colouring leasons

  • Kathryn Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
      Ok all you artist I've finally completed the cover of my newest book and
      since it is a reasonable image I used it as my example in my leason plan.
      I've somewhere near 20 screen shots of the process to make things alot
      easier to understand instead of me just talking about it. I'll be putting
      them up on a page of my site and posting the link within the coming weeks.
      My webmaster only taught me a few basics of HTML so I can work on things
      while he is away at this Parents for the holidays so I apligies ahead of
      time for the typos and haphazardish why the page looks.

      A whole ago I said I'd mention Colour theory before getting into all this.
      Basically since I've been in Arts since I was little I really don't think
      about colour theory anymore. It just comes naturaly but there is a few
      things I still keep in mind when selecting my Colour template before
      starting to colour an image.

      Chromatic colour scheme - You start with on colour on the colour wheel and
      work your way around the wheel usually 3 to 4 colours. Eg. Blue + Blue-Green
      + Green + Yellow-green.

      Mono-Chromatic Colour Scheme - Basically take any colour and add tines and
      tone (white or black) to it. Eg: Light pink, Pink, Light red, Red.

      Two colours opposite each other on the colour wheel complement each other
      nicly (this is know as a complementray colour scheme) eg. Red & Green, Blue
      & Orange, Yellow & Purple (in the attached image you'll note that I started
      with a Blue - orange scheme and worked my was around that.)

      Split complementary colour scheme is taking one colour from one side of the
      wheel and the Trisary colours on either side of the opposite colour in the
      wheel. eg. Red + Blue-green + Yellow-green or Blue + Yellow-orange + Red
      Orange.

      Those are just a few that I remember the terms for. There are alot more but
      those are the basics.

      When picking your colour (yes I do all this even before truing on the
      computer) For Hair I use a Mono Chromatic Scheme (I try for 4 colours. One
      high light, One Base, and two tones or shades) then usually move to a
      Complementary colour for the colours or background. (you'll notice in the
      image below that Kima, the red head and Jenn, with blue hair. Are wearing
      complementry colours that are Mono Chromatic to the other girls hair colour.
      I some times change the colours in the computer sever times before getting
      exactly what I want. Note: I also always save my colur template for a
      certain character to be at hand when ever I need it and will lighten or
      darken the colours according the needs of the image. Eg. Kima's hair ranges
      from an orange to almost crimson at times. Jenn's from light blue to almost
      black depending on the lighting.

      Well that is enough for now... I there are any questions feel free to ask...
      Coming soon... an actually lesson... epp!!! >^_^<

      Ja

      Kat
    • zephyr_dudette
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
        --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
        > Ok all you artist I've finally completed the cover of my newest
        book and
        > since it is a reasonable image I used it as my example in my leason
        plan.
        <SNIP>

        > Well that is enough for now... I there are any questions feel free
        to ask...
        > Coming soon... an actually lesson... epp!!! >^_^<
        >
        > Ja
        >
        > Kat

        *Grins widely and gives kat a bushel of apples* arigatou kat!!!!! ^_^
        yaaaay art lesson! thanks for taking the time out of your busy
        schedule for doing this ^_^ gorgeous pic btw

        -Zeph
      • Kathryn Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
          > *Grins widely and gives kat a bushel of apples* arigatou kat!!!!! ^_^
          > yaaaay art lesson! thanks for taking the time out of your busy
          > schedule for doing this ^_^ gorgeous pic btw

          You welcome and thank for the complement.. Mind you looking at the piece
          again there is something wrong (at least to my eye there is) One of the key
          things when doing an image like this is to keep in mind where you want the
          eye be drawn to? What is the first thing one notices when they look at the
          peice? (You usually want the eye to be drawn to the center of an image or on
          someone's face. a good tip is to try having the character looking out at the
          viewer) and this is what is bothering me. For some reason I'm not liking
          that pink around Kima's neck... Hmmmm... If I turn the collar back to white
          my eyes fall on Jenn which is what I wanted... sooo....*leans back in chair
          tapping her teeth with a pencil* This is the one thing I love about
          computer arts. I can leave it and come back later when my mind has had a
          rest form the image... I think I'm going to rest on this for the moment.
          I'll post the changes and see what you all think.

          ja ne

          Kat
        • katyae0211
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
            > > *Grins widely and gives kat a bushel of apples* arigatou kat!!!!!
            ^_^
            > > yaaaay art lesson! thanks for taking the time out of your busy
            > > schedule for doing this ^_^ gorgeous pic btw
            >

            > You welcome and thank for the complement.. Mind you looking at the
            piece
            > again there is something wrong (at least to my eye there is) One of
            the key
            > things when doing an image like this is to keep in mind where you
            want the
            > eye be drawn to? What is the first thing one notices when they look
            at the
            > peice? (You usually want the eye to be drawn to the center of an
            image or on
            > someone's face. a good tip is to try having the character looking
            out at the
            > viewer) and this is what is bothering me. For some reason I'm not
            liking
            > that pink around Kima's neck... Hmmmm... If I turn the collar back
            to white
            > my eyes fall on Jenn which is what I wanted... sooo....*leans back
            in chair
            > tapping her teeth with a pencil* This is the one thing I love about
            > computer arts. I can leave it and come back later when my mind has
            had a
            > rest form the image... I think I'm going to rest on this for the
            moment.
            > I'll post the changes and see what you all think.

            Oddly enough, the first thing that I noticed, and this is totally me,
            but I noticed the collar on Jenn's turtleneck first.

            *shrugs*

            Guess that I am just weird.

            Katya
          • Kathryn Williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001

              > Oddly enough, the first thing that I noticed, and this is totally me,
              > but I noticed the collar on Jenn's turtleneck first.
              >
              > *shrugs*
              >
              > Guess that I am just weird.

              Nope not wierd this is the hard thing about working on a piece. Everyones
              eyes seel colour slightly differently then another. Weird is if I take my
              galsses off reds and greens sort of jump at me.. which is probly why I use
              alot of reds in my works. As for Jenn's colour at least it brings your eye
              to the center of the image... That works for me and I just spent the past
              for moments talking the image over with my new assistant (and resident luker
              on this list) *shines a flashlight into the shadows looking for Merii and
              sees nothing but many parts of glowing eyes stare back at her...epp shuts
              flashlight off* ahem anyway, we think we have solved the proplem but I'm
              still going to sleep on it for a while before tackling the image again...
              thanks for the input.

              ja

              Kat