Re: Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 4, 2007

      > Goldie - Gunsmith Cats

      Ah, my beloved Goldie. How could I have forgotten? (Must have been
      in anime mode, therefore oblivious to the horde of manga brilliance).

      As for the argument over definition... I suppose what *I* see as being
      "openly gay", is where a character is romantically attracted to girls,
      not wether they're comfortable with discussing said fact with
      friends/people who will never come into contact with said friends. In
      other words, people can't argue that "yes, they love each other, but
      they're not romantically inclined."

      Of course, that's not neccesarily my opinion post-this discussion, but
      it's what I meant when I made the original enquiry.

      Utena being an easy example. In the movie, they kiss. There. Case
      closed. The Utena character likes girls. Move on.

      Whereas in the TV series, despite being one of the hallmark yuri
      series and forever owning a spot in every yuri community in existence,
      there are people who are still unconvinced (which is fair enough) that
      Utena & Anthy have any romantic feelings towards each other. "They
      obviously love each other, but would NEVER kiss in a romantic sense,
      because there's no proof they're attracted to each other in that way."
      Because nothing is seen nor mentioned onscreen, any yuri is strictly
      open to interpretation.

      So yes, that was my original mindset. Shinobu's sexual attraction to
      girls is made plain and in public, but Nenene's feelings for Yomiko
      Readman are HER OWN GODDAMNED BUSINESS THANKYEW VERY MUCH. Sadly the
      price of that is people denying she's an awesome yuri character
      because there's just no evidence she's smitten.

      (and yes, Nenene denied she likes girls "that way" to her friends at
      the wedding dinner... but it's not whether other people know a
      character is gay; it's wether *WE* the viewers know.)

      "Which characters cannot have their romantic attraction to girls
      questioned?" Yeah, that's better.

      But Goldie is still awesome.

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2008
        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        From: rikashi@...
        Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:36:00 +1100
        Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

        > I don't think it was mentioned earlier, but Yoshida from HEN publicly outs herself, even using the word lesbian, in chapter 44. Of course, she gets rejected and immediately proposes to do 5 random guys at once like some twisted form of revenge-sex. Hey, it's HEN, waddya expect?

        Yes, and the few guys who step up to take her up on the offer are immediately attacked by all the girls. :-)

        The next chapter begins with everyone in school showing their overt support - and even moving seats around so Yoshida can sit next to Azumi in class. Of course it's not that easy. :-)

        Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!!
        http://biggestloser.msn.com/