DC and Pulp cover art.

  • Jeyl
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      A couple of weeks ago I decided to get into the DC comic book "Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood" series that's about a former cop named Renee Montoya who goes under the guise of "The Question" (Facial features completely vanish and hair changes color) while trying to find a group of murderers who follow crime like a religion.

      I must also point out that Renee is a lesbian in the DC universe, and in volume two of this series she goes undercover into a pleasure house where these religious freaks are trying to recruit a USA Colonel into their cause by blackmail. The only way Renee can seem convincing enough to go in without being suspicious is if she spends time with one of the girls that works there. However, since Renee is a "crime fighter for great justice!", she doesn't sleep with her at all during her visits, which drives the girl crazy (though Renee's dodging attempts don't last long of course).

      While not a big deal overall, I decided last night to look up some other lesbian pulp book covers that you have mentioned and I found one that caught my attention. It was called "I Prefer Girls" by Jessie Dumont.

      http://www.allposters.com/-sp/I-Prefer-Girls-Posters_i846932_.htm

      It was than I realized that the cover reminded me of the DC cover for volume two of the Crime Book series!

      http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=8307

      "Holly cow!" I thought. They made a huge visual reference to a Lesbian Pulp novel on a DC comic book cover!

      Anyways, I just found that out last night and thought you would get a kick out of it.

      Have a good one!
      -Ted (The Bellboy)

      P.S. Anime Boston? Count me in!
    • Elwin Coldiron
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        Very interesting.  And speaking of interesting, if you want to see more lesbian pulp fiction covers, there's the site "Strange Sisters".  It took a little hunting around my yuri bookmarks, but I found it.

        http://www.strangesisters.com/index.htm

        Let me know what you think.

        Blaine

        "When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my pistol."
        Stephen W. Hawking

        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          From: theo@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:43:02 -0500

          > "Holly cow!" I thought. They made a huge visual reference to a Lesbian Pulp novel on a DC comic book cover!

          > Anyways, I just found that out last night and thought you would get a kick out of it.

          I definitely did. It struck me as really interesting that they did that. I wonder if it was snuck in under the radar, or done openly on purpose