Re: Mnemosyne 2

  • crimsonlotus20
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
      Excellent news and I fully agree with you on the character design.
      Hopefully, some altruistic soul will upload a subtitled version
      somewhere soon...

      Regards,
      MdG

      > Let me cut to the chase:
      >
      > Yes, Yuri.
      >
      > Mimi and Rin definitely seem to have a comfortable sex friend
      > relationship, and Rin doesn't seem to mind paying a sexy informant
      her
      > price in flesh. To be fair, Rin has no problem with men, either. We
      > don't know about Mimi, but she certainly doesn't throw herself at
      > Kouki when the opportunity arises.
      >
      > Also, more violence than ever before. Squeamish people probably
      ought
      > to avoid.
      >
      > I heartily approve. Grownup anime at last - maybe the tide is
      turning
      > back to women who don't look 6?
      >
      > A more detailed, coherent review to come on Okazu. :-)

      > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      > http://okazu.blogspot.com

    • gilksm
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...>
        wrote:

        > Excellent news and I fully agree with you on the character design.
        > Hopefully, some altruistic soul will upload a subtitled version
        > somewhere soon...

        Yes indeed, I really need to get on learning Japanese for real. It
        really handicaps my ability to enjoy such great works. I am still
        waiting for Hellsing OVA IV to get subbed.

        Since I have spent at least an hour a day listening to Japanese for
        the past 10 years or more, I would think that I would pick it up
        quickly in a class. I think I know all real basics, some numbers and
        colours as well.

        Also, I am just missing out on half of the voice acting, knowing what
        they are saying when they say it is far better then reading it. I
        already appreciate the amazingly fantastic talent in Japanese voice
        actings, definitely unrivaled. I need to enjoy it in it's entirety.
      • Mitchell Gilks
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008

          > Let me cut to the chase:
          >
          > Yes, Yuri.
          >
          > Mimi and Rin definitely seem to have a comfortable sex friend
          > relationship, and Rin doesn't seem to mind paying a sexy informant
          her
          > price in flesh. To be fair, Rin has no problem with men, either. We
          > don't know about Mimi, but she certainly doesn't throw herself at
          > Kouki when the opportunity arises.
          >
          > Also, more violence than ever before. Squeamish people probably
          ought
          > to avoid.
          >
          > I heartily approve. Grownup anime at last - maybe the tide is
          turning
          > back to women who don't look 6?
          >
          > A more detailed, coherent review to come on Okazu. :-)

          > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
          > http://okazu.blogspot.com

          I thought I was return to this now that I was able to watch it. This
          was a far better episode than the last one. Got to see some nice
          playful yuri between Mimi and Rin, showing that last episode Mimi was
          merely didn't want to do anything with people around. The informant
          thing was funny I thought, though Rin didn't seem to enjoy herself. I
          thought Mimi's implied jealousy was worth it though.

          I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with men,
          while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched were
          inaccurate, or you missed it, but Rin said that immortals like her
          (including Mimi) are uncontrolable attracted to the angels, against
          their wills. She seemed to be fighting it pretty hard in my opinion.
          They both seemed extremely frightened of the angels.

          Unless you were refering to something else.
        • crimsonlotus20
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
            Finally got round to seeing Part II and found it excellent. An
            accomplished, fascinating and atmospheric noir with nice and
            surprisingly effective plot references to international relations,
            Tokyo's underground and the general mood of uneasiness at the time. My
            only gripe is the usual one: too many recurring motifs being done over
            and over again, ad nauseam: how many permutations of 'Angels' can we
            expect to see?

            Apos' S&M thing is, disturbingly, quite Catholic. There is a sort of
            sublimation of agony, or the undying crystallisation of agony, which
            is very reminiscent of the iconography of St Sebastian. Being skewered
            by chains for eternity has something quite Dantesque about it.

            Yes, definitely a Yuri series which is out and bluntly sensual. Mature
            themes being dealt with maturely. Adult (Mimi is perhaps the only
            concession to moe) characters and pleasantly hardboiled storylines and
            hopefully, a page is turning in the genre. We need more Mnemosyne.

            Regards,
            MdG

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > From: crimsonlotus@...
              > Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:34:14 +0000
              > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Mnemosyne 2
              >

              > Yes, definitely a Yuri series which is out and bluntly sensual. Mature
              > themes being dealt with maturely. Adult (Mimi is perhaps the only
              > concession to moe) characters and pleasantly hardboiled storylines and
              > hopefully, a page is turning in the genre. We need more Mnemosyne.

              Between Mnemosyne in anime and Gunjou in manga, I find myself practically awash in grown-up, non-moe Yuri. How happy am I? Very.

              I plan a more detailed review of Gunjou on Okazu, but it is very like a Thelma and Louise in which the characterts aren't really all that sympathetic...indeed are basically broken and at least one is psychopathically violent. Since she is actually identifies as a lesbian, I'm swooning with joy. Too bad she has no name. Guess she goes on "The List" as "The blonde EPL."

              http://biggestloser.msn.com/
            • mara_papimer
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
                Agreement with things said before. Laura's better too with the
                claymore in the face strategy. Now if only they would let Rin stay
                'cool' while she recuperated. At least the trail of blood looked good
                (reminded me of 'Desperado').

                How many more pairs of glasses will Rin get though?

                Is it just me or does Apos remind anyone else of the Fate/Stay Night
                incarnation of Gilgamesh? With his blond hair and interest with
                skewering people with swords. (that's not a bad thing, Apos looks to
                be a good antagonist.)

                The only bad thing about Apos's is that his appearance will probably
                mean more violence with sexual connotations (piercing sequence, angel
                sequence) then 'stylish' interesting violence (Rin VS Laura, more the
                second episode than the first).

                Oh, and does anyone know when the OST might be out?

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                  men,

                  Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                  card with them as with women.

                  > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                  were
                  > inaccurate, or you missed it,

                  Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some stuff. :-
                  )

                  It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                  sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)

                  To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                  nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                  relaxed, if you will. lol

                • crimsonlotus20
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008
                    To be fair, thus far, I have deduced the following re: Rin based on
                    the first two episodes of Mnemosyne: first, she uses her evident sex
                    appeal to manipulate men, but is never portrayed engaging in a
                    voluntary sex act with one - the only time she is actually shown
                    without a shadow of doubt involved sexually with a man is with the
                    'angel' and that is established to be an uncontrollable urge; second,
                    she is shown primarily interacting sexually with other women, wherein
                    one instance is with Mimi, where the affection is reciprocal and
                    another is with the informant, where she is portrayed as a little less
                    enthusiastic. Based on the evidence, the notion of having a problem
                    with men or otherwise is irrelevant. The only sexual contact she seems
                    to genuinely enjoy is with Mimi, so, quite realistically, rather than
                    being a matter of sexual identity (which is socially constructed in
                    the first place) we can conclude that Rin, to an extent, equates
                    personal affection with sexual satisfaction to the extent that Mimi is
                    quite comfortably a lover/friend - effectively, a step up from the
                    incidental skinship that so often passes as yuri. In the end, her
                    sexual identity need not, and should not, be defined in black-white
                    pigeonholed terms. Quite simply, sex is a tool, unless it's with Mimi,
                    at which point it is an expression of affection. No need to stick a
                    big glowing label on it.

                    Just a few untidy thoughts,

                    MdG

                    > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                    > men,
                    >
                    > Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                    > card with them as with women.
                    >
                    > > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                    > were
                    > > inaccurate, or you missed it,
                    >
                    > Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some stuff. :-
                    > )
                    >
                    > It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                    > sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)
                    >
                    > To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                    > nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                    > relaxed, if you will. lol

                    > http://www.yuricon.org

                  • Mitchell Gilks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008

                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                      > men,
                      >
                      > Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                      > card with them as with women.
                      >
                      > > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                      > were
                      > > inaccurate, or you missed it,
                      >
                      > Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some
                      stuff. :-
                      > )
                      >
                      > It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                      > sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)
                      >
                      > To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                      > nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                      > relaxed, if you will. lol

                      > http://www.yuricon.org

                      I think you misunderstood. You said that you thought that Rin had no
                      problem with men, but weren't sure of Mimi. I was commenting on that.
                      If you consider her encounter with the angel to be the basis for
                      that, Mimi would have likely put up less of a fight, as she appears
                      to be weaker willed, and seemed far more afraid. So I don't see how
                      you could have got it from that.

                      I don't see why that would give me a black and white view of
                      sexuality. My objection was not that you were wrong, it was merely
                      asking how you came to that conclusion, and objecting to the angel
                      encounter as a basis for Rin, if it doesn't count for Mimi.

                      The only willful, and intiated amount of sexual behaviour displayed
                      by Rin to my knowledge was in the first episode toward Mimi. I am
                      tentative in my assumptions, and don't think that there is yet enough
                      to go on to draw a conclusion about either Rin or Mimi. Though I have
                      not seen her even imply interest in men as of yet, while clearly
                      explicating it the other way. I also base my sway toward thinking
                      this by Mimi's lack of reaction, to the guy she picked up, and even
                      hiring him, yet clearly showing dislike and jealousy of the
                      informant.

                      Lastly, I see nothing other than the single occurence with the
                      informant (not that there is a lot to go on in two episodes, given)
                      to suggest that Rin views sex as a untility. Though, supposing she
                      did, that would not change where her personal sexual interests lie.
                      If she was willing to have sex with a man for information, that does
                      not imply that she is sexually attracted to men.

                      In short, I don't think I'm over simplifying...if anything I am over
                      analyzing. Which should be avoided, because often the writers put
                      less thought into it than the viewer/reader.
                    • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                        "Pam was just an ordinary 13 year old schoolgirl until the day she and her friends tried to summon a devil. Now all of a sudden she finds herself in a universe where devils and angels exist and she herself has been transformed into a probationary devil intern. Her only hope of getting home is to become a fully fledged devil."

                        Pam meets an angel named Linfa who looks like her friend Rinka from the human world. The two end up falling in love.

                        It's a five volume manga series. I bought volume one without knowing there would be any yuri later on and thought it was pretty good.

                      • endlessdreamer13
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                          "Meet Pam Akumachi, an energetic 13-year-old junior high student who
                          has just turned into ...a little devil! One day, when Pam and her
                          friends try to summon the "benign devil," the magic circle goes out of
                          control and Pam is transported to a strange pararell world where angels
                          and devils reside in an uneasy coexistence."

                          It's pretty much devil in training and angel fall in love. All five
                          volumes are out in the US.

                          *I keep trying to send this out but it doesn't seem to be working. If
                          multiple versions of this appear, that's why.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7, 2008
                            > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: endlessdreamer13@...
                            > Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:53:26 +0000
                            > Subject: [Yuricon] Stray Little Devil
                            >

                            > *I keep trying to send this out but it doesn't seem to be working. If
                            > multiple versions of this appear, that's why.

                            We got it! :-)

                            hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008
                          • Jessie
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 25, 2008
                              Thanks for the recomendation! i bought it after hearing it from you
                              and i absolutely love it! i only wish it was longer! lol

                              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andi, Andi Spring, Spring"

                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/EndlessD/Big_SPOILER_THE_END.jpg

                              Search.