RE: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: gilksm@...
      > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:06:02 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...
      >>

      > Am I the only one in the world that didn't like Marimite? It seems to
      > be everyone's favorite yuri series...and I can't comprehend why.

      No, you are not the only one.

      This is a generalization, but I've seen quite a few people who require less subtlety, more wackiness or action or just plain *more,* who don't care for Marimite. It's a classic shoujo series - nothing happens but a few tears, and the stories are entirely character driven. (preferring character to plot is an old-school girl thing. It's generally know than women will forgive lame plot for character, and guys will forgive 2-dimensional characters for plot - or action.)

      I can't answer for anyone else but myself, but the things I like about Marimite are "character, character, character" to paraphrase an old adage.

      The novels are exceedingly well-written, the characters fully developed and intensely real, and the story is fun, romantic and light-hearted. They have an overt recognition and adaptation of the old classic tropes (and series) of shoujo and Yuri genres. Not parody and hyperbole of same, as in Strawberry Panic, but a genuine expression of understanding and a deep bow of gratitude. (Because Konno Oyuki really is a damn good writer.)

      The Yuri lays *just* on the line of akogare/Yuri, which is done consciously to drawn in the largest possible audience - and it's done with skill. No ham-handed plausible deniability. It's romantic, period. And there's one main character who is recognizably lesbian, so we are not left out entirely.

      In a nutshell, that's what *I* like about Marimite. YMMV.

      http://biggestloser.msn.com/
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: johannconradchua@...
        > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:34:13 +0800
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...
        >
        > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Carrie Robertson
        > wrote:
        >> I see. 12/12/12. Well, that'll work for the next couple of years.
        >> Then they'll have to come up with another kludge.
        >
        > Assuming the world hasn't ended yet.
        >
        > (The date is a reference to a supposed doomsday in the Mayan calendar.)

        My Mayan guide this past November in Coba assured us that it was December 23, 2012. So we ought to be able to at least get one watching in before the end. ;-)

      • byapes2001
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...>
          wrote:

          > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: johannconradchua@...
          > > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 22:34:13 +0800
          > > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD
          website...

          > > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27 PM, Carrie Robertson
          > > wrote:
          > >> I see. 12/12/12. Well, that'll work for the next couple of years.
          > >> Then they'll have to come up with another kludge.
          > >
          > > Assuming the world hasn't ended yet.
          > >
          > > (The date is a reference to a supposed doomsday in the Mayan
          calendar.)

          > My Mayan guide this past November in Coba assured us that it was
          December 23, 2012. So we ought to be able to at least get one
          watching in before the end. ;-)

          > http://www.yuricon.org

          That's assuming the mail service of your choice gets it to you on
          time. :)

          Brian Yaple
          BYapes@...
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
            To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > From: BYapes@...
            > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:21:13 +0000
            > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Just linked off the AnimeonDVD website...
            >

            > That's assuming the mail service of your choice gets it to you on
            > time. :)

            So true - which is why it was worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for fast shipment. lol

            I'd rather the end of the world come whil I'm thinking about Marimite than worrying if I left the oven on. LOL

          • what is a dooky
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
              And I break my long radio-silence to join the chorus of people
              celebrating this news!

              > This is a generalization, but I've seen quite a few people who
              require less subtlety, more wackiness or action or just plain *more,*
              who don't care for Marimite. It's a classic shoujo series - nothing
              happens but a few tears, and the stories are entirely character
              driven. (preferring character to plot is an old-school girl thing.
              It's generally know than women will forgive lame plot for character,
              and guys will forgive 2-dimensional characters for plot - or action.)

              I think this is a fair observation. I love MariMite, but I have to
              concede that it's a series where nothing much happens. It's all about
              character exploration and very little else, which means that it's a
              very niche title, even within the sphere of anime (which is pretty
              niche in itself, don't forget). I was actually pretty amazed that it
              got licensed at all, given how unapologetically shoujo it is. I find
              it's a particularly good show to watch straight after some more
              standard anime fare... In the first show the fate of the universe
              might be at stake, while the second show dedicates half a story arc
              to a mislaid umbrella.

              That said, I can understand frustration towards MariMite, because to
              the casual observer it does seem to perpetuate a lot of the really
              frustrating trends in yuri-leaning anime. There's a lot of gazing and
              blushing and swooning fangirls, and yet nothing concrete happens, and
              any speculation that there might be *actual* lesbians in the cast is
              all to easily shot down by the all-encompassing "oneesama complex"
              argument (apart from Sei, of course, but Sei's always liked to buck
              trends). While I agree that we sorely need more series with bona-fide
              out lesbians who aren't Kaorin-style comic relief or Fatora-style
              sexual predators (I love both characters, but really, they're not
              helping), MariMite was never going to be one of those series.
              Catholics, the Japanese and the upper classes are three demographics
              not known for sexual openness, so you'd be mad to expect overt
              lesbianism in a show set in a Japanese Catholic school catering
              mainly to the upper classes.

              Yeah, now who's generalising?

              And again, Sei bucks this trend. Because she *can*.

              Anyway, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that MariMite does what
              it does, and does it well. But expecting anyone on that show to
              declare their love for anyone else is like expecting DBZ to do an
              episode about White Day.

              dooky

              http://amazoness.co.uk - Because men seldom make passes at girls who
              routinely kill men.
            • Mitchell Gilks
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 7, 2008
                > No, you are not the only one.
                >

                > This is a generalization, but I've seen quite a few people who
                require less subtlety, more wackiness or action or just plain *more,*
                who don't care for Marimite. It's a classic shoujo series - nothing
                happens but a few tears, and the stories are entirely character
                driven. (preferring character to plot is an old-school girl thing.
                It's generally know than women will forgive lame plot for character,
                and guys will forgive 2-dimensional characters for plot - or action.)

                > I can't answer for anyone else but myself, but the things I like
                about Marimite are "character, character, character" to paraphrase an
                old adage.

                > The novels are exceedingly well-written, the characters fully
                developed and intensely real, and the story is fun, romantic and
                light-hearted. They have an overt recognition and adaptation of the
                old classic tropes (and series) of shoujo and Yuri genres. Not parody
                and hyperbole of same, as in Strawberry Panic, but a genuine
                expression of understanding and a deep bow of gratitude. (Because
                Konno Oyuki really is a damn good writer.)

                > The Yuri lays *just* on the line of akogare/Yuri, which is done
                consciously to drawn in the largest possible audience - and it's done
                with skill. No ham-handed plausible deniability. It's romantic,
                period. And there's one main character who is recognizably lesbian,
                so we are not left out entirely.

                > In a nutshell, that's what *I* like about Marimite. YMMV.

                I originally didn't bother to watch it because I thought the art was
                unattractive, but everywhere I go Marimite is being praised, so I
                couldn't avoid it anymore. I happy to like character driven stories,
                and don't require action and plot for soemthing to be enjoyable. I
                just was bored by the third little relationship tale, they were all
                the same thing. Something happens causing a misunderstanding, or one
                character to feel alienated, then keep it to themselves, passively
                aggressively deal with it until they come to the conclusion that it
                was all their own fault, then find out that it was no ones fault,
                just a misunderstanding. The experience causes them to grow, and then
                expressed their feelings and many hug. Rinse, then repeat.

                I liked how real some of the characters thought, they are had
                distinct and unique personalities, intelligences, and ways of dealing
                with the exact same situations. Though I just couldn't find myself
                endeared to any of them. It wasn't that I didn't like them. I found
                the main character Yumi to be a tad annoying, I didn't like her hair,
                and she looked like she was twelve.

                The only part that even began to make me sad was when Sachiko's
                obaasama reunites with her soeur before dying. Though a scene of
                flowers blooming around Yumi and Sachiko hugging, which gave me dirty
                thoughts cheering me up (what am I five? I know).

                In all, I liked Sie Sato, it should have been about it.

                Likely the problem is that I am a weird loner who doesn't understand
                such dynamics. They seem petty and unimportant to me. So I get don't
                understand how they get so emotional over them. Yeah, it's probably
                just me.
              • Albert Lunde
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                  (I just put in an order. Links from the main page weren't working
                  for some reason, but links from http://maria-sama.rightstuf.com/
                  worked fine.)

                  Another feature of the anime that has put off some people is it
                  dumps you in the middle of the situation with the Yamayurikai
                  in the Rose Mansion with little introduction, and one has to
                  sort them out quickly. I printed out a list of characters
                  before I began watching, having been briefed by this list
                  among others. This might be an indication the first target
                  audience is the fans of the novels. The manga seemed a little
                  less confusing at the start than the anime.

                  Another reason I like the series, beyond those already cited,
                  is the music. I have enjoyed listening to the audio tracks
                  of the anime, when I've had time.

                  Several series I like have this sort of slice-of-life
                  quality, where "nothing" seems to happen, and it's all about
                  the characters and the setting. I'm working my way slowly
                  through Aria right now (though the rest of my life is
                  taking most of my time). Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
                  would be another example. Further from Yuri subtexts
                  I might add Fruits Basket, and To Heart TV.

                  It's not that I dislike other kinds of stories/settings, but I
                  I've got a higher tolerance for quiet, understated stories.

                  --
                  Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                  atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 8, 2008
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Albert Lunde <atlunde@...> wrote:

                    > (I just put in an order. Links from the main page weren't working
                    > for some reason, but links from http://maria-sama.rightstuf.com/
                    > worked fine.)
                    >
                    > Another feature of the anime that has put off some people is it
                    > dumps you in the middle of the situation with the Yamayurikai
                    > in the Rose Mansion with little introduction, and one has to
                    > sort them out quickly. I printed out a list of characters
                    > before I began watching, having been briefed by this list
                    > among others. This might be an indication the first target
                    > audience is the fans of the novels. The manga seemed a little
                    > less confusing at the start than the anime.
                    >
                    > Another reason I like the series, beyond those already cited,
                    > is the music. I have enjoyed listening to the audio tracks
                    > of the anime, when I've had time.
                    >
                    > Several series I like have this sort of slice-of-life
                    > quality, where "nothing" seems to happen, and it's all about
                    > the characters and the setting. I'm working my way slowly
                    > through Aria right now (though the rest of my life is
                    > taking most of my time). Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
                    > would be another example. Further from Yuri subtexts
                    > I might add Fruits Basket, and To Heart TV.
                    >
                    > It's not that I dislike other kinds of stories/settings, but I
                    > I've got a higher tolerance for quiet, understated stories.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
                    > atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)
                    > albert-lunde@... (old address)

                    I read the wikipedia page on it (as I do with everything I watch)
                    before watching it. So I knew who the characters were. I wasn't
                    confused. Maybe I shouldn't have, trying to figure it out could have
                    kept my attention perhaps.

                    I guess I just like stuff to happen, or problems to actually be a
                    problem. I think the art really put me off of it though. It was just
                    ugly. The scenary was nice, but the characters were freaky looking. I
                    only bothered to watch one OVA, which was somewhat better than the
                    series, as at least there was an actual problem, but they somehow
                    were able to make the art worse. The animation was noticably better,
                    but the art took a turn for the worse.

                    All the series seems to have good for it is realistic unique
                    characters. Though they were uninteresting characters in my opinion.

                    Then again, like I said before. My problem is probably that Marimite
                    requires that you are able to grasp "slice of live," mundane,
                    interrelationship dynamics between a normal group of friends. While
                    that is something that plain excapes me.

                    I understand problems that matter, but most things people act like
                    are problems appeal trivial and unimportant to me. I just can't grasp
                    what the problem is.

                    I do like relationship driven stories, I have written a few (poor
                    ones) myself. I just think there should be real problems before it
                    can be interesting. A problem that won't really have any longterm
                    effect or significance, or could be easily solved by an honest
                    confrontation isn't a problem at all in my opinion. In such a
                    situation I see the individual as the problem.