Re: [Yuricon] Re: Blue Drop episode 13

  • Rikaishi
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008

      Righto

      My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from the pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out the window and being all philosophical.
      It fits for a few reasons (more hints I guess). First, against all probability we have Tsubael, Azanael and Micchi gathered so why would Mari be missing? Second I can easily see how being the first human to have loved an Arume could lead her into a career as a diplomat and peacemaker. Third the very last shot of her looking out the window is a circular reference to the first time we see Mari in ep 1 and finally the voices don't fit.
      Bah, just rewatched the scene and it's actually really obvious, the voice speaking as the camera pulls away from Diplomat-looking-out-the-window sounds like Tsubael's but is actually Kouzuki, and the Arume sounds like Azanael, leaving Tsubael as the only awol character.
      Also, although I was watching a low-quality version, the "rift" looked to me like it may have actually been the Arume mothership they were docking with.

      I was just wondering. So Hagino dumps Tsubael off on an escape pod and commandeers a suicide mission into Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship. Couldn't Hagino have, you know, jumped off or escaped, or something, once the ship was on course? I mean, there was a high possibility she'd die by some explosion, get chewed up by the weird explody light things coming off Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship, or just died on impact into the ocean but you know, that's better than certain death by ramming into the ship.

      Exactly what I was thinking, I'd rather have seen her try and fail to escape then just sit there and virtually suicide. Maybe it's a captain-going-down-with-her-ship thing, or the Arume love of self-sacrifice (interesting point - do you think the carpet bombers were real Arume or manufactured "booby" traps?) alternatively, maybe the producers just decided that having her calmly accept her fate would fit the overall mood better.

      Ah well, it was a fun series, and an unquestionably yuri series. It had a few flaws, like the ending and weird production glitches with facial expressions in some scenes, but the characters and voice acting was top notch and overall I enjoyed the story. Even some of the flaws (like the ending) seem to have a certain purpose, eg very little is explained about the background politics, telepathy and Mari's importance, but I believe this was intentional since the series is focused on the girls and their relationships. Leaving out this information improves that focus, puts the audience in a similar position to Mari, who has no idea why all this is happening, and avoids the common mistake of immersion-jarring infodumps.
    • Joseph Saunders
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
        Maybe the whole 13 episode series was Mari's memories while she was gazing out the shuttle window episode 1 as the brown-haired adult woman going to formally meet the aliens on the earth governements behalf....

        Rikaishi <rikashi@...> wrote:
        Spoler Space as required
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .

        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .
        .

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rikaishi <rikashi@...> wrote:

          I finally had a chance to see this. I think it was as good as we
          could have expected.

          > Spoler Space as required
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          >
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > .
          > Righto
          >
          > My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from
          the
          > pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out
          the
          > window and being all philosophical.

          Agreed.

          The fact that there is negotiation at all going on, says to me that
          it has to be Mari. She is clearly sympatico with the Arume.

          The lack of more detailed info about the war, the politics, the whole
          setup is consistent with the manga, which sort of summarizes
          everything and moved on from there, with a little action in between
          Yui macking on the girls. :-)

          On the whole, I liked the series, and thought the ending stayed
          mostly free from wallowing and maudlin, for which I applaud it. Noble
          self-sacrifice was inevitable on Hagino's part, since she blamed
          herself for the whole thing and she consistently acted like a 17 year
          old, not a mature commander of a ship. Lucky for her, the ship itself
          did the work of an entire crew...

          It was good. I wish it had been longer.

        • Kazu-kun
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008

            2008/1/5, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...>:
            >  > Spoler Space as required
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  >
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > .
            >  > Righto
            >  >
            >  > My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from
            >  the
            >  > pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out
            >  the
            >  > window and being all philosophical.
            >
            >  Agreed.
            >
            >  The fact that there is negotiation at all going on, says to me that
            >  it has to be Mari. She is clearly sympatico with the Arume.

            Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the
            shuttle's pilot, directly states that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.

            Mari is nowhere to be seen at the end. Is that disappointing? Maybe, but that's how it is. Hope the "Maiorita Tenshi" manga (the one released along with the DVDs) will throw some light on Mari's whereabouts.

            Kazu
            PS: This is my first post here so Hello everybody!!

          • Katie
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
              > > > Spoiler Space
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > >
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > > > .
              > Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the shuttle's pilot, directly states
              > that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full
              > power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.

              This means that there is still some hope for a redemptive, healing
              love affair between Azanael and Tsubael. I was really hoping for that
              by the end of the series.

              Katie
            • Kazu-kun
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008

                2008/1/6, Katie <spacetart@...>:

                > > >  > Spoiler Space
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  >
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > >  > .
                >  > Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the shuttle's pilot, directly states
                >  > that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full
                >  > power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.
                >  >
                >
                >  This means that there is still some hope for a redemptive, healing
                >  love affair between Azanael and Tsubael. I was really hoping for that
                >  by the end of the series.

                Well, you can tell they still bicker all the time like they used to do during most of the series, but I also think there's potential for something there ^^.

                Kazu