Go-to series?

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
      In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
      attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!

      You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What anime
      or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean entertainment
      directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?

      For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For manga, I
      find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
      melodramatic and Yuri. :-)

      Who's next?

    • crimsonlotus20
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
        Depends on how pretentious I'm feeling. If I'm in an especially smug
        mood, "Ergo Proxy" (did I mention how exceptional this is? Like
        Evangelion, only more atmospheric and, IMHO, with more substance).
        does the trick, otherwise "Only Yesterday" (Omohide Poro Poro) and
        just about anything by Miyazaki (Nausicaa especially).

        Regards,
        MdG

        > In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
        > attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!
        >
        > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What
        anime
        > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean
        entertainment
        > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
        >
        > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For
        manga, I
        > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
        > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
        >
        > Who's next?

      • sarcastic_weasel
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
          My go-to series is Marimite. For some reason, I find it very relaxing.
          I'm not sure I can put a finger on why, it just is. I guess it's
          because no matter what happens, in the end, everyone works things out
          over some nice hot tea. No explosions, no powering up to over 9000, no
          yelling or describing their invincible techniques.

          The two Aria series are also in that same vein. It's non-demanding
          viewing.

          This season, I like Minami-ke for giggles, but that's not yuri. It
          reminds me of lots of fights with my sister when I was that age.

          Sketchbook Full Color's [sic] is a cute series as well. It's sort of
          like this season's Hidamari Sketch, I guess, which was last season's
          Pani Poni Dash? Hmm... Shaft animes tend to all blend into each other.

          Manga-wise, I'll read just about anything, although I'm starting to
          read more and more in Japanese for two reasons: it's cheaper, and it
          helps me with my Japanese. Oh, and I can avoid crummy translations
          that butcher the original work, too. I guess that's three, huh? Most
          of the manga I read is non-yuri, except for Hayate X Blade. I've been
          reading the Minami-ke and Sketchbook manga because you probably won't
          see it over here anytime soon. Oh, and I have a new copy of Kurosagi
          Corpse Deliver Service to read.

          Gah, sorry. Long post.

          > In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
          > attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!
          >
          > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What anime
          > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean entertainment
          > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
          >
          > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For manga, I
          > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
          > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
          >
          > Who's next?

        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
            I turn to fanfiction.

            Ellen Rose

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007

              Wow I have to Pick one anime? (Thinks for 12 yrs) Well I'm a big fan of KashiMashi.
              Kashimashi was the anime that made be into a Full Yuri fan-boy and got me into a whole
              new world of anime. On Jan 8 will be the 1yr anniversy of when i first saw kashimashi ep 1
              and 5 min after watching it downloading the full intro theem on my MP3 player. i still hear
              the intro on almost daily thing and still get over joyed at the Ova ep 13.

              > In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
              > attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!
              >
              > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What anime
              > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean entertainment
              > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
              >
              > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For manga, I
              > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
              > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
              >
              > Who's next?

            • Nora Wainwright

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                  I tend to go to Stellvia, Bubblegum Crisis, or Sailor
                  Moon for anime. For Manga anything on my shelfs tend
                  to be fair game though Ouran High School Host Club is
                  better for brainless reading but usually I turn to fan
                  fiction rather then manga.

                  ~Shane

                  --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                  > In the absence of anything particularly special to
                  > capture our
                  > attention this season, let's talk about past
                  > favorites!
                  >
                  > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to
                  > think much. What anime
                  > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to
                  > bean entertainment
                  > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
                  >
                  > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or
                  > Patlabor. For manga, I
                  > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's
                  > short,
                  > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
                  >
                  > Who's next?

                  Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007

                    To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    From: newain@...
                    Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:45:04 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Go-to series?

                    I go straight to Azumanga Daioh for anime... and Yotsuba!& for manga. They never fail to better my day.
                    If I'm in a mood for more action.. Black Lagoon.
                    ~ Nora

                    Yostubato is excellent downtime reading. I just finished re-reading the first seven volumes, and it's always a series I look forward to in Dengeki Daioh. It amazes me that I enjoy it, considering my well-known antipathy for children. OTOH, Asagi is evil, so.... ;-)

                    Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!
                  • Carmen DiProspero
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                      As for anime; Girls High, Kashimashi, Tsubasa Resevoir
                      Chronicle, Saint Tail, Marmalade Boy, and season 2 of
                      Super GALS! (depending on my mood).

                      As for manga.....I only have one Stainless Night
                      manga.

                      Could live action count? My current faves are Cutey
                      Honey and Linda! Linda! Linda!

                      Carmen ^_^

                      Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Alkmaion
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Hmmm....anime....none...

                        Manga:
                        Gothic Sports(German)
                        Gals!
                        Ranma

                        for thorough reading and developing plot lines

                        for relaxing
                        Angel Sanctuary
                        Vampire Miyu
                        God Child
                        Eden-It´s an Endless World

                        for different moods
                        everything else I guess

                        Alkmaion
                        > In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
                        > attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!
                        >
                        > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What
                        anime
                        > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean
                        entertainment
                        > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
                        >
                        > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For
                        manga, I
                        > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
                        > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
                        >
                        > Who's next?

                      • Haruchin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Good question!

                          For anime it's Haibane Renmei first and foremost. I love that series on so many levels, and it's always the thing I turn to when I'm feeling tired or down. Other than that it would be Fruits Basket, Aria, Cardcaptor Sakura, Azumanga or Marimite probably on equal levels. They each do different things to cheer me up, but they're all definitely good for the happys. :)

                          Manga-wise... Fruits Basket again, but CCS, Azumanga and Ichigo Mashimaro come in close seconds. If looking at the pictures counts, then definitely Hayate x Blade. However to read that one properly takes considerable brain power (damn my poor Japanese!), so if I'm knackered it's always a case of scanning the meaning and just getting the story from the visuals.

                          Interesting seeing people's old comfortable favourites! I always think that people's old watched and rewatched series say more about them as an anime fan than anything else. Nice view into each of our own personal fandoms!

                          Haru

                          Can you guess the film? Search Charades!
                        • Resop
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                            Since they have made a series of musicals featuring the characters from Sailor
                            Moon, and they have made a rock opera about the Soul Society Arc of Bleach, now
                            that Maria-sama has gotten a Pizza Hut tie in, can we even dream of a musical
                            version of Maria-sama ga Miteru?

                            Craig
                          • Shane
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                              Don't forget Utena has a musical too. as does Prince
                              of Tennis...

                              --- Resop <resop2@...> wrote:

                              > Since they have made a series of musicals featuring
                              > the characters from Sailor
                              > Moon, and they have made a rock opera about the Soul
                              > Society Arc of Bleach, now
                              > that Maria-sama has gotten a Pizza Hut tie in, can
                              > we even dream of a musical
                              > version of Maria-sama ga Miteru?
                              >
                              > Craig

                              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

                                > Don't forget Utena has a musical too. as does Prince
                                > of Tennis...

                                But as anyone who has ever seen the Utena musical knows, forgetting it
                                ever existed is the best possible chance at sanity. :-)

                                ... I can still hear the singing and it still hurts....

                              • Shane
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                  I admit the actress for Utena sucked greatly but I
                                  thought the student council was pretty good and fans
                                  of Seramuy (Sailor Moon musical) Kinda find it amusing
                                  that the person who played Miki also played Ami.

                                  --- atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane
                                  > <haruka_clone@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Don't forget Utena has a musical too. as does
                                  > Prince
                                  > > of Tennis...
                                  >
                                  > But as anyone who has ever seen the Utena musical
                                  > knows, forgetting it
                                  > ever existed is the best possible chance at sanity.
                                  > :-)
                                  >
                                  > ... I can still hear the singing and it still
                                  > hurts....

                                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                    I admit this is a lot of titles, but for me, the series I love to
                                    revisit include Haibane Renmei(#1), Serial Experiments Lain, Burst
                                    Angel, Tenchi Muyo, FLCL, Battle Athletes, the Utena movie, ROD,
                                    Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and the Ghost in the Shell movies, all for
                                    various different reasons; my tastes are just varied. Now I'm adding
                                    Haruhi Suzumiya, Ergo Proxy and Kashimashi to the list. It may sound
                                    like I have a lot of free time on my hands but I really don't; all
                                    these titles are just here for when I need them.
                                    As for manga, the one I see myself reading again would be
                                    Evangelion: Angelic Days, while the one manga I religiously read once
                                    every year is Angel/Dust, a deceptively simple one-shot that has so
                                    much in it (the beautiful angelic imagery helps)--Pachy
                                  • Laquandus Marion
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                      Time for de-lurking for me what type anime I tend to watch when I
                                      have time. Mai-Hime, Genshiken, Burst Angel, Devilman Lady, Trinity
                                      Blood. Manga I usual read Excel Saga for some brainless fun,
                                      Genshiken, Angel Sanctuary and Aoi House(It a webcomic) and sometime
                                      playing video games

                                      > In the absence of anything particularly special to capture our
                                      > attention this season, let's talk about past favorites!
                                      >
                                      > You're home, bored, maybe a little too tired to think much. What
                                      anime
                                      > or manga series do you reach out to (Yuri or not) to bean
                                      entertainment
                                      > directly to the pleasure centers of your brain?
                                      >
                                      > For anime, I frequently reach for Sailor Moon or Patlabor. For
                                      manga, I
                                      > find myself often grabbing "Moonlight Flowers." It's short,
                                      > melodramatic and Yuri. :-)
                                      >
                                      > Who's next?

                                    • Sean Gaffney
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                        Anime: Urusei Yatsura (always), Patlabor, Aria, The Irresponsible Captain
                                        Tylor.

                                        Manga: Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh, Yotsuba&!, One Piece, Hayate the
                                        Combat Butler, Mahou Sensei Negima.

                                        --SG
                                      • Chalcahuite
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                          Hmm, I thought about for quite a bit today and I've come to the
                                          conclusion that I don't have any go to Anime or Manga. I'll obsess
                                          about a series while it's fresh and I may watch it a couple of times
                                          during the obsession period, but after the spark is gone, I may come
                                          back to it only after a a great while.
                                          Which means I'm constantly searching something new to obsess over. LOL.

                                          -==-
                                          Serge
                                          "Visually Impressive!" -- Precocious Curmudgeon
                                          http://ximatl.blogspot.com
                                          http://albikal.blogspot.com
                                        • Carrie Robertson

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 30, 2007
                                              Maison Ikkoku and Hana Yori Dango are two series that i always find myself watching/reading when I need a boost. I love Godai and how he ends up overcoming all odds and the same goes for tsukushi what can I say its always the underdogs for me. But if your asking about yuri anime that would be utena and sailor moon hands down
                                              Ruka

                                            • Johann Chua
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
                                                Turns out my comic shop still had Kimagure Orange Road TV Vols. 2-11.
                                                Most of their DVDs were put in storage when they started turning the
                                                store into a children's wear outlet. Bought Vol. 2 last week. Think I
                                                can still get Vol. 12 online factory-sealed, but I'll have to settle
                                                for used with Vol. 1. In other words, there goes my DVD budget for the
                                                next few months. I can pick up more newer and in-print titles later
                                                on.
                                              • samantha luquin