Blue Drop episode 13

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 25, 2007
      Final episode. Spoilers. Duh. ;)

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      IS

      HERE

      Well, /that/ was inevitable. <sniffle>

      So we never did get to see the end of the play, but I guess Micchi's
      little slasher heart was veritably bursting with glee. Very cute
      moment.

      And whilst that was very noble and tragic of you, Hagino, I hope you
      realise that widowing your girlfriend on the first day is rather poor
      form. I guess Mari and Tsubael will just have to console one another
      whilst your comrades trash the place.

      Still no obvious (to me) resolution over the issue of the woman on the
      shuttle in the bookend. I'd probably still vote for Micchi, but she's
      clearly gotten to know Tsubael and Azanael somehow in the interim.
      (And it's interesting that those two have somehow not been done for
      high treason...)
      .oO("somewhere on the web but i can 't tell you" )
    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 26, 2007
        Here's a long line of random pointless wittering, because Yahoo! is
        made of suck and likes to quote spoilers from further down in the
        message for no good reason whatsoever.

        On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:31:01 +0000, Adam Jones
        <adam@...> wrote:

        > Final episode. Spoilers. Duh. ;)
        >

        > SPOILER
        >

        > SPACE
        >

        > IS
        >

        > HERE
        >

        > Still no obvious (to me) resolution over the issue of the woman on the
        > shuttle in the bookend.

        Correction: we hear a "Kouzuki", so it is Michiko. Which makes sense.
        Interestingly, it looks like their shuttle is heading for some kind of
        rift towards the Arume homeworld, which makes sense given the
        parallel-world hints that people have translated from the official
        website. (I guess the Arume being alt-humans would explain the genetic
        compatibility thing. And makes for a handy lack of anatomical
        differences when writing the inevitable pornographic fanfics. ;)

        Oh, and the scene on the dock-side is still wonderful. The way Mari
        and Hagino use the lines from the play is a lovely touch. Poor Mari is
        really going to be a wreck once it all sinks in.
        .oO("> Very cool, but that doesn't precisely answer the question" )
      • Blah Blahn
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 26, 2007
          SPOILERS ARE AHEAD. YARGH I SAY, YARGH (this for good measure):

          I was just wondering. So Hagino dumps Tsubael off on an escape pod and commandeers a suicide mission into Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship. Couldn't Hagino have, you know, jumped off or escaped, or something, once the ship was on course? I mean, there was a high possibility she'd die by some explosion, get chewed up by the weird explody light things coming off Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship, or just died on impact into the ocean but you know, that's better than certain death by ramming into the ship. Then again, the end is kept ambiguous, so who knows. But hm.

          --
          Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/ )
          .oO("> Very cool, but that doesn't precisely answer the question"      )

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Royi Eltink
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 26, 2007
            > Final episode. Spoilers. Duh. ;)
            >

            > SPOILER
            >
            > SPACE
            >

            > IS
            >
            > HERE
            >
            > Well, /that/ was inevitable.
            >
            > So we never did get to see the end of the play, but I guess Micchi's
            > little slasher heart was veritably bursting with glee. Very cute
            > moment.
            >
            > And whilst that was very noble and tragic of you, Hagino, I hope you
            > realise that widowing your girlfriend on the first day is rather poor
            > form. I guess Mari and Tsubael will just have to console one another
            > whilst your comrades trash the place.

            It's called Noh.. ;)

          • Susan Davis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008

              > Here's a long line of random pointless wittering, because Yahoo! is
              > made of suck and likes to quote spoilers from further down in the
              > message for no good reason whatsoever.
              >

              > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:31:01 +0000, Adam Jones
              > <adam@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Final episode. Spoilers. Duh. ;)
              > >

              > > SPOILER
              > >

              > > SPACE
              > >

              > > IS
              > >

              > > HERE
              > >

              > Poor Mari is really going to be a wreck once it all sinks in.

              Yes... and what ever happened to her in the end? We know about Micchi
              and Tsubael and Azanael (who is alive... how?), but what did Mari do
              afterwards?

              Or is that a manga or (would that we could even hope) OAV topic?

              --
              Susan Davis <late@...>
            • kieliran
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@...> wrote:

                > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones <adam@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Here's a long line of random pointless wittering, because Yahoo! is
                > > made of suck and likes to quote spoilers from further down in the
                > > message for no good reason whatsoever.
                > >

                > > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:31:01 +0000, Adam Jones
                > > <adam@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Final episode. Spoilers. Duh. ;)
                > > >

                > > > SPOILER
                > > >

                > > > SPACE
                > > >

                > > > IS
                > > >

                > > > HERE
                > > >

                > > Poor Mari is really going to be a wreck once it all sinks in.
                >
                > Yes... and what ever happened to her in the end? We know about Micchi
                > and Tsubael and Azanael (who is alive... how?), but what did Mari do
                > afterwards?
                >
                > Or is that a manga or (would that we could even hope) OAV topic?
                >
                > --
                > Susan Davis <late@...>

                We do not get to know what happens to Mari, irritatingly enough. It's
                one of those frustrating finishes to a story that just hangs out there
                with my dangling participles. There is a manga that is being released
                just with the DVDs called "Blue Drop - Maiorita Tenshi" that picks up
                around 5 years after the Arume invasion. It's got the same "feel" as
                the original Blue Drop manga (thank god!) and isn't the same as the
                Blue Drop manga being serialised in Champion Red.

                K.
              • Rikaishi
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                  Spoler Space as required
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .

                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  .
                  Righto

                  My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from the pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out the window and being all philosophical.
                  It fits for a few reasons (more hints I guess). First, against all probability we have Tsubael, Azanael and Micchi gathered so why would Mari be missing? Second I can easily see how being the first human to have loved an Arume could lead her into a career as a diplomat and peacemaker. Third the very last shot of her looking out the window is a circular reference to the first time we see Mari in ep 1 and finally the voices don't fit.
                  Bah, just rewatched the scene and it's actually really obvious, the voice speaking as the camera pulls away from Diplomat-looking-out-the-window sounds like Tsubael's but is actually Kouzuki, and the Arume sounds like Azanael, leaving Tsubael as the only awol character.
                  Also, although I was watching a low-quality version, the "rift" looked to me like it may have actually been the Arume mothership they were docking with.

                  I was just wondering. So Hagino dumps Tsubael off on an escape pod and commandeers a suicide mission into Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship. Couldn't Hagino have, you know, jumped off or escaped, or something, once the ship was on course? I mean, there was a high possibility she'd die by some explosion, get chewed up by the weird explody light things coming off Genocide Mode Mastah Commandah Ship, or just died on impact into the ocean but you know, that's better than certain death by ramming into the ship.

                  Exactly what I was thinking, I'd rather have seen her try and fail to escape then just sit there and virtually suicide. Maybe it's a captain-going-down-with-her-ship thing, or the Arume love of self-sacrifice (interesting point - do you think the carpet bombers were real Arume or manufactured "booby" traps?) alternatively, maybe the producers just decided that having her calmly accept her fate would fit the overall mood better.

                  Ah well, it was a fun series, and an unquestionably yuri series. It had a few flaws, like the ending and weird production glitches with facial expressions in some scenes, but the characters and voice acting was top notch and overall I enjoyed the story. Even some of the flaws (like the ending) seem to have a certain purpose, eg very little is explained about the background politics, telepathy and Mari's importance, but I believe this was intentional since the series is focused on the girls and their relationships. Leaving out this information improves that focus, puts the audience in a similar position to Mari, who has no idea why all this is happening, and avoids the common mistake of immersion-jarring infodumps.
                • Joseph Saunders
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                    Maybe the whole 13 episode series was Mari's memories while she was gazing out the shuttle window episode 1 as the brown-haired adult woman going to formally meet the aliens on the earth governements behalf....

                    Rikaishi <rikashi@...> wrote:
                    Spoler Space as required
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .

                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rikaishi <rikashi@...> wrote:

                      I finally had a chance to see this. I think it was as good as we
                      could have expected.

                      > Spoler Space as required
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      >
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > .
                      > Righto
                      >
                      > My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from
                      the
                      > pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out
                      the
                      > window and being all philosophical.

                      Agreed.

                      The fact that there is negotiation at all going on, says to me that
                      it has to be Mari. She is clearly sympatico with the Arume.

                      The lack of more detailed info about the war, the politics, the whole
                      setup is consistent with the manga, which sort of summarizes
                      everything and moved on from there, with a little action in between
                      Yui macking on the girls. :-)

                      On the whole, I liked the series, and thought the ending stayed
                      mostly free from wallowing and maudlin, for which I applaud it. Noble
                      self-sacrifice was inevitable on Hagino's part, since she blamed
                      herself for the whole thing and she consistently acted like a 17 year
                      old, not a mature commander of a ship. Lucky for her, the ship itself
                      did the work of an entire crew...

                      It was good. I wish it had been longer.

                    • Kazu-kun
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008

                        2008/1/5, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...>:
                        >  > Spoler Space as required
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  >
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > .
                        >  > Righto
                        >  >
                        >  > My impression of the final scene was that Micchi was speaking from
                        >  the
                        >  > pilot's cabin of the shuttle, and Mari was the diplomat looking out
                        >  the
                        >  > window and being all philosophical.
                        >
                        >  Agreed.
                        >
                        >  The fact that there is negotiation at all going on, says to me that
                        >  it has to be Mari. She is clearly sympatico with the Arume.

                        Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the
                        shuttle's pilot, directly states that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.

                        Mari is nowhere to be seen at the end. Is that disappointing? Maybe, but that's how it is. Hope the "Maiorita Tenshi" manga (the one released along with the DVDs) will throw some light on Mari's whereabouts.

                        Kazu
                        PS: This is my first post here so Hello everybody!!

                      • Katie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008
                          > > > Spoiler Space
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > >
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > > > .
                          > Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the shuttle's pilot, directly states
                          > that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full
                          > power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.

                          This means that there is still some hope for a redemptive, healing
                          love affair between Azanael and Tsubael. I was really hoping for that
                          by the end of the series.

                          Katie
                        • Kazu-kun
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 5, 2008

                            2008/1/6, Katie <spacetart@...>:

                            > > >  > Spoiler Space
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  >
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > >  > .
                            >  > Mari wasn't there. Tsubael, who was the shuttle's pilot, directly states
                            >  > that Kouzuki (Micchi) is the ambassador plenipotentiary (i.e., with full
                            >  > power to make an agreement). The pilot of the escort craft was Azanael.
                            >  >
                            >
                            >  This means that there is still some hope for a redemptive, healing
                            >  love affair between Azanael and Tsubael. I was really hoping for that
                            >  by the end of the series.

                            Well, you can tell they still bicker all the time like they used to do during most of the series, but I also think there's potential for something there ^^.

                            Kazu