Re: Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 5, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <puni@...> wrote:

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@> wrote:

      > Ah, my beloved Goldie. How could I have forgotten? (Must have been
      > in anime mode, therefore oblivious to the horde of manga >brilliance).

      This makes me wonder how much the original antagonist character in the
      gunsmith cats OVA was based of Goldie. They do have similar faces and
      builds. (Then why couldn't they just have used Goldie!)

      > Utena being an easy example.
      > Whereas in the TV series, despite being one of the hallmark yuri
      > series and forever owning a spot in every yuri community in existence,
      > there are people who are still unconvinced (which is fair enough) that
      > Utena & Anthy have any romantic feelings towards each other. "They
      > obviously love each other, but would NEVER kiss in a romantic sense,
      > because there's no proof they're attracted to each other in that way."
      > Because nothing is seen nor mentioned onscreen, any yuri is strictly
      > open to interpretation.

      The director of Utena famously dislikes shipping characters off into
      definite relationships, so he deliberately left everything ambiguous
      with the Toga/Utena/Anthy thing.

      Then for the Movie he said, "Let us amplify the two best aspects of
      the TV series, that is, girls in love with other girls and cars, lots
      of cars."

      Anyone who has not should definitely listen to the directors
      commentary of the Utena movie as it explains how damn difficult it is
      to put all those roses in the background and still keep them interesting.
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2008
        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        From: rikashi@...
        Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:36:00 +1100
        Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

        > I don't think it was mentioned earlier, but Yoshida from HEN publicly outs herself, even using the word lesbian, in chapter 44. Of course, she gets rejected and immediately proposes to do 5 random guys at once like some twisted form of revenge-sex. Hey, it's HEN, waddya expect?

        Yes, and the few guys who step up to take her up on the offer are immediately attacked by all the girls. :-)

        The next chapter begins with everyone in school showing their overt support - and even moving seats around so Yoshida can sit next to Azumi in class. Of course it's not that easy. :-)

        Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!!
        http://biggestloser.msn.com/