Mnemosyne 2

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
      Let me cut to the chase:

      Yes, Yuri.

      Mimi and Rin definitely seem to have a comfortable sex friend
      relationship, and Rin doesn't seem to mind paying a sexy informant her
      price in flesh. To be fair, Rin has no problem with men, either. We
      don't know about Mimi, but she certainly doesn't throw herself at
      Kouki when the opportunity arises.

      Also, more violence than ever before. Squeamish people probably ought
      to avoid.

      I heartily approve. Grownup anime at last - maybe the tide is turning
      back to women who don't look 6?

      A more detailed, coherent review to come on Okazu. :-)

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • crimsonlotus20
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
        Excellent news and I fully agree with you on the character design.
        Hopefully, some altruistic soul will upload a subtitled version
        somewhere soon...

        Regards,
        MdG

        > Let me cut to the chase:
        >
        > Yes, Yuri.
        >
        > Mimi and Rin definitely seem to have a comfortable sex friend
        > relationship, and Rin doesn't seem to mind paying a sexy informant
        her
        > price in flesh. To be fair, Rin has no problem with men, either. We
        > don't know about Mimi, but she certainly doesn't throw herself at
        > Kouki when the opportunity arises.
        >
        > Also, more violence than ever before. Squeamish people probably
        ought
        > to avoid.
        >
        > I heartily approve. Grownup anime at last - maybe the tide is
        turning
        > back to women who don't look 6?
        >
        > A more detailed, coherent review to come on Okazu. :-)

        > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
        > http://okazu.blogspot.com

      • gilksm
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...>
          wrote:

          > Excellent news and I fully agree with you on the character design.
          > Hopefully, some altruistic soul will upload a subtitled version
          > somewhere soon...

          Yes indeed, I really need to get on learning Japanese for real. It
          really handicaps my ability to enjoy such great works. I am still
          waiting for Hellsing OVA IV to get subbed.

          Since I have spent at least an hour a day listening to Japanese for
          the past 10 years or more, I would think that I would pick it up
          quickly in a class. I think I know all real basics, some numbers and
          colours as well.

          Also, I am just missing out on half of the voice acting, knowing what
          they are saying when they say it is far better then reading it. I
          already appreciate the amazingly fantastic talent in Japanese voice
          actings, definitely unrivaled. I need to enjoy it in it's entirety.
        • Mitchell Gilks
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008

            > Let me cut to the chase:
            >
            > Yes, Yuri.
            >
            > Mimi and Rin definitely seem to have a comfortable sex friend
            > relationship, and Rin doesn't seem to mind paying a sexy informant
            her
            > price in flesh. To be fair, Rin has no problem with men, either. We
            > don't know about Mimi, but she certainly doesn't throw herself at
            > Kouki when the opportunity arises.
            >
            > Also, more violence than ever before. Squeamish people probably
            ought
            > to avoid.
            >
            > I heartily approve. Grownup anime at last - maybe the tide is
            turning
            > back to women who don't look 6?
            >
            > A more detailed, coherent review to come on Okazu. :-)

            > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
            > http://okazu.blogspot.com

            I thought I was return to this now that I was able to watch it. This
            was a far better episode than the last one. Got to see some nice
            playful yuri between Mimi and Rin, showing that last episode Mimi was
            merely didn't want to do anything with people around. The informant
            thing was funny I thought, though Rin didn't seem to enjoy herself. I
            thought Mimi's implied jealousy was worth it though.

            I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with men,
            while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched were
            inaccurate, or you missed it, but Rin said that immortals like her
            (including Mimi) are uncontrolable attracted to the angels, against
            their wills. She seemed to be fighting it pretty hard in my opinion.
            They both seemed extremely frightened of the angels.

            Unless you were refering to something else.
          • crimsonlotus20
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
              Finally got round to seeing Part II and found it excellent. An
              accomplished, fascinating and atmospheric noir with nice and
              surprisingly effective plot references to international relations,
              Tokyo's underground and the general mood of uneasiness at the time. My
              only gripe is the usual one: too many recurring motifs being done over
              and over again, ad nauseam: how many permutations of 'Angels' can we
              expect to see?

              Apos' S&M thing is, disturbingly, quite Catholic. There is a sort of
              sublimation of agony, or the undying crystallisation of agony, which
              is very reminiscent of the iconography of St Sebastian. Being skewered
              by chains for eternity has something quite Dantesque about it.

              Yes, definitely a Yuri series which is out and bluntly sensual. Mature
              themes being dealt with maturely. Adult (Mimi is perhaps the only
              concession to moe) characters and pleasantly hardboiled storylines and
              hopefully, a page is turning in the genre. We need more Mnemosyne.

              Regards,
              MdG

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > From: crimsonlotus@...
                > Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:34:14 +0000
                > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Mnemosyne 2
                >

                > Yes, definitely a Yuri series which is out and bluntly sensual. Mature
                > themes being dealt with maturely. Adult (Mimi is perhaps the only
                > concession to moe) characters and pleasantly hardboiled storylines and
                > hopefully, a page is turning in the genre. We need more Mnemosyne.

                Between Mnemosyne in anime and Gunjou in manga, I find myself practically awash in grown-up, non-moe Yuri. How happy am I? Very.

                I plan a more detailed review of Gunjou on Okazu, but it is very like a Thelma and Louise in which the characterts aren't really all that sympathetic...indeed are basically broken and at least one is psychopathically violent. Since she is actually identifies as a lesbian, I'm swooning with joy. Too bad she has no name. Guess she goes on "The List" as "The blonde EPL."

                http://biggestloser.msn.com/
              • mara_papimer
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Agreement with things said before. Laura's better too with the
                  claymore in the face strategy. Now if only they would let Rin stay
                  'cool' while she recuperated. At least the trail of blood looked good
                  (reminded me of 'Desperado').

                  How many more pairs of glasses will Rin get though?

                  Is it just me or does Apos remind anyone else of the Fate/Stay Night
                  incarnation of Gilgamesh? With his blond hair and interest with
                  skewering people with swords. (that's not a bad thing, Apos looks to
                  be a good antagonist.)

                  The only bad thing about Apos's is that his appearance will probably
                  mean more violence with sexual connotations (piercing sequence, angel
                  sequence) then 'stylish' interesting violence (Rin VS Laura, more the
                  second episode than the first).

                  Oh, and does anyone know when the OST might be out?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@...> wrote:

                    > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                    men,

                    Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                    card with them as with women.

                    > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                    were
                    > inaccurate, or you missed it,

                    Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some stuff. :-
                    )

                    It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                    sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)

                    To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                    nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                    relaxed, if you will. lol

                  • crimsonlotus20
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008
                      To be fair, thus far, I have deduced the following re: Rin based on
                      the first two episodes of Mnemosyne: first, she uses her evident sex
                      appeal to manipulate men, but is never portrayed engaging in a
                      voluntary sex act with one - the only time she is actually shown
                      without a shadow of doubt involved sexually with a man is with the
                      'angel' and that is established to be an uncontrollable urge; second,
                      she is shown primarily interacting sexually with other women, wherein
                      one instance is with Mimi, where the affection is reciprocal and
                      another is with the informant, where she is portrayed as a little less
                      enthusiastic. Based on the evidence, the notion of having a problem
                      with men or otherwise is irrelevant. The only sexual contact she seems
                      to genuinely enjoy is with Mimi, so, quite realistically, rather than
                      being a matter of sexual identity (which is socially constructed in
                      the first place) we can conclude that Rin, to an extent, equates
                      personal affection with sexual satisfaction to the extent that Mimi is
                      quite comfortably a lover/friend - effectively, a step up from the
                      incidental skinship that so often passes as yuri. In the end, her
                      sexual identity need not, and should not, be defined in black-white
                      pigeonholed terms. Quite simply, sex is a tool, unless it's with Mimi,
                      at which point it is an expression of affection. No need to stick a
                      big glowing label on it.

                      Just a few untidy thoughts,

                      MdG

                      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                      > men,
                      >
                      > Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                      > card with them as with women.
                      >
                      > > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                      > were
                      > > inaccurate, or you missed it,
                      >
                      > Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some stuff. :-
                      > )
                      >
                      > It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                      > sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)
                      >
                      > To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                      > nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                      > relaxed, if you will. lol

                      > http://www.yuricon.org

                    • Mitchell Gilks
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2008

                        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Mitchell Gilks" <gilksm@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I don't know where you got the idea that Rin has no problem with
                        > men,
                        >
                        > Because it seemed obvious to me. She's as willing to play the sex
                        > card with them as with women.
                        >
                        > > while being unsure of Mimi. I don't know if the subs I watched
                        > were
                        > > inaccurate, or you missed it,
                        >
                        > Or the third choice - I was watching it raw and missed some
                        stuff. :-
                        > )
                        >
                        > It definitely seems like you have a very black and white idea of
                        > sexuality, while I have a more fluid one. :-)
                        >
                        > To me Rin seems to generally regard sex as a tool, and the full
                        > nature of her relationship with Mimi is unknown, but appears to be
                        > relaxed, if you will. lol

                        > http://www.yuricon.org

                        I think you misunderstood. You said that you thought that Rin had no
                        problem with men, but weren't sure of Mimi. I was commenting on that.
                        If you consider her encounter with the angel to be the basis for
                        that, Mimi would have likely put up less of a fight, as she appears
                        to be weaker willed, and seemed far more afraid. So I don't see how
                        you could have got it from that.

                        I don't see why that would give me a black and white view of
                        sexuality. My objection was not that you were wrong, it was merely
                        asking how you came to that conclusion, and objecting to the angel
                        encounter as a basis for Rin, if it doesn't count for Mimi.

                        The only willful, and intiated amount of sexual behaviour displayed
                        by Rin to my knowledge was in the first episode toward Mimi. I am
                        tentative in my assumptions, and don't think that there is yet enough
                        to go on to draw a conclusion about either Rin or Mimi. Though I have
                        not seen her even imply interest in men as of yet, while clearly
                        explicating it the other way. I also base my sway toward thinking
                        this by Mimi's lack of reaction, to the guy she picked up, and even
                        hiring him, yet clearly showing dislike and jealousy of the
                        informant.

                        Lastly, I see nothing other than the single occurence with the
                        informant (not that there is a lot to go on in two episodes, given)
                        to suggest that Rin views sex as a untility. Though, supposing she
                        did, that would not change where her personal sexual interests lie.
                        If she was willing to have sex with a man for information, that does
                        not imply that she is sexually attracted to men.

                        In short, I don't think I'm over simplifying...if anything I am over
                        analyzing. Which should be avoided, because often the writers put
                        less thought into it than the viewer/reader.
                      • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 11, 2008
                          "Pam was just an ordinary 13 year old schoolgirl until the day she and her friends tried to summon a devil. Now all of a sudden she finds herself in a universe where devils and angels exist and she herself has been transformed into a probationary devil intern. Her only hope of getting home is to become a fully fledged devil."

                          Pam meets an angel named Linfa who looks like her friend Rinka from the human world. The two end up falling in love.

                          It's a five volume manga series. I bought volume one without knowing there would be any yuri later on and thought it was pretty good.

                        • endlessdreamer13
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7 2:53 PM
                            "Meet Pam Akumachi, an energetic 13-year-old junior high student who
                            has just turned into ...a little devil! One day, when Pam and her
                            friends try to summon the "benign devil," the magic circle goes out of
                            control and Pam is transported to a strange pararell world where angels
                            and devils reside in an uneasy coexistence."

                            It's pretty much devil in training and angel fall in love. All five
                            volumes are out in the US.

                            *I keep trying to send this out but it doesn't seem to be working. If
                            multiple versions of this appear, that's why.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 7 5:38 PM
                              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: endlessdreamer13@...
                              > Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 21:53:26 +0000
                              > Subject: [Yuricon] Stray Little Devil
                              >

                              > *I keep trying to send this out but it doesn't seem to be working. If
                              > multiple versions of this appear, that's why.

                              We got it! :-)

                              hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008
                            • Jessie
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 25 6:44 PM
                                Thanks for the recomendation! i bought it after hearing it from you
                                and i absolutely love it! i only wish it was longer! lol

                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andi, Andi Spring, Spring"

                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v434/EndlessD/Big_SPOILER_THE_END.jpg

                                Search.