Re: Mahô Sensei Negima! Worth watching?

  • Mitchell Gilks
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "sarcastic_weasel"
      <sarcastic_weasel@...> wrote:

      > First things first-- if you're looking for a yuri series, this ain't
      > it. Yes, it has a yuri couple of sorts, but they aren't the focus of
      > the series. It's more of a harem/adventure series.
      >
      > Do you read the manga? If not, start there. If you like the manga, I
      > wouldn't bother with the anime. Neither anime series is as good as
      the
      > manga, and both are excruciating to sit through. (IMO, of course.)
      The
      > manga has been going strong for a while now, and it has improved
      > somewhat. (207 chapters and counting.) It's more action-oriented
      these
      > days, too.
      >
      > There are 2 different Negima anime series, done by two different
      > studios, both done badly. The first one was done about 2 years ago
      and
      > made a feeble attempt to follow the manga until they got bored, and
      > made up a bunch of stuff that wound up playing as bland. Not to
      > mention that they took the best arc in the manga at the time (the
      > Kyoto arc) and butchered it. (HOW can you have the anime without
      > Kotaro?!?)
      >
      > The second one by SHAFT looked a lot better, but decided to become a
      > whole different anime which in the end wasn't any better than the
      > first one. It tried to take the series from a fresh start (that is,
      > they gave up entirely on following the manga), and made something
      that
      > was mostly unfunny. It's more like a 26-ep video doujinshi, only not
      > as good.
      >
      > I think the part of the second anime that really annoyed me was the
      > general uselessness of the girls. In the manga, a lot of them
      develop
      > some interesting powers. In the second series... not so much.
      >
      > So, to sum up: worth watching? Not particularly. A rental *at best*.
      > Worth reading? If you like that sort of thing, definitely. Yuri? So
      > little you'd miss it if you blinked.
      >
      > HTH.
      > SW

      Thank you very much, that is all I needed to know. I watched the
      first episode, and decided to ask how much yuri it contained because
      it seemed really bad from my impression of the first episode. Though
      I've been known to watch bad anime if there is enough of an element
      that I like. Seems like this isn't worth it at all.

      Domo arigato gozaimasu!