Re: [Yuricon] Re: Skim

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008

      > God, another lesbian-schoolgirl story. I'm sick and tired of this :/
      > Did I say that lesbian motives in western comics are much better?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Sylwia

      This time I have to agree with Sylwia. I have nothing against good
      school yuri stories, but, quoting Led Zeppelin, "How many more
      times?". Since the end of sixties and "Shiroi no Heya..." almost all
      yuri authors are writing angsty stories about angsty schoolgirls
      (there are few exceptions, yes, I read some Sakurazawa's mangas). For
      example, I'd really like to read/watch fantasy/sf yuri story. And so?
      There are no such stories at all (please don't tell me that "Plastic
      Little" is yuri). Schoolgirls here, schoolgirls there, schoolgirls
      everywhere, nanana...
      I'm currently wriritng serie of reviews about yuri classics for my
      magazine. And sometimes I have to try really hard to show the readers
      that all these stroes are not the same ('cos sometimes they might have
      such impression). I'm also writing a reviews of new yuri mangas for my
      portal - and yes, the same problem here. Ansgt and emo everywhere! I
      really enjoyed reading "Iono Sama". How different it was!
      regards
      Grisznak
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: grisznakiw@...
        > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:50:03 +0100
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Skim
        >

        >> God, another lesbian-schoolgirl story. I'm sick and tired of this :/
        >> Did I say that lesbian motives in western comics are much better?
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >> Sylwia
        >
        > This time I have to agree with Sylwia. I have nothing against good
        > school yuri stories, but, quoting Led Zeppelin, "How many more
        > times?".

        Thousands. You folks haven't barely scratched the surface. Every day dozens of scholgirl crush series are produced. Manga in general focuses on high school life because for many Japanese people that is the one time they have some personal freedom and are mostly adult(ish).

        High school is when hormones start making us nuts, as we all know, and that lends itself to love/lust narratives.

        That having been said - that is why I do my best to include as many non-schoolgirl stories in "Yuri Monogatari" as possible. Because lesbians don't die at 25.

        And you might want to look into Gunjou, the series I mentioned earlier this week - not at *all* schoolgirl anything.

      • Jamie Wells
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
          >Because lesbians don't die at 25.

          I turned 25 yesterday!  :O

          noooooooooooooooo

          - Vexed Fusion

          Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
          > From: grisznakiw@gmail. com
          > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:50:03 +0100
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Skim
          >

          >> God, another lesbian-schoolgirl story. I'm sick and tired of this :/
          >> Did I say that lesbian motives in western comics are much better?
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> Sylwia
          >
          > This time I have to agree with Sylwia. I have nothing against good
          > school yuri stories, but, quoting Led Zeppelin, "How many more
          > times?".

          Thousands. You folks haven't barely scratched the surface. Every day dozens of scholgirl crush series are produced. Manga in general focuses on high school life because for many Japanese people that is the one time they have some personal freedom and are mostly adult(ish).

          High school is when hormones start making us nuts, as we all know, and that lends itself to love/lust narratives.

          That having been said - that is why I do my best to include as many non-schoolgirl stories in "Yuri Monogatari" as possible. Because lesbians don't die at 25.

          And you might want to look into Gunjou, the series I mentioned earlier this week - not at *all* schoolgirl anything.

          http://www.yuricon. org
          Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

          "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
          The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

          Climb to the top of the charts!�Play the word scramble challenge with star power.
          http://club. live.com/ star_shuffle. aspx?icid= starshuffle_ wlmailtextlink_ jan

        • bystrouska@free.fr
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008

            Le 27 févr. 08 à 15:21, Jamie Wells a écrit :

            >Because lesbians don't die at 25.

            I turned 25 yesterday!  :O

            noooooooooooooooo

            - Vexed Fusion

            Happy belated birthday! I turned 27 on Sunday... :)

            (hopefully queer girls have a higher life expectancy than genius rockstars?)

            Mathilde

          • Resop
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
              For fans of T.A.T.U. or the closing credits of Strawberry Panic style music
              videos, I found on Youtube a very interesting song by GAM called "Melodies"
              where Miki Fujimoto & Aya Matsuura create an "interesting atmosphere".

              Miki Fujimoto is formerly of Morning Musume (she was kicked out because she had
              a "secret boyfriend scandal"). While in MM her and group leader Hitomi
              Yoshizawa did a hilarious skit in a concert where they parodied two of their
              group mate's sub-group "Rainbow Pink".

              Craig
            • crimsonlotus20
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
                I recall reading something Nader wrote about anime frequently drawing
                on an elegiac sentiment prevalent in much Japanese art:'aware' or
                'mujo' or something to that effect. Possibly, the emphasis on high
                school is a classic case of rose-tinted glasses. Mythologisation of
                the past as an idealised cross-section of the human condition. High
                school is the crucible of awareness, where sexual and personal
                identity takes shape after many false-starts. Much of the yuri
                produced in this ambit is, IMHO, little removed from classic Oriental
                'skinship' - that is, convenient intermediate romances which fulfill a
                dual emotional/pseudo-sexual role. There is little sustained
                engagement, that I can see, with 'genuine' lesbian themes, in the
                sense that the repercussions and relationship are self-contained in a
                marginal setting. Basically, like SP! or Marimite lite: there is a
                sort of a hyper-reality determined by much adolescent angst which does
                not seriously spread out into a realm beyond wishful thinking or
                elegiac reflection.

                To make a long story short, thousands more cop-outs. Not that I'm
                advocating yuri cradle to grave, but what about a relationship that
                begins in...say, a University for a start...or something: is there
                life beyond high school? All right, to be fair, if you asked a
                Japanese salaryman, the answer is probably 'no'.

                Regards,
                MdG

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: crimsonlotus@...
                  > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:07:27 +0000
                  > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Skim.
                  >
                  > To make a long story short, thousands more cop-outs. Not that I'm
                  > advocating yuri cradle to grave, but what about a relationship that
                  > begins in...say, a University for a start...or something: is there
                  > life beyond high school? All right, to be fair, if you asked a
                  > Japanese salaryman, the answer is probably 'no'.

                  One of the reasons I chose artists like Rica Takashima, Eriko Tadeno, UKOZ and Sakuraike for
                  the YM anthologies is exactly that - they draw stories about women, not schoolgirls.

                  Tadeno's WORKs includes a college story, a two-part story about women working in an office (not as OLs)
                  and an established adult couple. Her "Everyday Adventures" in YM5 is about a long-term couple and the story we'll be
                  using for YM6 is about an older couple. (Older couple? Lesbians get old? They don't look like the women on "The L Word?"
                  Surely you jest!)

                  UKOZ's stories from YM5 are about college-age women and two adult teachers.

                  Rica's "Rica 'tte Kanji!?" is about a college student.

                  There *are* stories out there, mostly in the independent lesbian/doujinshi art world. Those are the stories I want to get over here.
                  We need more "Until the Sun Sets, then Rises Again." :-) I'll continue to do my very best to try and get that kind of thing over here,
                  even if it will never be as popular as "Strawberry Panic." (And even if the concept of anthology confuses people...)

                  http://biggestloser.msn.com/
                • crimsonlotus20
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
                    > We need more "Until the Sun Sets, then Rises Again." :-) I'll
                    >continue to do my very best to try and get that kind of thing over >here,

                    I agree: what of healthy, balanced long term relationships that
                    withstands the trials of time? There is so much more to a relationship
                    dynamic that could be explored. Ahh, wishful thinking, I suppose. I
                    suppose there's no chance of any of that material coming over to the
                    UK/Europe, is there?

                    Hopefully some will be uploaded to Lililicious, though their
                    translation schedule is pretty full.

                    Regards,
                    MdG

                    > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: crimsonlotus@...
                    > > Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:07:27 +0000
                    > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Skim.
                    > >
                    > > To make a long story short, thousands more cop-outs. Not that I'm
                    > > advocating yuri cradle to grave, but what about a relationship that
                    > > begins in...say, a University for a start...or something: is there
                    > > life beyond high school? All right, to be fair, if you asked a
                    > > Japanese salaryman, the answer is probably 'no'.
                    >
                    > One of the reasons I chose artists like Rica Takashima, Eriko
                    Tadeno, UKOZ and Sakuraike for
                    > the YM anthologies is exactly that - they draw stories about women,
                    not schoolgirls.

                    > Tadeno's WORKs includes a college story, a two-part story about
                    women working in an office (not as OLs)
                    > and an established adult couple. Her "Everyday Adventures" in YM5 is
                    about a long-term couple and the story we'll be
                    > using for YM6 is about an older couple. (Older couple? Lesbians get
                    old? They don't look like the women on "The L Word?"
                    > Surely you jest!)
                    >
                    > UKOZ's stories from YM5 are about college-age women and two adult
                    teachers.

                    > Rica's "Rica 'tte Kanji!?" is about a college student.
                    >
                    > There *are* stories out there, mostly in the independent
                    lesbian/doujinshi art world. Those are the stories I want to get over
                    here.
                    > We need more "Until the Sun Sets, then Rises Again." :-) I'll
                    continue to do my very best to try and get that kind of thing over here,
                    > even if it will never be as popular as "Strawberry Panic." (And even
                    if the concept of anthology confuses people...)

                    > http://www.yuricon.org

                    > Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!
                    > http://biggestloser.msn.com/

                  • Erin Subramanian
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2008
                      Erica Friedman wrote:

                      >And you might want to look into Gunjou, the series I mentioned earlier this week - not at *all* schoolgirl anything.

                      Those looking for non-schoolgirl stories may also find this list useful:
                      http://mizuno-youko.livejournal.com/60076.html

                      Erin