Bests and Worsts

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
      "Best" and "worst" are entirely subjective, but I thought it would be
      fun to share the manga or anime that you watched that you consider the
      best and the worst you've seen/read to date. It need not be Yuri.

      My worst anime and manga both have Yuri and are, quite coincidentally,
      the same series. Eikyuu Alice: Kagihime Rondo Monogatari was the
      absolute worst series I've read and watched in the last five years.
      Second place for worst anime was Shusaku Replay, but that at least is
      meant to be repulsive.

      The best manga I've read...hrm. That's much harder to answer. It's a
      tie right now between Hayate x Blade and Iono-sama Fanatics for sheer
      happy-happy-joy-joy-ness when I re-re-re-read the volumes.

      The best anime I've ever seen, bar none, is Seirei no Moribito. Head
      and shoulders above anything else I've ever watched.

      Let's hear it, folks - what do you consider you best and worsts right
      now?

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
      http://okazu.blogspot.com
    • Grisznak
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
        Worst...let me think. Heh, it's hard to tell, because some titles have
        stupid and ugly storyline and design with sexual lesbian contant -
        like "Alice in Sex Land" (futanari - bleuuuurgh...), but it's rather
        hentai than yuri. But speaking about typical yuri - "Blue" it was way
        too depressive for me. "Blue Drop" wasn't also good thing. "Strawberry
        Panic" - I know that many people likes this serie, but sorry folks,
        for me it's only bad copy of Marimite.
        Best? "Brother, Dear Brother" by Ikeda - it's still on my personal
        manga top. I love "Lady Oscar" and "Claudine" but first of them have
        very small yuri content and about second we were talking here, and if
        I remember well, Erica claimed that main heroine couldn't be call
        lesbian. Also, "Adolescene of Utena" - it's one of my favourite
        movies, more than animated but totally. Again, this movie is much
        more than only yuri.
        regards
        Grisznak

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: grisznakiw@...
          > Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:35:05 +0100
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Bests and Worsts
          >
          > Worst...let me think. Heh, it's hard to tell, because some titles have
          > stupid and ugly storyline and design with sexual lesbian contant -
          > like "Alice in Sex Land" (futanari - bleuuuurgh...), but it's rather
          > hentai than yuri. But speaking about typical yuri - "Blue" it was way
          > too depressive for me.

          I found "Blue" to be okay in manga form, but no more than okay. The live-action movie was dreadful.

          > Best? "Brother, Dear Brother" by Ikeda - it's still on my personal
          > manga top. I love "Lady Oscar" and "Claudine" but first of them have
          > very small yuri content and about second we were talking here, and if
          > I remember well, Erica claimed that main heroine couldn't be call
          > lesbian.

          I actually said that Claudine might be seen as transgendered or lesbian and there was an equally strong case for either. Or both. Or something else. Ultimately, as a media model for sexual minorities in the early 70s, I think Claudine really stands out as a dramatic character.

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
            Message
            Wow, bests and worsts. I don't usually have any worsts, because I won't put up with something bad for long enough to be sure its all bad. But I like Tenchi very much, so I watched all the way through "Tenchi in Tokyo" - and that gets it the nod for Godawful-for-sure.

            Best? Depends on my mood. Utena (series, not movie). Ouran High School Host Club. I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs. Tenchi ("Tenchi Universe" and/or the original OVAs, not the ones that came on years later.) Marimite. Cardcaptor Sakura. "Sailor Moon S".

            And for the fun of it, even though it's neither wonderful nor horrible - "Space Pirate Mito". That one is fun in the same way "Battle Beyond the Stars" and assorted Godzilla movies are.

            Ellen Rose
          • Carmen DiProspero
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
              I don't read much manga, but I can tell you my
              personal bests and worsts anime:
              This is what I'm watching now, I have other titles too
              numerous to mention.

              Best anime in the Yuri catagory are Kashimashi,
              Simoun, and Ninja Nonsense. Non-yuri would be Season 2
              of Super Gals!, Genshiken and Tsubasa Chronicle.
              Girl's High and Kirameki Project would fall in the
              middle of Best and Worst, not too bad but not great.

              Best live-action based on an anime? The Cutie Honey
              movie, hands down!

              As for the worst? Girls Bravo, DearS, and Green Green.
              These titles may not be yuri but I can only take so
              much ecchi fan-service (I almost put Green Green in
              the middle catagory, but after watching some of the
              eps again, my "Worst" meter almost hit the roof! lol)

              Carmen ^_^ (don't worry, I'm not lurking)

              > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant
              > messaging. You IM, we give.

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008

                > Let's hear it, folks - what do you consider you best and worsts right
                > now?

                The best Anime (so far), hands down, is Haibane Renmei. No
                fanservice, no violence, but its deceptively simply storlyine rocks and
                is just beautiful. I've yet to see Serei no Moribito, so we'll see
                until then. The best manga--I don't know, either Angel/Dust or Fruits
                Basket.
                I don't know too many worsts, because I have this tendency to see
                the good in everything I check out and rarely dislike anything. But to
                name one each; for anime, it's Parasite Dolls or Alien Nine (just the
                anime version), for manga, either Venus Vs. Virus or Kedamono Damono.
                As for yuri specifically, I can't really pick any single one. For
                now I'm fond of both the anime and manga versions of Kashimashi, and
                the Utena movie is awesome in various ways--Pachy
              • samantha luquin
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
                  atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                  Let's hear it, folks - what do you consider you best and worsts right
                  now?

                  Bests and worsts...hard to say.
                  The "best anime" spot is held by Cyborg 009, Sailor Moon, and Maria-sama ga Miteru depending on how I feel at the moment.
                  Best manga is probably Cyborg 009. Only Shaman King interests me as much and I find the 00's much better.

                  Worst is hard...I don't dislike most things unless I absolutely hate with all my being. For anime I can only think of Kannazuki no Miko...I could not stand that show. The whining and the poorly done mecha scenes made me sad...Still, I'm sure I've seen worse. For manga I have no idea...I could name countless series I don't care for but not something I could describe as the worst thing I've ever read. I'm probably just too nice and  indecisive.
                  Ah well...So that's all I have to say. Bye then, have a nice day.
                  -Samantha

                • sarcastic_weasel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 25, 2008
                    What a deceptively difficult topic. It seems simple on the surface,
                    but jeez...

                    For Best Anime, I'm going to list 5, each for different reasons,
                    because that's as few as I can narrow it down to: MSGM (duh), Haibane
                    Renmei (duh), FLCL (awesome music, fun), Cowboy Bebop (awesome music,
                    first real anime series I followed), and Honey and Clover (great
                    ensemble, lots of angsty fun.) An honorable mention goes out to KyoAni
                    for Clannad so far.

                    For Best Manga, ouch. That's hard. Reeeeally hard. Ichigo Masimaro, of
                    course. It's Miu's world, we just take up space on it. Aria is great,
                    too. Ghost Hunt is a good adaptation, Kare Kano was good, too, hmm...
                    of course, XXXHolic and just about anything CLAMP. And yes, I'm one of
                    those LFBs who like Negima. It started out as rubbish, but it's gotten
                    a whole lot better over the last few years.

                    For Worst Anime, I'd say... hmm... this is tough, because if I don't
                    like a series, I won't tough it out. But here are a few bad ones:
                    Yoake Mae Crescent Love (to quote comic book guy "Worst Animation
                    Ever"-- I'm looking at you, green bowling ball masquerading as
                    cabbage), Happiness! (ugh), Onegai-anything (ugh), then there were a
                    few so bad, I've blocked their names from the conscious part of my
                    brain, but if I see the titles, I'll recognize them with a full-body
                    shudder. I'd also say Eva, because I just found it tiresome, and I had
                    to fight the urge to slap the crap out of Shinji every time I tried to
                    watch it. (Heresy, I know, but it wasn't that good to me.)

                    Worst Manga, huh? Well, I don't have a worst manga per se, but I have
                    a worst manga publisher, and that's ADV. They're quitters, and I hate
                    quitters. They start carrying a series, then just stop. No
                    announcement, nothing. Just no more issues. Amateur is a state of
                    mind, and they embody it. Their translations aren't too hot, either.
                    (Or at least they weren't when I was buying their stuff.) Maybe they
                    got their act together in the last few years, but I'm not going to
                    find out. Fool me once...

                    Their inconsistency is one of the many reasons I started buying
                    Japanese tankubons, and I'm gradually weaning myself off of US manga
                    translations.

                    Oh wait, the manga adaptation of FLCL was pretty bad, IIRC.
                  • Adam Jones
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 25, 2008
                      On 24-Jan-2008 16:41 -0000, atheniag wrote:
                      > "Best" and "worst" are entirely subjective, but I thought it would be
                      > fun to share the manga or anime that you watched that you consider the
                      > best and the worst you've seen/read to date. It need not be Yuri.

                      On the anime side, I'd say my top stories are (in descending order):

                      Utena (for having so much depth, both metaphorical and emotional, and an
                      ending which was nothing short of stunning)

                      Haibane Renmei (not least for being one of the very few things which can
                      nearly move me to tears, even on repeat viewings)

                      Mushishi (quiet, creepy, lyrical, and so very beautiful; also some
                      delightfully understated romance)

                      Simoun (the central arc of the story is some of the most consistently
                      outstanding drama I've seen; and for always taking the road less
                      travelled)

                      And on the manga side:

                      Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (easily one of the most beautiful stories I've
                      read in any medium; it's hard to recommend it enough)

                      Monster (tense, clever and complex, but also because it succeeds in
                      humanising even the most minor of its characters)

                      Bokurano (somewhat tentative, because the ending could yet jump the
                      shark; bleak, painful, ruthlessly compelling, and hiding moments of
                      utter beauty and nobility amid the wreckage)

                      Aria (because even I need something cheerful and relaxing once in a
                      while, and at its best it really is quite delightful)

                      As to the worst things, well, for the most part I've blotted them from
                      my memory quite intentionally. Ikkitousen and Air Master both left me
                      mentally scarred after only a single episode. Whilst the Read or Die TV
                      series wasn't bad, given how much everyone else I know adored it, I did
                      find it utterly disappointing. Silent Service was quite hilariously
                      awful - somewhat like being repeatedly bludgeoned about the head with an
                      ultra-nationalist 2x4. And speaking of unsubtle nationalism, the
                      original Macross was pretty horrible too, although that may just have
                      been my desperate desire for someone, anyone, to just shove Minmay out
                      the nearest airlock already...
                      .oO("comboillness with bulimia barforoma?" )
                    • Sylwia 'Louise' Kazmierczak
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 25, 2008
                        I've never been a big fan of japanese animation cause it sucks.
                        Especially when we speak about lesbian threads. I like "Utena"
                        and "Strawberry Panic". Unfortunately they have young characters but
                        also adult take on lesbian theme which is good.
                        The worst yuri or s-ai anime which I've seen? "Kannazuki no Miko"
                        and "Marimite" :/

                        Good non yuri/s-ai anime are Haibane Renmei, Akira, GITS, Jin-Roh,
                        Darkside Blues and Yotoden.

                        I love comic books so I read manga also. But I'm looking for real
                        lesbian plot in manga, not funny or dramatic school / fantasy stories
                        with 16 years old girls. It gets on my nerves. I prefer slice-of-life
                        stories, like "Honey&Honey", "Works", "Rica `tte Kanji", works of
                        Yamaji Ebine, some stories from Mist magazine.
                        I also enjoyed new on the market "Girl's Only". We can see there
                        lesbian erotica in feminine shot.

                        Beside yuri I like crime and samurai stories
                        like "Golgo13", "Sanctuary", "Kozure Okami" etc. Oh, and "Claymore"
                        also.

                        To be honest - the lesbian storylines are much better in american
                        comic books than in manga.

                        Cheers,
                        Sylwia

                        --
                        http://comixgrrrlz.neostrada.pl
                      • mara_papimer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 25, 2008
                          Mmmm... Doing these can be hard because when you mention your absolute
                          favorite you feel that you are leavening out your other favorites.

                          Favorite anime: Utena
                          Hard to decide, but I would say Utena because when it tries to be
                          funny it really is funny. And if you compare it to some of the other
                          anime coming out today that are deliberately comedy anime they are
                          nowhere near as good as Utena was when it was funny.

                          Favorite Manga:Kare Kano
                          Although I have yet to read all twenty-one volumes one after the other
                          like I would like to do Kare Kano would be my favorite without even
                          trying. You do not even need to take into account the story or setting
                          but simply how this manga is made, why oh why can't everyone panel a
                          manga or a comic like Kare Kano.

                          Favorite Anime movie: Patlabor
                          Have you watched the first Patlabor movie? No? Then that is like
                          saying you have never seen a full moon, snow or have never been
                          swimming. It's just one of those things you have to see or do to have
                          a complete life. Forget that all the good characters turn up and have
                          nice even parts in this movie, but when I first watched (13) I was
                          scared out of my mind by the antagonist who dies right at the
                          beginning! Truly contains the best homage to 'The Birds' ever.

                          Favorite visual game: Sapphism no Gensou
                          You may sneer if you know the story and I agree with you however, this
                          game not only has one of the best casts in a visual game I have
                          played, but the main character is likable too. Those who do not play
                          these games would not know but so often the main character is totally
                          unlikable. Not so in SnG where the main character, despite being a bit
                          of a lolicon and an utter cad is still completely charming and cool.
                          The main cast is great too, it is a shame that they did not get a
                          better main story or setting.

                          Worst...

                          Anime: Giyver & Love Hina
                          Manga: Futari Ecchi
                          Movie: Legend of the overfield (English name)
                          game: (I make sure to only play good games) Is what I would love to
                          say but: X-change (the entire disgusting series)
                        • Laquandus Marion
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 25, 2008
                            Here my best and worst anime and manga

                            Best anime: Genshiken for interesting look of otaku in college setting
                            Devilman Lady for horror and look at evolution and being human
                            Samurai Champloo mixture of hip-hop and feudal Japan
                            Mai-Hime sort of eschew the magical girl genre even it just a sci-fi
                            show
                            Trinity Blood the main character seems a rip-off of Vash the Stampede
                            and Arcura from Hellsing but have some great action and some drama

                            Worst anime: Lucky Star I not hate it for per se but it being popluar
                            for shake being popluar and almost scream a Azamanga Daioh rip-off
                            with pop culture

                            Every show with excessive amount of fan service it huge turn off for
                            me

                            Best manga: Rurorni Kenshin for showing mixture of historical Japan
                            duing the Meji restoration period and great action and human drama

                            Genshiken: The manga actually go a little further than the anime and
                            manga ending a little sad when almost everyone graduation from college

                            Angel Sancutary Dark shoujo manga with incest usually I don't like
                            but I make exception of the rule with hunting theme of reincarnation
                            and nature of God, heaven and hell with a happy ending

                            Worst Manga Battle Vixen aka Ikki Tousen The only good part is it
                            about the Romance of the Three Kingdoms also unforunately it got too
                            much fan service and the translation making the characters sounding
                            they are American Teenagers

                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer"
                            <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

                            > Mmmm... Doing these can be hard because when you mention your
                            absolute
                            > favorite you feel that you are leavening out your other favorites.
                            >
                            > Favorite anime: Utena
                            > Hard to decide, but I would say Utena because when it tries to be
                            > funny it really is funny. And if you compare it to some of the other
                            > anime coming out today that are deliberately comedy anime they are
                            > nowhere near as good as Utena was when it was funny.
                            >
                            > Favorite Manga:Kare Kano
                            > Although I have yet to read all twenty-one volumes one after the
                            other
                            > like I would like to do Kare Kano would be my favorite without even
                            > trying. You do not even need to take into account the story or
                            setting
                            > but simply how this manga is made, why oh why can't everyone panel a
                            > manga or a comic like Kare Kano.
                            >
                            > Favorite Anime movie: Patlabor
                            > Have you watched the first Patlabor movie? No? Then that is like
                            > saying you have never seen a full moon, snow or have never been
                            > swimming. It's just one of those things you have to see or do to
                            have
                            > a complete life. Forget that all the good characters turn up and
                            have
                            > nice even parts in this movie, but when I first watched (13) I was
                            > scared out of my mind by the antagonist who dies right at the
                            > beginning! Truly contains the best homage to 'The Birds' ever.
                            >
                            > Favorite visual game: Sapphism no Gensou
                            > You may sneer if you know the story and I agree with you however,
                            this
                            > game not only has one of the best casts in a visual game I have
                            > played, but the main character is likable too. Those who do not play
                            > these games would not know but so often the main character is
                            totally
                            > unlikable. Not so in SnG where the main character, despite being a
                            bit
                            > of a lolicon and an utter cad is still completely charming and cool.
                            > The main cast is great too, it is a shame that they did not get a
                            > better main story or setting.
                            >
                            > Worst...
                            >
                            > Anime: Giyver & Love Hina
                            > Manga: Futari Ecchi
                            > Movie: Legend of the overfield (English name)
                            > game: (I make sure to only play good games) Is what I would love to
                            > say but: X-change (the entire disgusting series)

                          • rvwill1930
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                              My favorite anime are Simoun, Twelve Kingdoms and several of

                              Miyazki's works such as Spirited Away and Nausicaa. The worst is

                              Raimauro Senkitan a ridiculous version of the Russo Japanese war with

                              magical girls - I had just read a history of this war before viewing.

                              I haven't read any manga.
                            • Resop
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                                I'm not saying Raimauro Senkitan is good (I haven't seen it) but the
                                description "a ridiculous version of a real life war with magical girls" could
                                also apply to Kamikaze Kiato Jeanne...

                                Craig

                              • mantennashowers@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008