Re: New to yuri :)

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:
      > series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and
      > affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my
      current
      > favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you
      count the
      > abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask
      in the
      > warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not
      phlegm,
      > not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not
      that I'm
      > against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

      At this point in my life, I would have to agree with you. Maria-sama
      is my current favorite yuri as well. It somewhat harkens back to
      simpler times for me, where romance was romance. This series is all
      romance, with many moments of quiet tenderness, which really appeals
      to me now. Someone else in the group mentioned they didn't like it
      because "nothing happens". Well, no violence, or rapid emotional
      roller coasters or sex, no, but that is not what I am looking for. My
      own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
      comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
      other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

      If you want more typical gothic romance with a lesbian twist,
      Strawberry Panic fits the bill. It also has many moments of
      tenderness, but more dashes of angst, drama, mystery, and forbidden
      sex thrown in the spice it up. It is certainly less violent and
      graphic than Noir, but less original. I finally realized what I had
      been comparing it with: a Harlequin romance novel. People who didn't
      get the fan sub can get the DVDs when they are released.

      Like someone else said, I didn't like Simoun at first either. There
      were sooooo many characters and they all blurred together at first.
      But towards the middle of the series, I was hooked and would also
      recommend this one. It deals with a seemly pointless war, and very
      young children being naively forced to serve in it using special
      flying vehicles only they can control. However, the story is deep,
      and full of drama and tenderness, and no upsetting pointless sex or
      violence just for the sake of violence. This one also is being
      released to the American audience soon.

      Welcome to the group!
    • William Sharpe
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007

        My own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
        comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
        other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

        I know exactly what you mean. Aria and Yokohama Kadeishi Kikou are both highly recommended. Especially since they contain a liberal spicing of yuri.
        Come to think of it, I can't remember a really good slice-o-life that DIDN'T contain yuri... this calls for investigation. (or at the very least some intense ponderings)