Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 4, 2007
      How many openly gay wome... (yeah, who am I kidding?), how many openly
      gay girls are there in mainstream anime right now?

      One would think a quick peruse in the Yuri Shop at Yuricon would
      provide bountiful fodder, but actually there's quite a lot of "They're
      SO gay it's like totally obvious I don't care what no-one says"
      wishful thinking.

      Like Haibane Renmei: one of my absolute fave yuri series, yet I
      grudgingly accept that it's only yuri because I SAY SO DAMMIT.

      (...and I do. So there.)

      That being the case, I have to rule out awesome pairings like
      Yomiko/Nenene, and to a lesser extent Mirielle/Kirika. All the
      awesome make-outs happens "between paragraphs", so I can't list them
      as openly gay characters. Bizarrely, I'm forced to accept the
      fanservicy Shinobuden's title star to the list over the aforementioned
      series... because Shinobu's gay. Absolutely. Seriously, that girl is
      GAY. Okazu gay.

      Azumanga's Kaorin might also make the list. Nothing but squeaking and
      squeeling in the series... but come on; She denied the blinding rays
      of that big ball of fire in the sky just to get back to dreamland
      where she was carried off by Sakaki on horseback. Gay.

      Utena from the movie? Gay. From the TV series? Only in my head.
      Even then only in non-existant epilogue. Sorry, but "going to live in
      America" just ain't acceptable. We're talking onscreen gayness, not
      shadow girl silhouettes maybe-kissing during credits.

      Yes, Satou Sei is awesome. Stop shouting. Yes, it was loud enough in
      your head that it reverberated out of your skull, past oceans, and
      into my room. Feel proud. I accept her as the template to which all
      future stories must trace.

      Rio from Doki Doki? Haven't seen all the episodes, but I'd say yes.
      Confirmed, open and out. Yabba dabba boom.

      I haven't seen Kannazuki no Miko (nor do I plan to), but I know any
      talk about it bores me spitless... but enough art floods the Internet
      on it, so I'll presume there's openly gay girls there. Speaking of
      which; Mai HiMe's Shizuru.

      Damn, so many girls out there that are obviously lesbians, but I just
      can't list them since nothing proves it onscreen. Mikan from Gakuen
      Alice is a prime example of being born gay, but if someone can spin it
      as just having a BFF, I can't include her. *sigh*...

      Any others?

      Kisses XXOOXX
      Jen
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 17, 2008
        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        From: rikashi@...
        Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:36:00 +1100
        Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Yuri characters: open, out and proud.

        > I don't think it was mentioned earlier, but Yoshida from HEN publicly outs herself, even using the word lesbian, in chapter 44. Of course, she gets rejected and immediately proposes to do 5 random guys at once like some twisted form of revenge-sex. Hey, it's HEN, waddya expect?

        Yes, and the few guys who step up to take her up on the offer are immediately attacked by all the girls. :-)

        The next chapter begins with everyone in school showing their overt support - and even moving seats around so Yoshida can sit next to Azumi in class. Of course it's not that easy. :-)

        Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser!!
        http://biggestloser.msn.com/