Gakuen Alice vol.1 (Tokyopop manga)

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      (Hotaru speaks to Mikan for the first time, suggesting they team up
      for a beauty contest)

      MIKAN: "At that time I realised... WE COULD BE A PREMIUM BLEND!"
      (coffee cup in background)

      ...wow.

      I mean... that's just... whoa. That is one *hell* of a line. Mikan's
      'jilted lover' lines flow thick n' fast in the first issue once
      Hotaru's left, and that's good for laffs, but it was her flashback
      java analogy that scored her MEGA yuri points in my book. From their
      first meeting, she knew. Even subconciously, with a line like that...
      she *knew*.

      And that's just peachy.

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        TokyoPop? Aw, man. Other than buying a couple of their OEL titles
        (Dramacon, The Dreaming) to support the creators, I try not to give TP
        any of my money (long story, off-list replies only).

        Guess I'll have to get Gakuen Alice in Japanese, like I did with the
        CLAMP stuff and Miracle Girls.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          > From: johannconradchua@...
          > Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:43:42 +0800
          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Gakuen Alice vol.1 (Tokyopop manga)
          >
          > TokyoPop? Aw, man. Other than buying a couple of their OEL titles
          > (Dramacon, The Dreaming) to support the creators, I try not to give TP
          > any of my money (long story, off-list replies only).
          >
          > Guess I'll have to get Gakuen Alice in Japanese, like I did with the
          > CLAMP stuff and Miracle Girls.

          Not having anything against TP, I have to say that this is just about the *only* series I've ever waited for to be translated. Not because I think it's all that, but because I was simply too lazy to read it in Japanese. :-) By the time the anime ended there were already 8 volumes of manga out and I couldn't be bothered reading them raw, when I knew that TP had the license. Who knew they would decide to delay the release until Fruits Basket was ending? So I've hung on, waiting for this series to be released in English.

          I'm glad it's fianlly out - it's a cute series and I enjoyed the anime. And the relationship between Mikan and Hotaru.

          Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more