If so,
                from
                > what I know it's not a preview of the second season; it's just a
                big
                > what-if montage showcasing the character designer's most detailed
                > work in fluid action. I for one think it would have looked
                promising
                > if it was a real trailer for a continuation.
                > The series turned out a little different from what I expected,
                but
                > I always took an open-minded approach with each series I watch and
                > still enjoyed it; I find the OP and ED themes catchy. Even for an
                > action title, it seems like it's supposed to be a slice-of-life
                > series with random events and where nothing happens, and you just
                > watch the girls go about their lives. It seems only natural it
                would
                > lead to a conclusion that just leaves viewers hanging, leaving all
                > the more reason for a sequel series, although I don't believe they
                > will. If that kind of charm doesn't appeal to viewers then of
                course
                > not everyone will like it (I'm aware of other reasons for disliking
                > it, but regardless)--Pachy

                I don't understand how anyone could like it. For an action series, I
                expect good action, not lame predictable repetitive action. I might
                have forgiven it if it went further into Jo's and Meg's relationship
                (as I understand that it does in the manga). As it was, Meg was a
                completely useless character, that did nothing but give Jo a reason
                to blow things up and kill people. Well, needless to say that I coul
                go on and on about its short comings, but I can't think of a single
                good thing about it. It was well below par in every respect. I have
                been known to like bad series if it has something that salvages it. I
                didn't see anything in this series. When I first started watching it,
                I chose english, because I like to give it a chance before I decide
                the voice acting is too poor. This time, I thought that they must
                have lamed up the dialogue, so I switched it to japanese, but it was
                just originally lame I guess. "Lets have a drink in hell, amigo" =
                cool "you just entered a whole new world, welcome to hell" = lame.

                I of course don't pretend to be an authority on what is good and what
                isn't, but given what I have come to expect from action in anime,
                this series fails. Given what I have come to expect from characters,
                it fails, given what I have come to expect from plot, it fails, theme
                it fails, story, it fails. Even music, it fails. The thing is, I
                don't even expect a lot. I don't expect anime to be made for me, so
                even if I don't like something, I wouldn't call it bad for that. I
                just don't see how anyone could think Burst Angel was any good,
                compared to other action anime. Which is sad, because I wanted this
                to be good, so few action anime have female leads.

                Too bad there aren't any series that live up to action from final
                fantasy. Final fantasy 13 looks spectacular, I can't wait. They are
                bringing back the gunblade, perhaps they have finally made a
                character in the final fantasy universe that can rival Squall. I
                certainly hope so. A female main character to boot.

                It's cool if people liked Burst Angel. They must have to have made an
                anime, and then had it dubbed even. Though there are many things that
                have been made that I think are terrible. I'm just giving my opinion,
                for whatever it's worth.
              • juntima_be
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                  yes I assume it's season 2 teaser lol not a trailer of course.
                  I haven't heard there's season 2 coming though, not even in production
                  or anything :(
                  I think they would like to see how rating is.

                  Well, it's not the greatest anime of all time or anything, not even
                  close, but it's not so bad either. There're lot more anime that worse
                  than that, some that I couldn't even finish first few episodes and had
                  to skip through to watch the last just to see the ending and just so I
                  could cross it out from my to-watch list lol

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: gilksm@...
                    > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:37:36 +0000
                    > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Burst Angel
                    >
                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" wrote:
                    >>
                    >> --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "juntima_be" wrote:
                    >>>
                    >If that kind of charm doesn't appeal to viewers then of
                    > course
                    >> not everyone will like it (I'm aware of other reasons for disliking
                    >> it, but regardless)--Pachy
                    >>

                    > I don't understand how anyone could like it.

                    Well, probably because other people are not you and therefore have different criteria.

                    It's okay to not like a series. It's not so okay to berate folks for liking it.

                    I quite liked the manga, and I definitely wish that anime were as good, but there's way worse than Bakuretsu Tenshi when it comes to formulaic action stories.

                    Test your Star IQ
                    http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_HMTAGMAR
                  • Mitchell Gilks
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 29, 2008
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > > From: gilksm@...
                      > > Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:37:36 +0000
                      > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Burst Angel
                      > >
                      > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "juntima_be" wrote:
                      > >>>
                      > >If that kind of charm doesn't appeal to viewers then of
                      > > course
                      > >> not everyone will like it (I'm aware of other reasons for
                      disliking
                      > >> it, but regardless)--Pachy
                      > >>

                      > > I don't understand how anyone could like it.
                      >
                      > Well, probably because other people are not you and therefore have
                      different criteria.

                      > It's okay to not like a series. It's not so okay to berate folks
                      for liking it.

                      > I quite liked the manga, and I definitely wish that anime were as
                      good, but there's way worse than Bakuretsu Tenshi when it comes to
                      formulaic action stories.

                      Well now, I thought that I covered that when I explicated that it was
                      merely my opinion. Saying that I can't understand someone's
                      preferences is hardly berating them. Unless you somehow think that if
                      you don't understand something, then it must be wrong, or flawed.
                      Though that is clearly nonsense.

                      You appear to have a hard time differentiating between insult and
                      dissent/disagreement. The latter in no way implies the former.

                      Besides, when I said that I didn't understand I was inviting an
                      explanation. It would be rude to ask for a reason why someone likes
                      something, they might not even know why exactly, and it might give
                      the impressive that I am implying that there isn't one.

                      Anyway...later.