RE: [Yuricon] Blue Drop anime

  • Haruchin Chigusa
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
      >From: "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...>

      >I (just this hour) have watched the first episode of the Blue Drop TV
      >anime. From what little of the manga I have read the anime seems
      >different. Or perhaps a telling of the events briefly mentioned in The
      >Angel's Promise...

      From what I've picked up from various places around the internet is that the
      anime is set around a thousand years before events shown in the manga -
      pre-alien invasion. From the little bits of the manga I've read, that seems
      to make sense.

      >Good things in this episode include the head of the dormitory
      >Funatsumaru, who is the first charming character we see in the
      >episode. Then later on we are introduced to someone who looks like she
      >will be my favorite character, we are not given a name but she does
      >have short hair and a cigarette substitute in the corner of her mouth.

      Ah... yes, the Yankee character. She jumped out at me immediately - hope we
      see more of her in future episodes! Her seiyuu sounds very familiar as well,
      although I've not quite managed to place her. It doesn't help that we don't
      know the name of the character yet - ANN isn't much help without a name to
      go on. Anyone recognise who's doing the acting here?

      I'm definitely on board for the next episode. I almost threw my laptop
      across the room when I discovered the first set of subs I downloaded were
      parody subs. Then I took a deep breath, had a cup of tea, and thoroughly
      enjoyed them. No substitute for the real thing though!

      Next ep should be out today at some point, shouldn't it? Can't wait.

      Haru

      Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge
      http://www.backofmyhand.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
        > Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:22:35 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] Blue Drop anime
        >
        > I (just this hour) have watched the first episode of the Blue Drop TV
        > anime. From what little of the manga I have read the anime seems
        > different. Or perhaps a telling of the events briefly mentioned in The
        > Angel's Promise...

        If I understand correctly, the anime has no relationship to the first volume of the manga at all. Erin mentioned that it takes place some significant period of time earlier. I can't remember if it's 100 years or a 1000.

        I can say that I very much liked the first episode. Even the CGI wasn't jarring. Higano's behavior was fairly exppected, but Mari's not Himeko - I liked how she carries a grudge. lol

      • mara_papimer
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
          > From what I've picked up from various places around the internet is
          that the
          > anime is set around a thousand years before events shown in the manga -
          > pre-alien invasion. From the little bits of the manga I've read,
          that seems
          > to make sense.

          Ah, how sad I assume then we will not be seeing Yui animated for the
          time being. Does this (horror of horrors) possibly mean the anime will
          have less yuri than the original work? I hope not, that would be too sad.
        • Haruchin Chigusa
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
            I assume then we will not be seeing Yui animated for the
            >time being.

            Probably no Yui, no.

            Does this (horror of horrors) possibly mean the anime will
            >have less yuri than the original work? I hope not, that would be too sad.

            I don't see why that should be. After all, the nature of the aliens is that
            they're only of the female gender, and are thus attracted to human females.
            There are already strong yuri vibes between Mari and Hagino (despite certain
            events...), and judging from the ED, they're only going to get stronger. At
            least, I hope so. :)

            Get Pimped! FREE emoticon packs from Windows Live -
            http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007

              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > From: in_the_name_of_union7@...
              > Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:18:32 +0000
              > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Blue Drop anime
              >
              > > Ah, how sad I assume then we will not be seeing Yui animated for the
              > time being. Does this (horror of horrors) possibly mean the anime will
              > have less yuri than the original work? I hope not, that would be too sad.

              I think we have to assume that, just on the basis of the fact that it is an anime. Plausible deniability, ambiguity, and censors.

            • Aaron the PK
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                Good job on the spoiler warning. There was absolutely
                no evidence of this in the first episode of the anime
                and its foolish to assume everyone has read the manga.
                It may not be a major spoiler but it is a spoiler.

                --- Haruchin Chigusa <haruchin@...> wrote:

                > Does this (horror of horrors) possibly mean the
                > anime will
                > >have less yuri than the original work? I hope not,
                > that would be too sad.
                > >

                > I don't see why that should be. After all, the
                > nature of the aliens is that
                > they're only of the female gender, and are thus
                > attracted to human females.
                > There are already strong yuri vibes between Mari and
                > Hagino (despite certain
                > events...), and judging from the ED, they're only
                > going to get stronger. At
                > least, I hope so. :)

              • Haruchin Chigusa
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                  >From: Aaron the PK <ultimashadow2000@...>
                  >Good job on the spoiler warning.

                  Apologies. I honestly didn't think about the spoiler potential of crossing
                  over information gleaned from the manga to the anime. I'm not even sure that
                  the anime will follow through with the manga on this point, so it might all
                  end up to be academic. In general though, I'm sorry. I'll try to keep a
                  closer eye on spoiler-worthy material in future.