Yuri characters with GAR

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
      Often when I mention this character aspect in conversation I must
      explain it, so for those of you who have been unlucky not to come
      across this term:

      **** Random explanation of GAR ****

      GAR: is another one of those otaku character and situation aspects
      that has gained more notoriety in the past few years or so, amongst
      English speaking fans at least.

      GAR like moe and other similar vague aspects is tough to define in an
      exact language, so the best way to describe it would be to point to a
      character who definitely has that aspect.

      The current GAR yardstick in my small opinion is still Kamina from
      'Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann' As his character holds many of the
      aspects that make up GAR. So for a good example of GAR see the first
      seven episodes of Gurren Lagann.

      **** end of explanation ****

      Really breaking it down GAR is a catch all term for aggressive, tough
      and cool characters.

      The only problem is one comes to notice: "Uh, there aren't very many
      female GAR characters."

      Really I can only come up with two:

      Seirei no Moribito's Balsa (BTW I believe they are going to translate
      and release the original novel!)

      Iono The Fanatics' Iono.

      So does anyone her know of any female characters who are GAR? More
      specifically does anyone know of any female characters in Yuri who are
      GAR? (this is a Yuri mailing list after all)
    • Robert Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
        Lady Oscar? Megumi from Tenshi ni Konamaki?

        Personally, Benten and Ryuunosuke from Urusei Yatsura are two girls I'm really GAr for. Also, Motoko from Love Hina, but she's not that GAR.

        --
        Robert Kelly
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
          Question: did Guy from Nadesco have GAR?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
            <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

            > Really breaking it down GAR is a catch all term for aggressive, tough
            > and cool characters.

            If Iono-sama is GAR, then basically, it means "competent" yes? Because
            she's hardly tough or aggressive. :-)

            Going with tough, aggressive and competent, I'd say, off the top of my
            head,

            Rally Vincent - Gunsmith Cats
            Kuraku Asuka - Hana no Asuka-gumi
            Asamiya Saki - Sukeban Deka

            and as I scan my shelves here, I can come up with dozens of
            characters, but have decided to stop listing or I'll be here for
            *hours*. lol

            Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
            http://okazu.blogspot.com
          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, hayesman@... wrote:

              > Question: did Guy from Nadesco have GAR?

              I'd say so. But I have not watched enough Nadesco to be sure.

              Also I always thought of Iono as GAR because of her general attitude,
              in that she never wavers, regardless of what happens she is always in
              control of the situation. In spite of that she is sill a cute-loveing,
              laughing black hair fetishist. It is the powerfully feeling of 'This
              is myself and this is the only self possible' that makes it for me (at
              the very least).

              Asuka from Hana no Asuka-gumi, I'd say is very GAR, from the small
              amount I have read. She needs to be brought up more often.
            • Joseph Saunders
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008
                <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, hayesman@ wrote:
                > >
                > > Question: did Guy from Nadesco have GAR?
                >
                > I'd say so. But I have not watched enough Nadesco to be sure.
                >
                > Also I always thought of Iono as GAR because of her general attitude,
                > in that she never wavers, regardless of what happens she is always in
                > control of the situation. In spite of that she is sill a cute-loveing,
                > laughing black hair fetishist. It is the powerfully feeling of 'This
                > is myself and this is the only self possible' that makes it for me (at
                > the very least).
                >
                > Asuka from Hana no Asuka-gumi, I'd say is very GAR, from the small
                > amount I have read. She needs to be brought up more often.

                I hope Infinity Studios will translate and distribute volume 2 soon. I
                have enjoyed Queen Iono-sama very much..and her continual search for
                sobame!!
              • sarcastic_weasel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2008

                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
                  > <in_the_name_of_union7@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Really breaking it down GAR is a catch all term for aggressive, tough
                  > > and cool characters.

                  You could pretty much go with most of the women in Silent Mobius as
                  being pretty GAR, especially Kiddy Phenil. Wow, there's a series I
                  haven't read/watched in a loooong time.
                • ashura_n
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
                    Major Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
                    definitely comes to mind as a cool aggressive tough character.

                    Yuri-wise, I guess I need to watch more.
                  • mara_papimer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 9, 2008
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "ashura_n" <ashura_n@...> wrote:

                      > Major Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
                      > definitely comes to mind as a cool aggressive tough character.

                      Not to sound like one is being haughty. But Motoko disqualifies
                      herself with her immense maturity and understanding, personified in
                      this quote.

                      "The mark of an immature man is one who would die for a cause. The
                      mark of a mature man is one who would live humbly for one."

                      Motoko Kusanagi is in fact an even rearer form of female character.
                      One so rare as far as I know we don't really have a buzzword for it.

                      A hero who does the 'right thing' yet openly admits to both herself
                      and others that her morality is purely her own decision and is just as
                      flawed and unfair as everybody else's (or potently). But she doesn't
                      care for or need a perfect morality, because she is capable enough to
                      know that it is a childish dream.

                      Sad then that she seems to be, pretty much the only woman in the GITS
                      world with any screen time who isn't a sex doll.

                      I still can't believe that no one has mentioned Elle Ragu yet.