Blue Drop

  • Haruchin Chigusa
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      This is the first of the autumn season anime that I've watched, and I have
      to say, it's definitely registered on my yuri radar. I'm getting yuri vibes
      off... well... most of the case, to be honest. In any case, it looks pretty
      interesting at first glance - nicely mysterious set up, and just in case you
      weren't sure if it was an SF show or not, a couple of wacking great space
      ships to let you know. :)

      Of course, I've only seen the raw (not sure if it's even going to be
      fansubbed, let alone by whom), and my Japanese isn't the greatest, so I'm
      sure I've missed out on an awful lot of the plot. Anyone else taken a look
      at this one?

      Haru

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Haruchin Chigusa" <haruchin@...>
        wrote:

        > This is the first of the autumn season anime that I've watched,
        and I have
        > to say, it's definitely registered on my yuri radar.

        Not surprising as the manga "Blue Drop" (which we discussed some
        time back here on the list, and which was in part scanlated by
        Lililicious) is pretty Yuri.

        I'm getting yuri vibes
        > off... well... most of the case, to be honest. In any case, it
        looks pretty
        > interesting at first glance - nicely mysterious set up, and just
        in case you
        > weren't sure if it was an SF show or not, a couple of wacking
        great space
        > ships to let you know. :)

        The original manga takes place some significant time post this
        series, but like "Ray" (another manga by the same artist) there is a
        strong SciFi theme.

        I quite liked the first episode. Really nice CGI, and Mari's
        being thrown from the point of view of the recipient. :-)

        I'm interested to see where it goes.

        I just had a quick look at the second volume of the manga, which
        left me pretty cold. I'll stick with the original (which is, yes, on
        the Shop) and the anime.

      • Freddy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
          ---
          Thats funny i was jsut gonna do a post on Blue drop today after watching ep 1 raw lol. I
          remember the discussion of it being a Yuri anime which is why I watch it in the first place.
          I was lucky enough to get ep 1 very easy so I'm very happy. I can't wait till ep 2.

          In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

          > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Haruchin Chigusa" <haruchin@>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > This is the first of the autumn season anime that I've watched,
          > and I have
          > > to say, it's definitely registered on my yuri radar.
          >

          > Not surprising as the manga "Blue Drop" (which we discussed some
          > time back here on the list, and which was in part scanlated by
          > Lililicious) is pretty Yuri.
          >

          > I'm getting yuri vibes
          > > off... well... most of the case, to be honest. In any case, it
          > looks pretty
          > > interesting at first glance - nicely mysterious set up, and just
          > in case you
          > > weren't sure if it was an SF show or not, a couple of wacking
          > great space
          > > ships to let you know. :)
          >
          > The original manga takes place some significant time post this
          > series, but like "Ray" (another manga by the same artist) there is a
          > strong SciFi theme.
          >
          > I quite liked the first episode. Really nice CGI, and Mari's
          > being thrown from the point of view of the recipient. :-)
          >
          > I'm interested to see where it goes.
          >
          > I just had a quick look at the second volume of the manga, which
          > left me pretty cold. I'll stick with the original (which is, yes, on
          > the Shop) and the anime.

        • Resop
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
            I was thinking recently (always a bad sign) that there is a useful way to
            measure the ambient Yuri in most girls school shows: the amount of
            squidification.

            Squidification is a concept invented by the show The Ouran High School Host
            Club. In the show there was a rival high school that was all girls and the
            schools main idol had such sway over the rest of the school that whenever she
            walked by and smiled a large number of girls would clasp their hands to their
            chest and pucker their lips to the point where they looked like miniature
            squids.

            So, looking at some of the girl school shows, I have tried to compile a list of
            signs of squidification:

            * Girls follow the lives of their idols closely, to the point where the school
            newspaper feeds on their obsession (Maria-sama ga Miteru)

            * If the object of the girls obsession were to run a charity event where they
            were to do something silly or banal the event would instantly sell out and no
            one would mind the quality of the performance. (Gokujou Seitokai)

            * The object of the girls obsession receives love letters and confessions
            (Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl & Futari Wa Pretty Cure (although neither is a girl
            school show))

            (Not a very good list I am afraid. Maybe you folks can help?)

            So, if we were to make a scale of squidification, where 1.0 would be the
            situation in St. Lobelia's Girls Academy (Ouran High School Host Club) and 0.0
            would be the situation in High School Girls, I would rate some common shows as
            follows:

            Ouran High School Host Club (Lobelia arc) - 1.0
            Oniisama E - 1.0
            Maria-sama ga Miteru 0.8
            Gokujou Seitokai 0.8
            Revolutionary Girl Utena 0.6
            Rose of Versailles 0.6
            Futari wa Pretty Cure 0.4
            Yes! Pretty Cure 5 0.4
            Kasimasi - Girl Meets Girl 0.4
            High School Girls 0.0

            Do these ratings seem correct?

            Craig
          • Shane
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
              I don't know about the scale myself but the Lobelia
              arc was done much better in the manga. Just seeing
              Benibara in the Ouran Boys uniform was awesome.

            • mara_papimer
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:

                > I don't know about the scale myself but the Lobelia
                > arc was done much better in the manga. Just seeing
                > Benibara in the Ouran Boys uniform was awesome.

                Thanks for saying that. Now I know I must buy the manga. If you could
                please tell me which volume that particular scene is in, that would
                help a lot too.

                Squidification seems more like a way of measuring a single woman's
                mass akogare appeal. I suppose you could measure the rate of the
                change to a character or characters design in frames per second.

                Also what should be taken into account is that different character
                types produce different variations in phenomena.

                For example, proper young lady types such as Sachiko and Yoko induce
                quiet awe and a strong feeling of distance. (Remember we are talking
                about arbitrary fans here their friends and sisters don't count)

                Powerful bishonen characters such as Benibara or Amane produce loud
                squealing and squid type behavior. (Why hasn't Rei suffered more of this?)

                Cute (often main character) types such as Yumi or Nagisa can produce
                fans who project their ideal upon the subject. Often resulting in
                highly obsessive single fans.

                Wow going into all that detail is really sad... oh well at least I
                didn't invent a unit for it.
              • Ellen Kuhfeld
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                  One of the best examples of squidification I've seen is the fifth season of Sailor Moon. When the Three Lights show up in school, it's squid all the way.

                  I love my wife, but Oh, you squid!

                  Ellen Rose
                • Resop
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                    That might be a border line case, because even though the three lights are
                    female, while they are not transformed they are disguised as male.

                    Craig

                    --- Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:

                    > One of the best examples of squidification I've seen is the fifth season of
                    > Sailor Moon. When the Three Lights show up in school, it's squid all the
                    > way.
                    >
                    > I love my wife, but Oh, you squid!
                    >
                    > Ellen Rose

                  • Ellen Kuhfeld
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2007
                      There's squidification, and then there is the object of squidification. I guess I treat it as a visual representation of active yearning, apart from the person being yearned for and their gender attributes.

                      Ellen Rose