RE: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: johannconradchua@...
      > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:34:13 +0800
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...
      >
      > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Carrie Robertson
      > wrote:
      >> I see. 12/12/12. Well, that'll work for the next couple of years.
      >> Then they'll have to come up with another kludge.
      >
      > Assuming the world hasn't ended yet.
      >
      > (The date is a reference to a supposed doomsday in the Mayan calendar.)

      My Mayan guide this past November in Coba assured us that it was December 23, 2012. So we ought to be able to at least get one watching in before the end. ;-)

    • byapes2001
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>
        wrote:

        > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: johannconradchua@...
        > > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:34:13 +0800
        > > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD
        website...

        > > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Carrie Robertson
        > > wrote:
        > >> I see. 12/12/12. Well, that'll work for the next couple of years.
        > >> Then they'll have to come up with another kludge.
        > >
        > > Assuming the world hasn't ended yet.
        > >
        > > (The date is a reference to a supposed doomsday in the Mayan
        calendar.)

        > My Mayan guide this past November in Coba assured us that it was
        December 23, 2012. So we ought to be able to at least get one
        watching in before the end. ;-)

        > http://www.yuricon.org

        That's assuming the mail service of your choice gets it to you on
        time. :)

        Brian Yaple
        BYapes@...
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: BYapes@...
          > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:21:13 +0000
          > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...
          >

          > That's assuming the mail service of your choice gets it to you on
          > time. :)

          So true - which is why it was worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for fast shipment. lol

          I'd rather the end of the world come whil I'm thinking about Marimite than worrying if I left the oven on. LOL

        • what is a dooky
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
            And I break my long radio-silence to join the chorus of people
            celebrating this news!

            > This is a generalization, but I've seen quite a few people who
            require less subtlety, more wackiness or action or just plain *more,*
            who don't care for Marimite. It's a classic shoujo series - nothing
            happens but a few tears, and the stories are entirely character
            driven. (preferring character to plot is an old-school girl thing.
            It's generally know than women will forgive lame plot for character,
            and guys will forgive 2-dimensional characters for plot - or action.)

            I think this is a fair observation. I love MariMite, but I have to
            concede that it's a series where nothing much happens. It's all about
            character exploration and very little else, which means that it's a
            very niche title, even within the sphere of anime (which is pretty
            niche in itself, don't forget). I was actually pretty amazed that it
            got licensed at all, given how unapologetically shoujo it is. I find
            it's a particularly good show to watch straight after some more
            standard anime fare... In the first show the fate of the universe
            might be at stake, while the second show dedicates half a story arc
            to a mislaid umbrella.

            That said, I can understand frustration towards MariMite, because to
            the casual observer it does seem to perpetuate a lot of the really
            frustrating trends in yuri-leaning anime. There's a lot of gazing and
            blushing and swooning fangirls, and yet nothing concrete happens, and
            any speculation that there might be *actual* lesbians in the cast is
            all to easily shot down by the all-encompassing "oneesama complex"
            argument (apart from Sei, of course, but Sei's always liked to buck
            trends). While I agree that we sorely need more series with bona-fide
            out lesbians who aren't Kaorin-style comic relief or Fatora-style
            sexual predators (I love both characters, but really, they're not
            helping), MariMite was never going to be one of those series.
            Catholics, the Japanese and the upper classes are three demographics
            not known for sexual openness, so you'd be mad to expect overt
            lesbianism in a show set in a Japanese Catholic school catering
            mainly to the upper classes.

            Yeah, now who's generalising?

            And again, Sei bucks this trend. Because she *can*.

            Anyway, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that MariMite does what
            it does, and does it well. But expecting anyone on that show to
            declare their love for anyone else is like expecting DBZ to do an
            episode about White Day.

            dooky

            http://amazoness.co.uk - Because men seldom make passes at girls who
            routinely kill men.
          • Mitchell Gilks
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
              > No, you are not the only one.
              >

              > This is a generalization, but I've seen quite a few people who
              require less subtlety, more wackiness or action or just plain *more,*
              who don't care for Marimite. It's a classic shoujo series - nothing
              happens but a few tears, and the stories are entirely character
              driven. (preferring character to plot is an old-school girl thing.
              It's generally know than women will forgive lame plot for character,
              and guys will forgive 2-dimensional characters for plot - or action.)

              > I can't answer for anyone else but myself, but the things I like
              about Marimite are "character, character, character" to paraphrase an
              old adage.

              > The novels are exceedingly well-written, the characters fully
              developed and intensely real, and the story is fun, romantic and
              light-hearted. They have an overt recognition and adaptation of the
              old classic tropes (and series) of shoujo and Yuri genres. Not parody
              and hyperbole of same, as in Strawberry Panic, but a genuine
              expression of understanding and a deep bow of gratitude. (Because
              Konno Oyuki really is a damn good writer.)

              > The Yuri lays *just* on the line of akogare/Yuri, which is done
              consciously to drawn in the largest possible audience - and it's done
              with skill. No ham-handed plausible deniability. It's romantic,
              period. And there's one main character who is recognizably lesbian,
              so we are not left out entirely.

              > In a nutshell, that's what *I* like about Marimite. YMMV.

              I originally didn't bother to watch it because I thought the art was
              unattractive, but everywhere I go Marimite is being praised, so I
              couldn't avoid it anymore. I happy to like character driven stories,
              and don't require action and plot for soemthing to be enjoyable. I
              just was bored by the third little relationship tale, they were all
              the same thing. Something happens causing a misunderstanding, or one
              character to feel alienated, then keep it to themselves, passively
              aggressively deal with it until they come to the conclusion that it
              was all their own fault, then find out that it was no ones fault,
              just a misunderstanding. The experience causes them to grow, and then
              expressed their feelings and many hug. Rinse, then repeat.

              I liked how real some of the characters thought, they are had
              distinct and unique personalities, intelligences, and ways of dealing
              with the exact same situations. Though I just couldn't find myself
              endeared to any of them. It wasn't that I didn't like them. I found
              the main character Yumi to be a tad annoying, I didn't like her hair,
              and she looked like she was twelve.

              The only part that even began to make me sad was when Sachiko's
              obaasama reunites with her soeur before dying. Though a scene of
              flowers blooming around Yumi and Sachiko hugging, which gave me dirty
              thoughts cheering me up (what am I five? I know).

              In all, I liked Sie Sato, it should have been about it.

              Likely the problem is that I am a weird loner who doesn't understand
              such dynamics. They seem petty and unimportant to me. So I get don't
              understand how they get so emotional over them. Yeah, it's probably
              just me.
            • Albert Lunde
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                (I just put in an order. Links from the main page weren't working
                for some reason, but links from http://maria-sama.rightstuf.com/
                worked fine.)

                Another feature of the anime that has put off some people is it
                dumps you in the middle of the situation with the Yamayurikai
                in the Rose Mansion with little introduction, and one has to
                sort them out quickly. I printed out a list of characters
                before I began watching, having been briefed by this list
                among others. This might be an indication the first target
                audience is the fans of the novels. The manga seemed a little
                less confusing at the start than the anime.

                Another reason I like the series, beyond those already cited,
                is the music. I have enjoyed listening to the audio tracks
                of the anime, when I've had time.

                Several series I like have this sort of slice-of-life
                quality, where "nothing" seems to happen, and it's all about
                the characters and the setting. I'm working my way slowly
                through Aria right now (though the rest of my life is
                taking most of my time). Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
                would be another example. Further from Yuri subtexts
                I might add Fruits Basket, and To Heart TV.

                It's not that I dislike other kinds of stories/settings, but I
                I've got a higher tolerance for quiet, understated stories.

                --
                Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Albert Lunde <atlunde@...> wrote:

                  > (I just put in an order. Links from the main page weren't working
                  > for some reason, but links from http://maria-sama.rightstuf.com/
                  > worked fine.)
                  >
                  > Another feature of the anime that has put off some people is it
                  > dumps you in the middle of the situation with the Yamayurikai
                  > in the Rose Mansion with little introduction, and one has to
                  > sort them out quickly. I printed out a list of characters
                  > before I began watching, having been briefed by this list
                  > among others. This might be an indication the first target
                  > audience is the fans of the novels. The manga seemed a little
                  > less confusing at the start than the anime.
                  >
                  > Another reason I like the series, beyond those already cited,
                  > is the music. I have enjoyed listening to the audio tracks
                  > of the anime, when I've had time.
                  >
                  > Several series I like have this sort of slice-of-life
                  > quality, where "nothing" seems to happen, and it's all about
                  > the characters and the setting. I'm working my way slowly
                  > through Aria right now (though the rest of my life is
                  > taking most of my time). Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
                  > would be another example. Further from Yuri subtexts
                  > I might add Fruits Basket, and To Heart TV.
                  >
                  > It's not that I dislike other kinds of stories/settings, but I
                  > I've got a higher tolerance for quiet, understated stories.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                  > atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                  > albert-lunde@... (old address)

                  I read the wikipedia page on it (as I do with everything I watch)
                  before watching it. So I knew who the characters were. I wasn't
                  confused. Maybe I shouldn't have, trying to figure it out could have
                  kept my attention perhaps.

                  I guess I just like stuff to happen, or problems to actually be a
                  problem. I think the art really put me off of it though. It was just
                  ugly. The scenary was nice, but the characters were freaky looking. I
                  only bothered to watch one OVA, which was somewhat better than the
                  series, as at least there was an actual problem, but they somehow
                  were able to make the art worse. The animation was noticably better,
                  but the art took a turn for the worse.

                  All the series seems to have good for it is realistic unique
                  characters. Though they were uninteresting characters in my opinion.

                  Then again, like I said before. My problem is probably that Marimite
                  requires that you are able to grasp "slice of live," mundane,
                  interrelationship dynamics between a normal group of friends. While
                  that is something that plain excapes me.

                  I understand problems that matter, but most things people act like
                  are problems appeal trivial and unimportant to me. I just can't grasp
                  what the problem is.

                  I do like relationship driven stories, I have written a few (poor
                  ones) myself. I just think there should be real problems before it
                  can be interesting. A problem that won't really have any longterm
                  effect or significance, or could be easily solved by an honest
                  confrontation isn't a problem at all in my opinion. In such a
                  situation I see the individual as the problem.