Re: [Yuricon] Re: Utena and Academics

  • mantennashowers@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
      There were a set of characters, all artificial beings created through alchemy, named after each of the deadly sins. I'm more inclined to think that reference comes from the history of alchemy, from when people mentioned Christian and Greco-Roman theological concepts in passing, rather than a specifically theological reference- more rooted in Christopher Marlowe's Faust.

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
        Zyl,

        Interesting recommendation. I take it you must be affiliated to the
        LSE, because Millennium is infamous for publishing anything remotely
        associated with IR, but with enough post-modern, post-strucutral 'far
        out there' elements to piss off shallow American
        positivists/empiricists. Good thing that it's student-published, too,
        so I suppose there is an article out there called "Images of Alterity
        in Anime: the Japanese lens of new Occidentalism" or something to
        that effect. I would write it, if I had the time and/or inclination.

        Regards,
        MdG

        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Zyl <zylelt@...> wrote:

        > Haruchin,
        >
        > There are quite a few academics in the UK who have done work with a
        > anime/manga slant, though not from a theological angle:
        >
        > Dr Sharon Kinsella - http://www.kinsellaresearch.com/ (feminism)
        > Dr Roger Sabin - http://www.shef.ac.uk/ibds/sabin.htm (media and
        > cultural studies)
        > Dr Nicola Liscutin - http://www.soas.ac.uk/events/event37645.html
        (nationalism)

        > Further afield, there's of course Dr Matt Thorn -
        > http://www.matt-thorn.com/ (cultural anthropology)
        >
        > As for publication venues, if you can weave in an international
        angle
        > to it, you can consider:
        >
        > Millennium: Journal of International Studies (http://www.e-
        millennium.ac)
        > see their 2001 special issue on aesthetics and International
        Relations:

        http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mpg/mjis/2001/00000030/00000003

        > as well as their 2000 special issue on religion and IR:

        http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mpg/mjis/2000/00000029/00000003;
        jsessionid=3f6ua74jajfdl.henrietta

        > Cheers,
        > Zyl
        >

        > On Dec 1, 2007 2:54 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > ________________________________
        > > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: haruchin@...
        > > Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:54:46 +0000
        > > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: Utena and Academics
        > >

        > > > Thanks very much for the URL, Crimson. I'll definitely check
        that site
        > > out.
        > >

        > > You also may want to join the anime-manga research ML :
        right now
        > > and I can't confirm.) This groups is engaged in academic research
        and
        > > dialogue about anime and manga on many levels.
        > >

        > > Cheers,
        > >
        > > Erica
        > >
        > > Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated."
        > > http://www.yuricon.org
        > > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com
        > >
        > > "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net
        > > The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution.blogspot.com
        > >

        > > ________________________________
        > > Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

      • Shane
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2007
          They are in fact the major enemy for the heros. And as
          the title suggest it is deep in the theories, beliefs,
          and symbolism that come with Alchemy. There is also
          many religious themes in use with the Ishvalans
          (Ishbalans?, who happen to be a race of desert people
          that believe in monotheism and think alchemist are
          traitors against Ishbala, their god. If you read the
          manga then the series brings in a very Chinese type of
          people call the Xing. We really haven't seen enough of
          them yet to know what their religion is if they have
          one but their Alchemy has different principals then
          the other alchemy shown in the series.

          Back to the anime and the resulting movie there are
          many historical yet alternate reality themes in the
          show and the government of the main character's is a
          fascism with their leader being called Fuhrer King
          Bradley.

          This makes for a series that not only has religious
          undertones but moral and political as well.

          ~Shane

          --- Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:

          > I faintly believe (I never watched the whole thing)
          > that the Seven Deadly
          > Sins were characters in Full Metal Alchemist.
          >
          > Ellen Rose

          Be a better pen pal.