Re: [Yuricon] A OVA to Anime question

  • sara haruno
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      hi

      i would have to say that the anime mai-hime and mai-otome are an improvement of the originall manga .

      BlackSkaven <BlackSkaven@...> wrote:
      Erica Friedman schrieb:

      > I will say that I like that anime companies are willing to screw around
      > with the stories and tell them differently in a movie or manga or anime.
      > It makes it far more interesting - and makes so many people's heads
      > explode, because fans apparently want consistency and sensibleness.
      > Beats me why they expect if from anime and manga, though. :-)

      Well - I don't like people srewing around with other people's or their
      own work (thinking of Tenchi Muyo after OVA series 1 ...).
      Most of the time I get the impression the people responsible for those
      brilliant plot summaries on the back got to do it. Who would want to
      view this stuff if it wouldn't include popular characters? Makes me
      wonder whether they really wanted to do something different then. ;)
      The worst example I don't want to remember is the first I"s OVA. Just
      the cast of I"s in an awful plot. Okay I"s isn't anything to write home
      about ...

      BlackSkaven

      P.S. Can you name any changed plot etc. that is better than the original
      manga, anime etc. ... ?

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

    • Haruchin Chigusa
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        > i would have to say that the anime mai-hime and mai-otome are an
        >improvement of the originall manga .

        Apart from the fact that in those cases the animes came first, and the
        mangas are the adaptions. Pretty poor ones too, unfortunately.

        Superior adaptions are certainly few and far between, but then that makes
        sense. After all, making something in a new format that is actually superior
        to the original material is very difficult and certainly a thankless task.

        I do like the way Bleach has gone from manga to anime. Yes, there is a large
        amount of filler, but that's something that can't be helped given the
        situation, and at least the scriptwriters managed to pull together new plots
        and do some character development. On the whole when it comes to manga
        content, they've stuck very close to the source, and everything they've
        added has been for the better. The best example of this has been in the last
        few episodes. There is additional material in there, but it's all for good
        character motivation and development reasons, and I love it. Yes, I know the
        whole Tatsuki / Orihime thing is never going to happen, as it's a one-way
        attraction at best, and most likely is just a good old-fashioned close
        friendship, but it's really nice to see the relationship treated with
        respect. More screentime for Tatsuki has to be a good thing!

        In general I like it when production teams are willing to make changes in
        the original material. What works in one format isn't necessarily going to
        work in another, and if changes need to be made for the sake of clarity,
        pacing or whatever else, it's definitely a plus when the production is
        prepared to face down the fanbase. What isn't so good is when unnecessary
        changes are made. I know it's not in the least bit yuri (and therefore
        off-topic - apologies), but recently Bokurano has been annoying me on this
        level. I understand the need to edit for content, and to change the order of
        events for added impact, but here they've changed things to make them
        actually *less dramatic*. They've taken out things and added things that
        manage to totally ruin character insights and personal journeys, and more or
        less negates the whole point of the manga. Very very irritating.

        However (to get back on topic), I do find that OVAs to anime adaptions tend
        to be pretty good. I think that's probably down to the fact that OVAs give
        you the pared down bones of the plot, and then series are free to add extra
        material to build on characters and give audiences a great insight into
        events. Given the choice between OVAs and series I would usually go for the
        series every time. The art and animation may be inferior, but the stories
        are often a lot more satisfying.