RE: [Yuricon] New to yuri :)

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      I got quite a bargain on the complete Devilman Lady, and couldn't even make it through the first episode. I second you on the "dark and violent". The series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my current favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you count the abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask in the warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not phlegm, not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not that I'm against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

      Ellen Rose

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Maria Ossa <purplpxy@...> wrote:

        > I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon
        fan when it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done
        Utena. I would love to find out what other yuri titles I should check
        out since I'm so new to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic,
        Noir, and Simoun. What other ones are there? It seems like a lot of
        the info I've gathered is mostly for anime that is either highly yuri
        where it's basically hentai (which i don't mind at all...lol) or very
        subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good titles that actually have
        a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I wish they made
        them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and not just
        the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any
        suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

        > Maria
        >
        > All-Natural Gourmet Candles and More!
        > http://candlesbymaria.scent-team.com
        >

        > Well As a Yuri amv (with subs sadly) maker i can probably help.
        Here is a list of Yuri I've seen and have

        Strawberry panic
        Kasimasi Girl meets girl (got me into Yuri)
        Simoun
        Kannazuki no Miko
        Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito
        Maria sama ga miteru
        Maria sama ga miteru Spring
        Maria sama ga miteru Ova

        Not sure if you or anyone would want to see one of my vids but if you
        do let me know

        ______________
        vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
        > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

      • Resop
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
          Unfortunately, you'd pretty much have to go to tapes of Japanese Women
          Wrestlers to get anything resembling Yuri.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8

          In the above example, the fans (97% school girls) are so "turned into squids"
          (copywrite the Yuka club) by the wrestler Chisuga, one half of the "Crush
          Girls", that the fifth row facing the camera is entirely made up of girls
          waving pom poms like a cheer leading squad. In this match the Crush Girls
          battle the Jumping Bomb Angels in a baby face versus baby face battle with JBA
          (who also competed briefly in the US in the WWF). JBA pulls it out at the end
          but not before tons of lightning fast action.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnY4EsOpDAs

          In the above example, (in a match that might appeal to Erica), Chisuga battles
          Dump Matsumoto in a loser loses their hair match. Dump Matsumoto and her heel
          faction look like a bunch of REALLY scary bikers. Chisuga credits becoming
          insanely popular to Matsumoto's ability to make people hate her guts.
          Matsumoto wins after breaking every rule in the book. The anguished reactions
          of Chisuga's wrestling seconds as Chisuga is being shaved are truly yuri-ific.

          Hope this isn't too off topic ...

          Craig
        • Lori
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:
            > series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and
            > affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my
            current
            > favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you
            count the
            > abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask
            in the
            > warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not
            phlegm,
            > not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not
            that I'm
            > against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

            At this point in my life, I would have to agree with you. Maria-sama
            is my current favorite yuri as well. It somewhat harkens back to
            simpler times for me, where romance was romance. This series is all
            romance, with many moments of quiet tenderness, which really appeals
            to me now. Someone else in the group mentioned they didn't like it
            because "nothing happens". Well, no violence, or rapid emotional
            roller coasters or sex, no, but that is not what I am looking for. My
            own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
            comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
            other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

            If you want more typical gothic romance with a lesbian twist,
            Strawberry Panic fits the bill. It also has many moments of
            tenderness, but more dashes of angst, drama, mystery, and forbidden
            sex thrown in the spice it up. It is certainly less violent and
            graphic than Noir, but less original. I finally realized what I had
            been comparing it with: a Harlequin romance novel. People who didn't
            get the fan sub can get the DVDs when they are released.

            Like someone else said, I didn't like Simoun at first either. There
            were sooooo many characters and they all blurred together at first.
            But towards the middle of the series, I was hooked and would also
            recommend this one. It deals with a seemly pointless war, and very
            young children being naively forced to serve in it using special
            flying vehicles only they can control. However, the story is deep,
            and full of drama and tenderness, and no upsetting pointless sex or
            violence just for the sake of violence. This one also is being
            released to the American audience soon.

            Welcome to the group!
          • William Sharpe
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007

              My own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
              comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
              other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

              I know exactly what you mean. Aria and Yokohama Kadeishi Kikou are both highly recommended. Especially since they contain a liberal spicing of yuri.
              Come to think of it, I can't remember a really good slice-o-life that DIDN'T contain yuri... this calls for investigation. (or at the very least some intense ponderings)