Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on "Worldshaking" Fanfic

  • crimsonlotus20
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
      Right, so I'm finally breaking my month-long silence on Yuricon.
      Unfortunately, the only way to describe this prolonged leave of
      absence is the dreaded R(eal)L(ife), especially if viewed in the
      context of a miserable postgraduate degree. So I spent most of January
      amending for my insouciance over the holidays.

      I think Erica's new fic is as good as any to return to the list. I am,
      as always, immensely grateful for a yuri fic which exhibits the
      crucial characteristics of being (a) well-written (and I don't mean
      meaningful, trash can be well-written from a technical standpoint and
      still be trash) and (b) worth reading. The latter is a purely
      subjective point, but as a long-time observer/occasional poster on
      shoujoai.com and Devianthearts, the more I think about, the more I
      realise that a good readable yuri fic is a rare find indeed.

      I have already spoken to Erica on this subject via Yuricon chat and,
      whereas I understand she does not have much time to dedicate to
      writing these days, I think that the Yuricon board should, as a rule,
      try to encourage the writing of good yuri fiction as one of the key
      activities of the mailing group. But I am a writer myself - and
      therefore biased - so all I can, impartially, conclude is: good work
      and I hope there is more to come!

      Regards,
      MdG

      > Okay, so a while back, Sean Gaffney wrote a pornographic little romp
      called "Touko in Wonderland" which you probably shouldn't read even if
      you aren't a minor, because it's very, very bad for the brain. LOL It
      was certainly bad for my brain, so I've written an equally bad side
      story for his porniverse.

      > You can find "Touko in Wonderland" on the Fanfic Revolution's site:
      http://fanficrevolution.blogspot.com And should you be moved to learn
      the history Sachiko alludes to, of the tradition of Rosa Chinensis
      disciple, please feel free to wander over to
      http://www.worldshaking.net to readthis month's story - "Beloved."

      > Both of these have mature themes, so if you are a minor - as unfair
      as it seems to you - please do not click these links. Following them
      is an affidavit that you are of the age of legal majority in your
      home. Thank you for being considerate and mature..

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: crimsonlotus@...
        > Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:29:14 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on "Worldshaking" Fanfic
        >

        > good work and I hope there is more to come!

        We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much more beautiful in text than they would be in real life. (With no offense intended to those people who live the lifestyle.) I'm sure if anyone tried to do a live-action version of "Beloved" it would be hysterically awful. LOL In fact, I can see it clearly in my head and I'm laughing already.

        Anyway, glad you liked it. :-)

      • crimsonlotus20
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
          >more beautiful in text than they would be in real life.

          I'm glad you mentioned that, because I fully agree. Fiction, in a yuri
          context, is a useful (and amusing) though experiment on relationships
          and the gamut of female eroticism. It does not, in my view, have to be
          in any way immediately 'reproducible' in real life to be effective,
          but merely say something on the nature of the realms of possibility in
          fictional relationships. I don't think I have ever written a truly
          "realistic" fic in my life but that, in my view, is the central point
          of imagining different, fantasy worlds. Even if one has no inclination
          for BDSM, the characters - in a Pirandellian sense - in one's mind
          might, so from thence proceeds the story.

          Regards,
          MdG

          > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: crimsonlotus@...
          > > Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:29:14 +0000
          > > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: New Maria-sama ga Miteru Fanfic on
          "Worldshaking" Fanfic

          > > good work and I hope there is more to come!
          >
          > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
          more beautiful in text than they would be in real life. (With no
          offense intended to those people who live the lifestyle.) I'm sure if
          anyone tried to do a live-action version of "Beloved" it would be
          hysterically awful. LOL In fact, I can see it clearly in my head and
          I'm laughing already.

          > Anyway, glad you liked it. :-)

          > http://www.yuricon.org

          > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM,
          we give.
          > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=text_hotmail_join

        • crimsonlotus20
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            PS: speaking of BDSM, "Beloved" also springs to mind. Do we see a
            theme evolving here...?

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...> wrote:

            > > We talked about this a little on the FR. BDSM stories are often much
            > >more beautiful in text than they would be in real life.
            >
            > I'm glad you mentioned that, because I fully agree. Fiction, in a yuri
            > context, is a useful (and amusing) though experiment on relationships
            > and the gamut of female eroticism. It does not, in my view, have to be
            > in any way immediately 'reproducible' in real life to be effective,
            > but merely say something on the nature of the realms of possibility in
            > fictional relationships. I don't think I have ever written a truly
            > "realistic" fic in my life but that, in my view, is the central point
            > of imagining different, fantasy worlds. Even if one has no inclination
            > for BDSM, the characters - in a Pirandellian sense - in one's mind
            > might, so from thence proceeds the story.
            >
            > Regards,
            > MdG

          • Ellen Kuhfeld
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
              Message
              I wrote, once, on the uses of such fiction in self-discovery. Much depends on asking ourselves the appropriate questions. But what are those questions?

              So you read a lot of fanfiction, by people who seem to be scratching itches in the same vicinity you are. Some of the fiction will draw your attention; some will leave you cold. Look at the stories that draw your attention - they're the ones dealing with the questions you most need to answer for yourself.

              Saves a lot of time and experimentation. I figure it's simply taking Freud's coin-toss one step earlier: analyze your reactions to the available questions, rather than your reaction to the decision of the coin.

              Ellen Rose

              .