RE: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: johannconradchua@...
      > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:31:15 +0800
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV
      >
      > There's this weird trend where older dubs
      > where they changed the names and such were better than newer dubs with
      > more accurate translations.

      I've noticed that in English sub/dubs too. Once upon a time there were the subtitles, and a dub track., Now there's dubtitles and in many cases, I think they take more liberties with the text than they used to.

      OTOH, I rarely watch dubs of an anime I enjoy, because I far prefer the Japanese seiyuu to the American VAs. I don't mind watching dubs of anime that's running on, say, Cartoon Network, because I'm unlikely to seek those series out and watch the original. Plus I get a masochistic thrill from listening to North American VAs destroy the names through awkward pronunciation. :-)

      I remember when I got the first Mai HiME DVD and we switched to the dub track just long enough to hear Shizuru kill 4 words, then screamed and went back to the sub.

      I also remember when we got the Japanese volumes of Fushigi Yugi because Miaka's American VA was annoying the crap out of us, only to find that the Japanese VA was just as annoying. lol (Miaka was played by Araki Kae, who was also notably annoying as Chibi-Usa in Sailor Moon.)

    • Johann Chua
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
        On 10/5/07, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
        > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > > From: johannconradchua@...
        > > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:31:15 +0800
        > > Subject: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV
        > >
        > > There's this weird trend where older dubs
        > > where they changed the names and such were better than newer dubs with
        > > more accurate translations.
        >
        > I've noticed that in English sub/dubs too. Once upon a time there were the subtitles,
        > and a dub track., Now there's dubtitles and in many cases, I think they take more
        > liberties with the text than they used to.

        Dubtitles are especially painful when the dialogue has an entire line
        in English, yet the subtitles are completely different.

        My old dub, new dub comparisons are specifically for the same anime.
        In some cases the rights expired, so a new company is involved.
        ABS-CBN, however, has been doing new dubs because they apparently lost
        or recorded over the old ones. They used to be pretty good about
        giving on-screen credit for local adaptation in anime, but these days
        they reserve that for live-action dubs (telenovelas, Chinese and
        Korean dramas, but not tokusatsu).

        Recently there have been cases of two different Tagalog dubs airing at
        the same time (Machine Robo Rescue, Slayers, Nintama Rantaro,
        Gransazers, Justirisers), or less than a year apart (Sugar Sugar
        Rune). Probably due to less exclusive licenses (splitting up broadcast
        and cable rights) or shorter terms being a lot cheaper.

        > OTOH, I rarely watch dubs of an anime I enjoy, because I far prefer the Japanese
        > seiyuu to the American VAs. I don't mind watching dubs of anime that's running on,
        > say, Cartoon Network, because I'm unlikely to seek those series out and watch the
        > original. Plus I get a masochistic thrill from listening to North American VAs destroy
        > the names through awkward pronunciation. :-)

        The really good American VAs usually don't do anime since anime dubs
        are almost all non-union jobs. And even if you do get them, they're
        used to recording voices before the animation is done (American
        animation dubbed in other languages always seem a bit off to me, for
        this reason). Seiyuu are trained to do afureco.

        Bishounen voiced by women in Japanese tend to be played by men in the
        English and Tagalog dubs I've heard. A lot of the local voice
        actresses do boys' voices, but only Charmaine Cordoviz Sagrado
        actually does full-blown androgynous voices (Eagle Vision, Hao
        Asakura, Ryoma Echizen), which comes in handy for bishounen who are
        actually bishoujo.
      • Kim Robbins
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          It might come as a shock to you (to everyone who has seen Utena) but i've only begun watching it on veoh. Unfortunately because of my busy school sched I wasn't able to continue watching it. Add to the fact that we lost our internet connection at home! grr!!! But thank God!! After all these years they're finally going to air it on tv!!! Its about time!!!

          What bothers me is that there would be slight alterations on the anime. It wouldn't the same... I sure hope ABSCBN's dubbers would be able to do justice to Utena.

          ja ne,
          juneese

        • Joy Bordador
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
            I had hoped that they use the original title or the US Manga Corps title instead.

            Kuya Choy Gonzales (Pocholo Gonzales) is supervising the voice-acting. Since he's been doing a LOT of voice-acting work ever since he was a freshman in college (he's an alumnus of Dely Magpayo's well-listened afternoon programmes, notably the long-running "Matudnila") I'm sure it won't be TOO bad. He even has photos to show for it at http://choyg8.multiply.com/photos/album/232/URSULAS_KISS_DUBBING (for the record he's very easy to approach and converse with, for as long as you don't sound very condescending about your preference for subtitles over dubs, as he has almost single-handedly worked to promote the rights of voice actors, including those who do voice-acting work for radio, in the Philippines).