Re: Blue Drop

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Haruchin Chigusa" <haruchin@...>
      wrote:

      > This is the first of the autumn season anime that I've watched,
      and I have
      > to say, it's definitely registered on my yuri radar.

      Not surprising as the manga "Blue Drop" (which we discussed some
      time back here on the list, and which was in part scanlated by
      Lililicious) is pretty Yuri.

      I'm getting yuri vibes
      > off... well... most of the case, to be honest. In any case, it
      looks pretty
      > interesting at first glance - nicely mysterious set up, and just
      in case you
      > weren't sure if it was an SF show or not, a couple of wacking
      great space
      > ships to let you know. :)

      The original manga takes place some significant time post this
      series, but like "Ray" (another manga by the same artist) there is a
      strong SciFi theme.

      I quite liked the first episode. Really nice CGI, and Mari's
      being thrown from the point of view of the recipient. :-)

      I'm interested to see where it goes.

      I just had a quick look at the second volume of the manga, which
      left me pretty cold. I'll stick with the original (which is, yes, on
      the Shop) and the anime.

    • Freddy
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
        ---
        Thats funny i was jsut gonna do a post on Blue drop today after watching ep 1 raw lol. I
        remember the discussion of it being a Yuri anime which is why I watch it in the first place.
        I was lucky enough to get ep 1 very easy so I'm very happy. I can't wait till ep 2.

        In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

        > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Haruchin Chigusa" <haruchin@>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > This is the first of the autumn season anime that I've watched,
        > and I have
        > > to say, it's definitely registered on my yuri radar.
        >

        > Not surprising as the manga "Blue Drop" (which we discussed some
        > time back here on the list, and which was in part scanlated by
        > Lililicious) is pretty Yuri.
        >

        > I'm getting yuri vibes
        > > off... well... most of the case, to be honest. In any case, it
        > looks pretty
        > > interesting at first glance - nicely mysterious set up, and just
        > in case you
        > > weren't sure if it was an SF show or not, a couple of wacking
        > great space
        > > ships to let you know. :)
        >
        > The original manga takes place some significant time post this
        > series, but like "Ray" (another manga by the same artist) there is a
        > strong SciFi theme.
        >
        > I quite liked the first episode. Really nice CGI, and Mari's
        > being thrown from the point of view of the recipient. :-)
        >
        > I'm interested to see where it goes.
        >
        > I just had a quick look at the second volume of the manga, which
        > left me pretty cold. I'll stick with the original (which is, yes, on
        > the Shop) and the anime.

      • Resop
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
          I was thinking recently (always a bad sign) that there is a useful way to
          measure the ambient Yuri in most girls school shows: the amount of
          squidification.

          Squidification is a concept invented by the show The Ouran High School Host
          Club. In the show there was a rival high school that was all girls and the
          schools main idol had such sway over the rest of the school that whenever she
          walked by and smiled a large number of girls would clasp their hands to their
          chest and pucker their lips to the point where they looked like miniature
          squids.

          So, looking at some of the girl school shows, I have tried to compile a list of
          signs of squidification:

          * Girls follow the lives of their idols closely, to the point where the school
          newspaper feeds on their obsession (Maria-sama ga Miteru)

          * If the object of the girls obsession were to run a charity event where they
          were to do something silly or banal the event would instantly sell out and no
          one would mind the quality of the performance. (Gokujou Seitokai)

          * The object of the girls obsession receives love letters and confessions
          (Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl & Futari Wa Pretty Cure (although neither is a girl
          school show))

          (Not a very good list I am afraid. Maybe you folks can help?)

          So, if we were to make a scale of squidification, where 1.0 would be the
          situation in St. Lobelia's Girls Academy (Ouran High School Host Club) and 0.0
          would be the situation in High School Girls, I would rate some common shows as
          follows:

          Ouran High School Host Club (Lobelia arc) - 1.0
          Oniisama E - 1.0
          Maria-sama ga Miteru 0.8
          Gokujou Seitokai 0.8
          Revolutionary Girl Utena 0.6
          Rose of Versailles 0.6
          Futari wa Pretty Cure 0.4
          Yes! Pretty Cure 5 0.4
          Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl 0.4
          High School Girls 0.0

          Do these ratings seem correct?

          Craig
        • Shane
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            I don't know about the scale myself but the Lobelia
            arc was done much better in the manga. Just seeing
            Benibara in the Ouran Boys uniform was awesome.

          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

              > I don't know about the scale myself but the Lobelia
              > arc was done much better in the manga. Just seeing
              > Benibara in the Ouran Boys uniform was awesome.

              Thanks for saying that. Now I know I must buy the manga. If you could
              please tell me which volume that particular scene is in, that would
              help a lot too.

              Squidification seems more like a way of measuring a single woman's
              mass akogare appeal. I suppose you could measure the rate of the
              change to a character or characters design in frames per second.

              Also what should be taken into account is that different character
              types produce different variations in phenomena.

              For example, proper young lady types such as Sachiko and Yoko induce
              quiet awe and a strong feeling of distance. (Remember we are talking
              about arbitrary fans here their friends and sisters don't count)

              Powerful bishonen characters such as Benibara or Amane produce loud
              squealing and squid type behavior. (Why hasn't Rei suffered more of this?)

              Cute (often main character) types such as Yumi or Nagisa can produce
              fans who project their ideal upon the subject. Often resulting in
              highly obsessive single fans.

              Wow going into all that detail is really sad... oh well at least I
              didn't invent a unit for it.
            • Ellen Kuhfeld
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                One of the best examples of squidification I've seen is the fifth season of Sailor Moon. When the Three Lights show up in school, it's squid all the way.

                I love my wife, but Oh, you squid!

                Ellen Rose
              • Resop
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                  That might be a border line case, because even though the three lights are
                  female, while they are not transformed they are disguised as male.

                  Craig

                  --- Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:

                  > One of the best examples of squidification I've seen is the fifth season of
                  > Sailor Moon. When the Three Lights show up in school, it's squid all the
                  > way.
                  >
                  > I love my wife, but Oh, you squid!
                  >
                  > Ellen Rose

                • Ellen Kuhfeld
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                    There's squidification, and then there is the object of squidification. I guess I treat it as a visual representation of active yearning, apart from the person being yearned for and their gender attributes.

                    Ellen Rose