A OVA to Anime question

  • chimeratech712
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26 5:34 PM
      I was wondering are Ova considered a continuation of a anime or just a
      new story. i know with kashi-mashi girl meets girl people say it was a
      alternet ending which seems wrong to me :(. Now I persoanlly love the
      ep 13 ova to Kashi-Mashi girl meets Girl and would be sad to hear that
      its not supposed to be a continuation of the anime. I'm asking Cause I
      just saw the anime Uta~Kata 12 episodes and a ep 13 ova. Can anyone
      tell me the true answer to this mystery thats in my head?
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26 5:45 PM
        The term OAV (or OVA) is complete unrelated to whether a story is a continuation of a TV series or not. It stands for Original Video Animation and means that the anime was never played on TV, but was released directly to Video/DVD.

        In the case of Kashimashi, the "OVA" was the final episode, which, yes, changes the end of the 12 episodes that were shown on TV. But, it changes the anime back to something closer to the manga ending - so which one is "right"? :-)

        Maria-sama ga Miteru Season 1 and MsgM ~Haru, Season 2, were TV series. Season 3 and 4, if it is ever made, are OAVs, because they will not have aired on TV, but were/will be released directly as DVDs.

        OAVs and movies sometimes condense or retell a story slightly differently (like the Utena movie told a similar story to the TV series, but told it completely differently.) But it's not a direct relationship.

        I will say that I like that anime companies are willing to screw around with the stories and tell them differently in a movie or manga or anime. It makes it far more interesting - and makes so many people's heads explode, because fans apparently want consistency and sensibleness. Beats me why they expect if from anime and manga, though. :-)

        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > From: chimeratech712@...
        > Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 00:34:15 +0000
        > Subject: [Yuricon] A OVA to Anime question
        >
        > I was wondering are Ova considered a continuation of a anime or just a
        > new story. i know with kashi-mashi girl meets girl people say it was a
        > alternet ending which seems wrong to me :(. Now I persoanlly love the
        > ep 13 ova to Kashi-Mashi girl meets Girl and would be sad to hear that
        > its not supposed to be a continuation of the anime. I'm asking Cause I
        > just saw the anime Uta~Kata 12 episodes and a ep 13 ova. Can anyone
        > tell me the true answer to this mystery thats in my head?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > mailto:Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ellen Kuhfeld
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26 5:52 PM
          I get the impression the OVA is there to tempt you into buying the DVDs, instead of just watching on television.

          For Onegai Teacher, the 13th episode was definitely a continuation. The main characters had never been able to get it on; in the extra episode, they did. I thought it was nice of the writers to give them that particular resolution. (A writer must care for her characters, or it just doesn't sing.)

          In Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, the 13th episode was definitely "and now for something completely different". I thought it was fun even in the raws, and while it was better with subs all you really needed was to understand "Tsunderella!" - the rest was commentary.

          Kasimasi? That's a hard one. Some continuity of plot, different feeling. "Alternate ending" works as a description.

          Just remember: it's all a plot to make you buy the DVD.

          Ellen

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26 9:19 PM
            On 9/27/07, Ellen Kuhfeld <ellen@...> wrote:
            > I get the impression the OVA is there to tempt you into buying the DVDs, instead of
            > just watching on television.

            I've only seen DUAL! on TV, so I haven't seen the video-only 14th episode.

            Cowboy Bebop originally aired only 13 episodes before the LD release
            (anyone else remember those?), but I've seen all the episodes on TV.
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27 9:00 AM
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:

              > I get the impression the OVA is there to tempt you into buying the
              DVDs,
              > instead of just watching on television.

              I'd agree that DVD specials and last episode OVAs are definitely a
              marketing tool to get people to cough up the money for the DVDs. (In
              Japan the DVDs are way more expensive, so it is a big deal. The
              Marimite OVAs are about $55 for one episode.) In general, the first
              two volumes of an anime sell better than the later DVDs, so it makes
              good marketing sense to add on a new episode at the end to entice
              buyers to stick with the series and buy them all.

              Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
              http://okazu.blogspot.com
            • BlackSkaven
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27 9:38 AM
                Erica Friedman schrieb:

                > I will say that I like that anime companies are willing to screw around
                > with the stories and tell them differently in a movie or manga or anime.
                > It makes it far more interesting - and makes so many people's heads
                > explode, because fans apparently want consistency and sensibleness.
                > Beats me why they expect if from anime and manga, though. :-)

                Well - I don't like people srewing around with other people's or their
                own work (thinking of Tenchi Muyo after OVA series 1 ...).
                Most of the time I get the impression the people responsible for those
                brilliant plot summaries on the back got to do it. Who would want to
                view this stuff if it wouldn't include popular characters? Makes me
                wonder whether they really wanted to do something different then. ;)
                The worst example I don't want to remember is the first I"s OVA. Just
                the cast of I"s in an awful plot. Okay I"s isn't anything to write home
                about ...

                BlackSkaven

                P.S. Can you name any changed plot etc. that is better than the original
                manga, anime etc. ... ?
              • sara haruno
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  hi

                  i would have to say that the anime mai-hime and mai-otome are an improvement of the originall manga .

                  BlackSkaven <BlackSkaven@...> wrote:
                  Erica Friedman schrieb:

                  > I will say that I like that anime companies are willing to screw around
                  > with the stories and tell them differently in a movie or manga or anime.
                  > It makes it far more interesting - and makes so many people's heads
                  > explode, because fans apparently want consistency and sensibleness.
                  > Beats me why they expect if from anime and manga, though. :-)

                  Well - I don't like people srewing around with other people's or their
                  own work (thinking of Tenchi Muyo after OVA series 1 ...).
                  Most of the time I get the impression the people responsible for those
                  brilliant plot summaries on the back got to do it. Who would want to
                  view this stuff if it wouldn't include popular characters? Makes me
                  wonder whether they really wanted to do something different then. ;)
                  The worst example I don't want to remember is the first I"s OVA. Just
                  the cast of I"s in an awful plot. Okay I"s isn't anything to write home
                  about ...

                  BlackSkaven

                  P.S. Can you name any changed plot etc. that is better than the original
                  manga, anime etc. ... ?

                  Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                • Haruchin Chigusa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                    > i would have to say that the anime mai-hime and mai-otome are an
                    >improvement of the originall manga .

                    Apart from the fact that in those cases the animes came first, and the
                    mangas are the adaptions. Pretty poor ones too, unfortunately.

                    Superior adaptions are certainly few and far between, but then that makes
                    sense. After all, making something in a new format that is actually superior
                    to the original material is very difficult and certainly a thankless task.

                    I do like the way Bleach has gone from manga to anime. Yes, there is a large
                    amount of filler, but that's something that can't be helped given the
                    situation, and at least the scriptwriters managed to pull together new plots
                    and do some character development. On the whole when it comes to manga
                    content, they've stuck very close to the source, and everything they've
                    added has been for the better. The best example of this has been in the last
                    few episodes. There is additional material in there, but it's all for good
                    character motivation and development reasons, and I love it. Yes, I know the
                    whole Tatsuki / Orihime thing is never going to happen, as it's a one-way
                    attraction at best, and most likely is just a good old-fashioned close
                    friendship, but it's really nice to see the relationship treated with
                    respect. More screentime for Tatsuki has to be a good thing!

                    In general I like it when production teams are willing to make changes in
                    the original material. What works in one format isn't necessarily going to
                    work in another, and if changes need to be made for the sake of clarity,
                    pacing or whatever else, it's definitely a plus when the production is
                    prepared to face down the fanbase. What isn't so good is when unnecessary
                    changes are made. I know it's not in the least bit yuri (and therefore
                    off-topic - apologies), but recently Bokurano has been annoying me on this
                    level. I understand the need to edit for content, and to change the order of
                    events for added impact, but here they've changed things to make them
                    actually *less dramatic*. They've taken out things and added things that
                    manage to totally ruin character insights and personal journeys, and more or
                    less negates the whole point of the manga. Very very irritating.

                    However (to get back on topic), I do find that OVAs to anime adaptions tend
                    to be pretty good. I think that's probably down to the fact that OVAs give
                    you the pared down bones of the plot, and then series are free to add extra
                    material to build on characters and give audiences a great insight into
                    events. Given the choice between OVAs and series I would usually go for the
                    series every time. The art and animation may be inferior, but the stories
                    are often a lot more satisfying.