"Simoun" Anime US Premiere at Yuricon's 2007 "Yurisai" Event

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
      Newark, NJ - Yuricon, a celebration of yuri in anime and manga,
      is pleased to announce the US Premiere of the "Simoun" anime
      at their 2007 "Yurisai" event!

      "Simoun," licensed by Media Blasters, media publisher of products
      targeted to fan-oriented specialty markets, tells the story of
      a wolrd torn by war, and the trials of a squadron of
      warrior-priestesses, the Sibylla of Chor Tempest. "Simoun" was voted
      "Best Yuri Series" of 2006 by Okazu Reviews.

      Yuricon's 2007 "Yurisai" event, will be held Sept. 29th at the
      Newark, NJ Gateway Hilton! Join Yuricon and Media Blasters
      for the only 100% Yuri day of the year!

      For more information on Yuricon, please visit our website at
      http://www.yuricon.org or e-mail us at yuricon@....

      For more information on Media Blasters please visit their website at
      http://www.media-blasters.com/

    • chimeratech712
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
        OMG Thats great. I love Simoun. Does That mean the anime will be Up for sale at Yuri-con
        on dvd? I already seen it but Would love to get it to see the dvd specials That Will Just be
        great. I didn't know It was voted best Yuri of 2006 by Okazu but that makes sence since
        every episode was filled with Drama and action.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "chimeratech712" <chimeratech712@...>
          wrote:

          > OMG Thats great. I love Simoun. Does That mean the anime will be Up
          for sale at Yuri-con
          > on dvd?

          Media Blasters is not sure that the DVD will be available yet in time
          for the event, but they really hope to have a few at least for prizes
          for the Simoun cosplay contest. :-)

        • Carrie Robertson
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
            So.  Should I assume they will release this piecemeal, one DVD at monthly+ intervals?  I don't suppose one can hope for a box set any time soon.  Worst of all, Netflix gets confused, buys the first two discs out, and thinks it has a two-disc set.  Sometimes they end up buying disc four later on and skip disc three entirely.  Maybe they get caught up a year later.  The problem is that this is just not the normal distribution pattern for US and European TV series or US and European audiences.  <deep breath>

            BTW, Hashihime has a nice overview of the new fall anime series.  Notably including Blue Drop ~Tenshitachi no Gikyoku~  ( BLUE DROP ~天使達の戯曲~ )

            wrote:

            > OMG Thats great. I love Simoun. Does That mean the anime will be Up
            for sale at Yuri-con
            > on dvd?

            Media Blasters is not sure that the DVD will be available yet in time
            for the event, but they really hope to have a few at least for prizes
            for the Simoun cosplay contest. :-)

          • Ah... Me
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2007
              That's very typical here....  to release by DVD... vol 1 then 2, etc.... The boxset usually doesn't come out until the whole series is released individually....

              Interestingly, I've actually found Netflix to be very good and complete with their Anime series section... The only one that was missing a DVD was "Kodocha" vol. 7. I've noticed that they do mention new series with "only" two or three discs, if that's all that is currently released. Netflix is helping my entertainment budget tremoundously by allowing me to see shows that are further down my "wish to buy" list.... and either they move up (Like "Kodocha" did) or move down to "eventually"

              Anyways, I'm happily envious that "Simoun" gets to be previewed at Yurisai.... I just wish finances and distance allowed me to go.... Being a student AND living on the West Coast is a bit of a deterrent... :(

              Amy

              Carrie Robertson <Carrie.Robertson@...> wrote:
              So.  Should I assume they will release this piecemeal, one DVD at monthly+ intervals?  I don't suppose one can hope for a box set any time soon.  Worst of all, Netflix gets confused, buys the first two discs out, and thinks it has a two-disc set.  Sometimes they end up buying disc four later on and skip disc three entirely.  Maybe they get caught up a year later.  The problem is that this is just not the normal distribution pattern for US and European TV series or US and European audiences.  <deep breath>

              BTW, Hashihime has a nice overview of the new fall anime series.  Notably including Blue Drop ~Tenshitachi no Gikyoku~  ( ‚a‚k‚t‚d ‚c‚q‚n‚o `“VŽg’B‚Ì‹Y‹È` )

              wrote:

              > OMG Thats great. I love Simoun. Does That mean the anime will be Up
              for sale at Yuri-con
              > on dvd?

              Media Blasters is not sure that the DVD will be available yet in time
              for the event, but they really hope to have a few at least for prizes
              for the Simoun cosplay contest. :-)

              The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
              better slave race, YET.

              "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

            • Haruchin Chigusa
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                This is great! And surely a bit of a coup for Yuricon as well - it must be a
                rare deal to be able to show something before the DVDs come out. Lovely
                stuff!

                Hope the audience appreciates and gets into it. I've fallen in love with the
                series and will certainly be importing the DVDs as soon as they're released
                (so much for resolutions to support the UK anime industry...). I would have
                loved the chance to watch with an audience, but sadly transatlantic flights
                don't come cheap.

                As for DVD release patterns, yes I would suspect Simoun will be no exception
                to the rule of anime DVD distribution. After all, single releases guarantee
                to net more than a boxset, and there's a chance that diehard fans will want
                a boxset as well as their individual DVDs, just so that they have
                everything. That's marketing and sales for ya.

                Haruchin

              • Adam Jones
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                  On 19-Sep-2007 07:45 +0000, Haruchin Chigusa wrote:

                  > Hope the audience appreciates and gets into it. I've fallen in love with the
                  > series and will certainly be importing the DVDs as soon as they're released

                  I was going to mail-order my copy as well, but if there's a chance to
                  pick up volume 1 in person then I'll hold off for a bit. :)

                  > (so much for resolutions to support the UK anime industry...). I would have
                  > loved the chance to watch with an audience, but sadly transatlantic flights
                  > don't come cheap.

                  Indeed they don't...
                  .oO("Tesco Clubcard??!!>?@~#'@!?" )
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007

                    > On 19-Sep-2007 07:45 +0000, Haruchin Chigusa wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hope the audience appreciates and gets into it. I've fallen in
                    love with the
                    > > series and will certainly be importing the DVDs as soon as
                    they're released

                    I'm actually hoping that the audience is already familiar with
                    Simoun, and are cosplaying their brains out. But that's just me. :-)

                    > I was going to mail-order my copy as well, but if there's a chance
                    > pick up volume 1 in person then I'll hold off for a bit. :)

                    Yay, an in person Adam. The royal We are pleased.

                    (And as a total and irrelevant aside, I just realized that the most
                    awkward thing about using the royal We is the verbs. One
                    automatically wants to use singular verbs.)

                    > > (so much for resolutions to support the UK anime industry...). I
                    would have
                    > > loved the chance to watch with an audience, but sadly
                    transatlantic flights
                    > > don't come cheap.
                    >
                    > Indeed they don't...

                    But so worth it. Where else can you find Yuricon and New York City a
                    mere ten nimutes apart? :-)

                    As another aside, I wanted to note that we have people joining us
                    from all over the globe!

                    Our Guest of Honor, Rica Takashima comes from Japan. We have folks
                    joining us from Canada, UK, Sweden and Mexico - that I know of. There
                    may be more that I don't.

                    I can't wait to meet you all (or see you again, for those of you I
                    already know.)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Haruchin Chigusa" <haruchin@...>
                      wrote:

                      > This is great! And surely a bit of a coup for Yuricon as well - it
                      must be a
                      > rare deal to be able to show something before the DVDs come out.
                      Lovely
                      > stuff!

                      I was just chatting with the wife about that - we had a US premiere
                      in 2003, as well. So we've got a record of 100% for premieres. LOL

                      > As for DVD release patterns, yes I would suspect Simoun will be no
                      exception
                      > to the rule of anime DVD distribution. After all, single releases
                      guarantee
                      > to net more than a boxset, and there's a chance that diehard fans
                      will want
                      > a boxset as well as their individual DVDs, just so that they have
                      > everything. That's marketing and sales for ya.

                      MB doesn't *usually* do box sets. I had a long chat at the boss man
                      and tried to convince him of the wisdom of double-DVD sets, pre-order
                      forms that gave discounts, inclusion of the cover art that will be
                      lost because of 6-episode disks as posters, pencil boards or other
                      extras and subs (although MB rarely bothers with those. This doesn't
                      nmake a difference to me, but I know that some people care.) All of
                      the above costs extra. I don't hold out much hope. All I really want
                      is the cover art. Some of those pictures are smoking.

                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19, 2007
                        >MB doesn't *usually* do box sets. I had a long chat at the boss man
                        > and tried to convince him of the wisdom of double-DVD sets, pre-
                        order
                        > forms that gave discounts, inclusion of the cover art that will be
                        > lost because of 6-episode disks as posters, pencil boards or other
                        > extras and subs (although MB rarely bothers with those. This
                        doesn't
                        > nmake a difference to me, but I know that some people care.) All of
                        > the above costs extra. I don't hold out much hope. All I really
                        want
                        > is the cover art. Some of those pictures are smoking.

                        While I'm looking forward to Simoun as much as everyone else,
                        might you be a little concerned about the subtitles? If your reviews
                        for Loveless and Kashimashi are any indication, you seem to have had
                        some issue with Media Blaster's translations. Just curious--Pachy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 20, 2007
                          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

                          > While I'm looking forward to Simoun as much as everyone else,
                          > might you be a little concerned about the subtitles? If your
                          reviews
                          > for Loveless and Kashimashi are any indication, you seem to have
                          had
                          > some issue with Media Blaster's translations. Just curious--Pachy

                          To be honest - yes.

                          I offered my assistance - and my comments about some key issues. So
                          far, I have not been taken up on my offer, although they were
                          verynice about it.

                          Not that MB's translator is bad, but I think they don't have enough
                          layers - it goes from translation to DVD with little adaptation. I'd
                          love to get into thet middle layer and help them with things like
                          voice and punctuation. lol

                          In the mean time, I'll hope they respect our wishes and don't kill
                          things dead. If they do - it's not for lack of me trying. :-)

                        • Adam Jones
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 20, 2007
                            On 20-Sep-2007 12:58 -0000, atheniag wrote:

                            > I offered my assistance - and my comments about some key issues. So
                            > far, I have not been taken up on my offer, although they were
                            > verynice about it.

                            Well, so far they seem to have gotten all the names "right" in the
                            online promotional material, which is a good sign.
                            .oO("Budda bang." )
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 20, 2007
                              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: adam@...
                              > Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:18:28 +0100
                              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: "Simoun" Anime US Premiere at Yuricon's 2007 "Yurisai" Event
                              >
                              > On 20-Sep-2007 12:58 -0000, atheniag wrote:
                              >
                              > > I offered my assistance - and my comments about some key issues. So
                              > > far, I have not been taken up on my offer, although they were
                              > > verynice about it.
                              >
                              > Well, so far they seem to have gotten all the names "right" in the
                              > online promotional material, which is a good sign.

                              They are good people. I can honestly say that if they get something "wrong" it's not out of unconcern or dissrespect. And if we watch Volume 1 and have issues, we can email them and explain our concerns. They are totally approachable. (As *most* anime companies are. Not all, but most.)

                              We are the audience, after all. They want to sell to us. The better they make it, the more we buy. (Or, at least, that should be how it goes...)

                              Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café. Play now!
                            • Johann Chua
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 20, 2007
                                On 9/20/07, atheniag <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
                                > Not that MB's translator is bad, but I think they don't have enough
                                > layers - it goes from translation to DVD with little adaptation. I'd
                                > love to get into thet middle layer and help them with things like
                                > voice and punctuation. lol

                                The current anime/manga market doesn't pay translators as well as it
                                did ten years ago, from what I've heard, so they may not have enough
                                time for polish if they actually want to pay the bills.

                                I was wondering why it was so common to have a separate re-writer in
                                addition to the translator in anime and manga, when prose translations
                                usually didn't (if ever). Jonathan Clements (I think) mentioned in an
                                interview that a friend of his did an economic analysis that proved
                                that the translator/re-writer split was more cost effective, while
                                only _slightly_ lowering the accuracy/quality.