RE: [Yuricon] Notes on the 18th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel, Part 5

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2007
      > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: adam@...
      > Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:40:44 +0100
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Notes on the 18th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel, Part 5
      >
      > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:51:16 -0000
      > "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      > (Thanks again for translating all of this. It's good to know that
      > Kanako is utterly nutso for no good reason whatsoever...

      You don't think that that's a good reason? I sure do.

      >Touko, of
      > course, is still as tsundere as all get out.)

      And it makes her kind of boring, honestly. I'm a little tired of the act. I keep waiting for her to develop a real personality. But I'm going to have to wait about another 10 books or so. UGH.

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 2007
        On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:12:19 -0400
        Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        > > Kanako is utterly nutso for no good reason whatsoever...
        > You don't think that that's a good reason? I sure do.

        That the senior she had a crush on ran off with her dad? I can see
        Kanako being upset at one or both of them, but it's a bit of a stretch
        from there to "all men are monsters". Or did I miss something?

        Given her attitude I was rather (perhaps foolishly given the tone of
        the novels) expecting her father to have done something very nasty (or
        at least much nastier) to her or her mother.
        .oO("Ahhhaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!" )
      • Sean Gaffney
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 27, 2007
          On 27 Oct 2007 at 13:26, Adam Jones wrote:

          > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:12:19 -0400
          > Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
          >
          > > > Kanako is utterly nutso for no good reason whatsoever...
          > > You don't think that that's a good reason? I sure do.
          >
          > That the senior she had a crush on ran off with her dad? I can see
          > Kanako being upset at one or both of them, but it's a bit of a stretch
          > from there to "all men are monsters". Or did I miss something?

          Pregnant 16-year-old?

          --SG
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 27, 2007

            > That the senior she had a crush on ran off with her dad? I can see
            > Kanako being upset at one or both of them, but it's a bit of a
            stretch
            > from there to "all men are monsters". Or did I miss something?

            You missed something.

            First of all, the sempai was 16 when she and Kanako's father began
            their relationship, and Kanako was 14, which is hardly the most
            rational time of one's life.

            But you missed the bit where Kanako thought that it was *against
            Yuuko's will*.

            What she thought was that her father molested, perhaps raped Yuuko,
            her beloved sempai, forcing her to leave school and abandon a dream
            of playing professional basketball.

            Yuuko explains that it was not that at all, so Kanako is able to let
            it go - pretty quickly too, considering that she'd held the grudge,
            mistaken as it was, for almost two years. (And there's still the
            issue that her father is sleeping with a 16 year old... Even if Dad
            was young when he fathered Kanako, say 16, he would be 30. I don't
            know about anyone else, but *I* certainly have some problems with
            that.)

            > Given her attitude I was rather (perhaps foolishly given the tone of
            > the novels) expecting her father to have done something very nasty
            (or
            > at least much nastier) to her or her mother.

            Personally, I think that thinking that your father slept with a girl
            only a few years older than you against her will is pretty nasty.

            The other thing that story explains is her tendency to overreact -
            she obviously inherits that from her mother. And her mother had a
            tendency to badmouth her father (and I bet, men in general,) in
            particular, which contributed to her attitude.

          • rovdru2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2007

> [...]
              >
              > "Looks like you're in the middle of something, huh."
              >
              > "Excuse me. I'm very pleased that you have come, but I am running
              > around."
              >
              > "Please don't worry. We also have some things to do. ...We shall
              > meet again afterwards."
              >
              > Sei-sama repeated, "We have something to do?" but Youko-sama only
              > smiled. Taking Sei's hand, she left the classroom.
              >
              > Sachiko-sama, Kanako-chan and Yumi; the three headed down the
              > hallway, when they could see Touko-chan a little in front of them.
              >
              > "Tou..."
              >
              > Yumi lifted her hand, about to call out, when Touko-chan abruptly
              > turned her head to one side and ran off.
              >
              > (I thought she was looking this way. But I guess she didn't notice.)
              >
              > Because that way connected with the gymnasium, maybe she was just
              > rushing off to begin preparing for "Wakakusa Monogatari." Yumi
              > thought this, watching as Touko-chan's form became smaller.
              >
              > "A little while ago, I was called by Hoshina-sensei." Sachiko-sama
              > said as they walked.
              >
              > "She told me that my father came to the Infirmary. Therefore, I was
              > told to go meet him. Those words were transmitted to me from the
              > Health staffer who came to get me. Don't you think that's strange?
              >
              > "Eh? Tooru-ojisama is here?" Yumi asked. If that was so, then was
              > Sayako-obasama here too? But, Sachiko-sama was saying something
              > different.
              >
              > "My father decided that he had to go to New York suddenly the day
              > before yesterday, I told her, he left from Narita Airport yesterday
              > afternoon."
              >
              > From Narita to New York, how long does that take, Yumi wondered. If
              > he turned right around and came back, was there any possibility
              that
              > he could be here?
              >
              > "Because I thought that there must be some mistake, I went to the
              > Infirmary to see. As I expected, it was the wrong person. That
              > person was not my father."
              >
              > "But, then why did they call you?"
              >
              > "Hoshina-sensei made a mistaken assumption. That person who wanted
              > to meet his daughter had a ticket with my name on the reverse,
              which
              > is where the misunderstanding occurred.
              >
              > "Eh-."
              >
              > For every problem answered there was a new puzzle. Why was another
              > student's father holding one of Sachiko-sama's tickets? Just so,
              > Sachiko-sama smiled.
              >
              > "I think that this time, I'm going to have to put the fear of God
              > into Suguru-san."
              >
              > "Suguru-san, you say. So the criminal is Kashiwagi-san!?"
              >
              > "Yes."
              >
              > It appears that, with his usual characteristic, he had transferred
              > ticket without permission. Really, what had he done?
              >
              > "I was a little surprised. While Hoshina-sensei was waiting in
              front
              > of the Infirmary, she said that my real little sister had come to
              > talk. I thought it might be Yumi, but I was told that it was not.
              If
> [...]
              > of ting makes a person sob in lament. I think that two years
              younger
              > than me Kanako-chan is very cute. Cute like a real little sister to
              > me. But, idiot that I am, more than I can express, I fell in love
              > with your father."
              >
              > "Fell in love?" Kanako-chan repeated these words, as if they were
              in
              > a mysterious language.
              >
              > "Yes. Fell in love. Therefore, Please forgive your father, since
              > this is my fault." Yuuko-san took one deep breath.
              >
              > "At that time, it was necessary to run away without saying
              anything.
              > Kanako-chan's father was so wonderful, I fell in love. Even if you
              > don't forgive me, even if you hate me, I can't not tell you
              anymore."

              > And then she embraced Kanako-chan. "I'm sorry, Kanako-chan."
              >
              > "Yuuko-sempai, Yuuko-sempai." The tall Kanako-chan held the short
              > Yuuko-san and cried.
              >
              > Sob, sob, sniffle sniffle. While the two held each other, the other
              > five women quietly wiped tears from their cheeks.
              >
              > "Wahhh---" Suddenly, the sound came pouring out, as if from the
              > depths, ringing in the Infirmary. Watching this, Kanako-s father
              > stood up to his full height, tears flowing.
              >
              > Wow. A full-grown man crying like a child. A little surprised, Yumi
              > found tears being pulled from her.
              >
              > "Father, stop, it's unbecoming."
              >
              > "Mm, mm. You're right." Kanako-chan's father agreed, trying
              > desperately to smile. But them his tearful voice
              > continued. "Uwaaaaah"
              >
              > But, why? Kanako-chan's father was barely crying. So---.
              >
              > Everyone looked at each other.
              >
              > "This is no good, I forgot." Kanako-chan's father rushed over to
              the
              > screen. And the other women around clearly seemed by the looks on
              > their faces to have some understanding.
              >
              > "Is there someone in the bed?"
              >
              > Yumi, who didn't have any understanding, asked the question of no
              > one in particular, but soon had the answer in front of her eyes,
              > when it came out to the side of the screen. Kanako-chan's father
              > appeared with a not quite one-year-old baby in his arms.
              >

              > "We came here earlier to change her diaper but, it made her feel
              > pleasant, so she fell asleep. Really, you scared Father, waking up
              > crying."
              >
              > Now that Father held the baby, it calmed down, and with tears still
              > streaming down its cheeks, it smiled brightly. It somehow resembled
              > Kanako-chan.
              >
              > "Chikako. Spelled like 'next child'." (E: And Yumi thinks that
              *she*
              > has pathetic naming sense?)
              >
              > "Chikako." As she said the name, Kanako-chan hesitantly touched the
              > face of her own sister.
              >
              > "Go on and hold her." Yuuko-san took Chikako from her father,
              > holding her out to Kanko-chan.
              >
              > "Impossible."
              >
              > "It's all right. Her neck is soft, so she can't hold herself up.
              You
              > understand, just support her with your hand."
              >
              > As Kanako-chan timidly presented her hands, Yumi felt a tap on her
              > shoulder. Looking up, Sachiko-sama's eyes signaled, "Let's go."
              > Youko-sama, Sei-sama and Eiko-sempai had already left the
              Infirmary.
              > Those who were not part of the family wanted to give those four
              some
              > room.
              >
              > Mm, that's nice. Thinking that, Yumi left the Infirmary behind her.
              >
              > Holding the door, she turned toward a completely different world.
              In
              > the hallway, students and guests were, naturally, going this way
              and
              > coming that way. Right. Today was the school festival.
              >
              > "Okay then. Where are we headed?" Sei-sama gave an extended nod.
              >
              > "It's still about an hour and a half before—" Youko-sama muttered,
              > trying to pull herself together.
              >
              > "Oh no. 'Wakakusa Monogatari'!"
              >
              > Um, from the Infirmary it was easy to get to the gymnasium. In the
              > middle of her small fit of panic, Sachiko-sama pointed directly
              > ahead down the hall, which they faced, as she said, "Go ahead of
              us.
              > We'll follow after you."
              >
              > Onee-sama looked like a statue of an administrator she thought
              > fondly, as she answered "Yes."
              >
              > "Ah, Eiko-sensei. Please tell Kanako-chan not to be late for
              > the "Torikaebaya Monogatari." Well then."
              >
              > Ahead of the teachers and the Student Council President, Yumi ran
              > down the hall. Which is to say, that because of the large amount of
              > people, she really couldn't go with speed.
              >
              > "Why is Yumi-chan is such a rush?" From behind, she could hear
              Youko-
> [...]
              this,
              > the people thought.
              >
              > Right, where else had Yumi seen this kind of scene? Yumi thought
              > about it as she ran. An old movie in which the lead ran away from
              > the church with his bride. Although she couldn't see the scene
              > properly, it was famous, she knew.
              >
              > "Something about a promise."
              >
              > And, although she wore a sulky expression, Eimi didn't let go, and
              > returned the grip on her hand with a squeeze.
              >

              > 4
              >

              > The "Yamayurikai edition of 'Torikaebaya Monogatari'" came to a
              > close with great chaos and loud laughter.
              >
              > There was the comic performance by the Yakushiji brothers. Who
              > repeatedly committed errors in where they were supposed to stand on
              > the actual day. But those two were even more laugh inducing when,
              > staff and actors went to open the curtains with all their might
              > before anyone might notice, Sachiko-sama cleverly had them switch
              > all their lines to fit the situation, and the skillful portrayal by
              > the Fukuzawa siblings became unskillful as they had to launch
              > themselves across the stage to make adjustments.
              >
              > Because of that, as their appearance on stage drew near, the two
              > lead actors went on stage at something resembling a dash, after
              > which, the scene diverged considerably from what they had practiced
              > and kept on doing so.
              >
              > In that case, the origin of the mayhem, the Yakushijis, to the very
              > end were unable to be told apart.
              >
              > "In your appearance scene, why did you two hurry so much?"
              >
              > "Now that you mention it, Yuukichi seemed out of breath."
              >
              > "…"
              >
              > What was with that envious personality? Excepting the Yakushiji
              > brothers, everyone there thought so. But, people laughed at them
              > more than anyone else, just for being in existence. It can't be
              > helped, please forgive them.
              >
              > After that, Prime Minister Yoshino-san trampled Princess Yuuki's
              > skirt heavily, causing him to drop to the floor on his hands and
              > knees.
              >
              > And somewhere in the middle of the movement, something was thrown
              > with a noise, so that Mikado Shimako-san, who was divided from them
              > by a screen, finally stood up to see what was happening.
              >
              > The Minister of the Right's mother, Takada-kun, kept saying "Mama
              > is" for all his lines instead of "Mother," (since that was what was
              > probably said in his family,) (E: He was saying "Mama" instead
              > of "Haha") so the Minister of the Right's father, Touko-chan,
              > couldn't really help it when she began to misrepresent "Papa"
              > for "Father" in an adlib --that kind of thing.
              >
              > Well, although many things happened, and overall it was cluttered,
              > and the audience didn't know whether it was a gag or was supposed
              > be happening, they watched it laughing. The parents who had come to
              > see their sons and daughters on the stage said so, so there was no
              > mistake.
              >
              > Kanako-chan, in accordance with the rest of 'Torikaebaya
              Monogatari'
              > didn't say her line "What beautiful children" well at all, but her
              > expression looked to be a little bit brighter than any time
              > previously. But it might just have been Yumi's wishful thinking,
              > perhaps.
              >
              > After wards, she did not ask about what the three of them had
              talked
              > about. But, when they were making up in the changing room, Kanako-
              > chan went to Noriko-chan and "I handed over the ticket properly"
              > there was a nice feeling about it, even if she was interpreting
              this
              > without permission.
              >
              > "Hey, there's a call for encore." Rei-sama's voice drew everyone
              > back out to the stage.
              >
              > Kanako-chan's father and Yuuko-san and Chikako-chan were watching
              > this play from somewhere which was nice, she thought, and as she
              did
              > so, in response to the applause that rang out, Yumi took her place
              > in the spotlight and took a deep bow.
              >

              > 5
              >
              > While the sound of crackling was in front of them, the flames
              > reached up towards the heavens.
              >
              > For something that was so long in the planning, the day of the
              > school festival would soon be over and become another yesterday.
              Now
              > that you mention it.
              >
              > Looking back, it had been a very dense day or, you might say, a
              full
              > day.
              >
              > The contents of the day had been tightly packed, the sun had grown
              > dark, one reaches all at once for a reaction, and although the
              words
              > might be difficult, it was something like loneliness, or severed,
              > something serious, one had to think.
              >
              > In the middle of the grounds was the annual traditional bonfire.
              >
              > She searched for the accordion she could hear. Someone singing with
              > a guitar. A sorrowful mandolin.
              >
              > In the area around the fire, girls danced in a circle. There, the
              > festival wasn't over yet. Therefore, definitely, Yumi wanted to be
              > inside that ring.
              >
              > She was sitting on the embankment outside the track, absent-
              mindedly
              > watching the flames of the bonfire swaying, from a distance.
              >
              > What am I doing? What I want to do, she thought, even thought she
              > wasn't, now.
              >
              > "There you are, alone every year for the evening after festival."
              > Tapping her on the shoulder so that she looked back, stood Sachiko-
              > sama.
              >
              > "...Every year, you say. Unexpectedly, both last year and this year
              > were heavy."
              >
              > "That's true. Then, what on earth are you doing?"
              >
              > "It's fading into twilight." She was chewing well on that feeling
              of
              > after-festival loneliness.
              >
              > "But the time for twilight has already passed." Sachiko-sama said
              > calmly, smoothing her skirt pleats over her knees. Apparently, she
              > was accompanying her.
              >
              > "Then, every year Onee-sama has to locate me."
              >
              > "Am I interrupting?"
              >
              > "No." Yumi shook her head. If it's Sachiko-sama, then fine. If it
              > were not Sachiko-sama, then it would be no good.
              >
              > The festival was over, the two of them watching the fire together,
              > without a word. Although that was all, her heart was pounding hard.
              >
              > At the festival, they had had tea at Sakuratei, had a memorial
              > picture taken by the photography club, played in the "Fujimatsu
              > Village, " walked around and looked at many classes and clubs,
              until
              > they felt full. It was a kind of bliss.
              >
              > It was like she wanted to be this way for a long time. However, she
              > knew that that wasn't a wish that could be fulfilled.
              >
              > As the night deepened, people started heading home. This moment was
              > being cut off, and that could not be stopped.
              >
              > Sachiko-sama broke the silence. "Yumi."
              >
              > "Y, yes." Her heart leapt, and her shoulders moved up and down.
              >
              > "What was that? Did I startle you?"
              >
              > "No."
              >
              > "I was thinking that I'd like to know how the first-year Tsubaki
              > class was. Touko-chan was your tour guide, wasn't she?"
              >
              > "Ah, that was really wonderful."
              >
              > Taking a hint from first-year Tsubaki's class's Noriko-chan's
              Buddha
              > statue mania, "Different religions similar sky" the exhibit was
              > called, with the publishing of a report on the commonalities of
              > Buddhism and Christianity.
              >
              > "But, Touko-chan told me, more than Noriko-chan, it was their other
              > classmates who became passionate about it. Afterwards, the
              > discussion got so heated that an argument broke out, but in the
              end,
              > it was really nice. The families and the teachers were all talking
              > about it.
              >
              > "I see. I wonder if I should have gone and seen it."
              >
              > "Eh, you didn't go?" When they were walking around the festival,
              the
              > absolutely could have gone to the first-year Tsubaki class, she
              > thought.
              >
              > "But, there was no way I had time to see everything. I think that
              > it's fine that Yumi was able to see it." Sachiko-sama said whole-
              > heartedly.
              >
              > "Eh" Wah, this was bad. Something as trifling as this conversation
              > was threatening to bring on tears. Yumi searched for words,
              > confusedly. "Which reminds me, at the entrance there was a place to
              > make a "jyuzurio" from beads, you'll be able to tell that Touko-
              chan
              > made it right away. Look." (E: "Jyuzurio" is taken from the
              > words "jyuzu" a Buddhist rosary, and "rosario" the Japanese
              > pronunciation of rosary, taken, incidentally, from the Portuguese.)
              >
              > Dropping her wrist so the bracelet came out, she held it out to
              Onee-
> [...]
              of
              > this fun year would be a fun thing as well, and next year's
              festival
              > day might become painful. Therefore--
              >
              > But, that wasn't what Onee-sama was saying. When she graduated, she
              > would be unhappy. Even if she said that, it would only embarrass
              > Onee-sama.
              >
              > "Yumi, I..."
              >
              > "Yes."
              >
              > "Tonight, especially, I didn't intend to do anything." Sachiko-sama
              > admitted slowly, like a child who has been admonished. "It's not
              > that I forgot. Like your birthday, or White Day, when I had thought
              > about doing something, but somehow never managed to do anything, I
              > mean to say that this is different. Do you understand?"
              >
              > Yumi shook her head back and forth.
              >
              > "I mean that, for me, today isn't the only special day."
              >
              > Today isn't the only special day. --Why did those words glitter so?
              >
              > "But, tomorrow and the day after, nothing will change that Yumi is
              > my little sister, until now and from now on. Why, should we limit
              it
              > to only one year? For me, today isn't a special day; nothing has
              > changed since yesterday, in one day."
              >
              > "Ah..."
              >
              > Sachiko-sama's words fell sparkling into Yumi's heart. Since she
              > first accepted it, from then until now, she had known what she
              > wanted most.
              >
              > "I wonder if you can understand the meaning of what I say."
              >
              > Yumi nodded hugely this time. "The scales have peeled off my eyes,
              > and tears are coming out."
              >
              > "Silly."
              >
              > What should she do, the tears wouldn't stop.
              >
              > Happiness, sadness, remoteness, thankfulness, love, loneliness,
              > many, many feelings mixed together, and which of these the tears
              > were she didn't know, but they came one after the other.
              >
              > Yumi clung to Sachiko-sama.
              >
              > Because Sachiko had begun to cry, there was no way she could hold
              > back. Not to say that it was Onee-sama's fault. She didn't mind.
              >
              > Yumi was Sachiko-sama's only little sister. Therefore, it was fine.
              > She monopolized her. Keeping her distance from everyone else.
              >
              > After holding her for a little while, Sachiko-sama separated their
              > bodies, and looked Yumi straight in the face.
              >
              > "Yumi." She said. "Take a soeur."
              >
              > "Eh...."
              >
              > Sachiko-sama lied.
              >
              > She had said that today wasn't special, just another day, another
              > day with the soeur she had taken a year ago, but had passed over a
              > problem that was by no means simple to Yumi.
              >

              > The End
              >

              > Afterword
              >
              > Konno Oyuki tells us a little story about a day when both Yumi and
              > Sachiko are sitting on the school roof, skipping class a bit, on a
              > bright clear day in the spring. Sachiko comments that it's peaceful
              > and Yumi watches a plane fly by. The wind rustles their skirts.
              >
              > That was the image she had for the title of the story.

              We can't thank you enough for your efforts and time for this post of
              the Marimite novel.

            • Abigail Rivera
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007
                Thank you so much for sharing the novels with all of
                us. It is greatly appreciated.

                === message truncated ===

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 2007

                  > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: isabela3@...
                  > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 04:02:42 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Notes on the 18th Maria-sama ga Miteru Novel, Part 5
                  >
                  > Thank you so much for sharing the novels with all of
                  > us. It is greatly appreciated.

                  You're welcome!

                  Let me ask everyone again, please cut all the long post before you say something like "thanks." It's kind of silly to leave 20 pages of text that you're not commenting on....

                • Resop
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2007
                    Belated thanks for the translation.

                    I was thinking that the last scene would make for a good DVD extra scene where
                    Sachiko cuts a professional wrestling style heal promo on Yumi after building
                    her up.

                    "Yumi?"

                    "Yes, onee-sama?"

                    "We'll be together forever and ever!"

                    "I'm so happy!"

                    Sachiko sucker attacks Yumi.

                    "Just kidding ... GET OFF YOUR LAZY BUTT AND GET A PETIT SOEUR!"

                    <Um, Sachiko, I think that's a little too much...>

                    Craig
                  • Resop
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Since I haven't read the light novel, I am still in the dark as to who Yumi's
                      choice will be for her petite souer.

                      However, I think I can speculate on who (or what) it won't be.

                      Since Marimite is not based on a dating sim I think we can rule out the
                      following possibilites:

                      * A time traveling girl from the future (the 'other time' motifs in marimite
                      have all be backward looking, such as the previous generations of Lillian
                      providing context for present events)

                      * A cat girl (although it would be sooo cute if the cat that Yumi and company
                      protects in the first season changes into a cat girl, that would violate the
                      rules of the Marimite universe).

                      * A persocom (again, universe rule clash)

                      * A maid (Yumi's room is fairly neat and clean, and Yumi's family probably
                      doesn't have the money to waste on an extravigance like that)

                      * A sick girl that Yumi nurses back to health (they've already had the
                      Yoshino/Rei story)

                      However, one dating sim cliche that might work would be the "childhood friend"
                      cliche (although we have already had the Sei and Eriko kindergarden fight). It
                      could be a girl who was an underclassperson to Yumi in Yumi's previous school
                      who transfers to Lillian. Yumi doesn't recognize her at first because in the
                      year since they have seen each other the other girl has grown her hair out,
                      discovered makeup, and lost weight.

                      Now, if Marimite was a YAOI story, then things would be simple. Sachiko tells
                      Yumi that she won't see her again until Yumi gets a petite souer. Devistated,
                      Yumi runs away and collaspes under a ginko tree and cries. It rains and soon
                      Yumi is an unrecognizable mess. An underclass girl who lives by herself and
                      idolizes Yumi takes Yumi home not even knowing who she is just because she
                      looks so pitiful. ...

                      Craig