RE: [Yuricon] Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on "Worldshaking" Fanfic

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3 11:42 AM
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: crimsonlotus@...
      > Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:29:14 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on "Worldshaking" Fanfic
      >

      > good work and I hope there is more to come!

      We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much more beautiful in text than they would be in real life. (With no offense intended to those people who live the lifestyle.) I'm sure if anyone tried to do a live-action version of "Beloved" it would be hysterically awful. LOL In fact, I can see it clearly in my head and I'm laughing already.

      Anyway, glad you liked it. :-)

    • crimsonlotus20
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3 7:02 PM
        > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
        >more beautiful in text than they would be in real life.

        I'm glad you mentioned that, because I fully agree. Fiction, in a yuri
        context, is a useful (and amusing) though experiment on relationships
        and the gamut of female eroticism. It does not, in my view, have to be
        in any way immediately 'reproducible' in real life to be effective,
        but merely say something on the nature of the realms of possibility in
        fictional relationships. I don't think I have ever written a truly
        "realistic" fic in my life but that, in my view, is the central point
        of imagining different, fantasy worlds. Even if one has no inclination
        for BDSM, the characters - in a Pirandellian sense - in one's mind
        might, so from thence proceeds the story.

        Regards,
        MdG

        > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: crimsonlotus@...
        > > Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:29:14 +0000
        > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on
        "Worldshaking" Fanfic

        > > good work and I hope there is more to come!
        >
        > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
        more beautiful in text than they would be in real life. (With no
        offense intended to those people who live the lifestyle.) I'm sure if
        anyone tried to do a live-action version of "Beloved" it would be
        hysterically awful. LOL In fact, I can see it clearly in my head and
        I'm laughing already.

        > Anyway, glad you liked it. :-)

        > http://www.yuricon.org

        > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM,
        we give.
        > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

      • crimsonlotus20
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3 7:21 PM
          PS: speaking of BDSM, "Beloved" also springs to mind. Do we see a
          theme evolving here...?

          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...> wrote:

          > > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
          > >more beautiful in text than they would be in real life.
          >
          > I'm glad you mentioned that, because I fully agree. Fiction, in a yuri
          > context, is a useful (and amusing) though experiment on relationships
          > and the gamut of female eroticism. It does not, in my view, have to be
          > in any way immediately 'reproducible' in real life to be effective,
          > but merely say something on the nature of the realms of possibility in
          > fictional relationships. I don't think I have ever written a truly
          > "realistic" fic in my life but that, in my view, is the central point
          > of imagining different, fantasy worlds. Even if one has no inclination
          > for BDSM, the characters - in a Pirandellian sense - in one's mind
          > might, so from thence proceeds the story.
          >
          > Regards,
          > MdG

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 8:35 PM
            Message
            I wrote, once, on the uses of such fiction in self-discovery. Much depends on asking ourselves the appropriate questions. But what are those questions?

            So you read a lot of fanfiction, by people who seem to be scratching itches in the same vicinity you are. Some of the fiction will draw your attention; some will leave you cold. Look at the stories that draw your attention - they're the ones dealing with the questions you most need to answer for yourself.

            Saves a lot of time and experimentation. I figure it's simply taking Freud's coin-toss one step earlier: analyze your reactions to the available questions, rather than your reaction to the decision of the coin.

            Ellen Rose

            .