RE: [Yuricon] New to yuri :)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 2:54 PM
      >From: Maria Ossa <purplpxy@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] New to yuri :)
      >Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon fan when
      >it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done Utena. I would
      >love to find out what other yuri titles I should check out since I'm so new
      >to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic, Noir, and Simoun. What other
      >ones are there? It seems like a lot of the info I've gathered is mostly for
      >anime that is either highly yuri where it's basically hentai (which i don't
      >mind at all...lol) or very subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good
      >titles that actually have a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I
      >wish they made them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and
      >not just the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any
      >suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

      As we've discussed quite afe times here, the main reason for the lack of
      overt, romantic Yuri, is that it doesn't sell as well as ambiguous, deniable
      yuri.

      "Strawberry Panic" is a perverted parody of the (to me) far superior
      "Maria-sama ga Miteru." MariMite has one lesbian character - the story of
      her love affair is told in episodes 10 and 11 of the first season. The rest
      of the series is a sweet, semi-romantic not really Yuri, but right on the
      edge where we can all play with it, sort of thing. ;-)

      Gear up for Halo� 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
      http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1
    • Ellen Kuhfeld
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 2:57 PM
        I got quite a bargain on the complete Devilman Lady, and couldn't even make it through the first episode. I second you on the "dark and violent". The series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my current favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you count the abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask in the warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not phlegm, not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not that I'm against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

        Ellen Rose

        Although it's a fairly dark and violent series, I'd highly suggest Devilman Lady. The yuri is much more apparent than other titles I've come acros. Noir, although little more than implied, is also another great series you should watch.

        Maria Ossa <purplpxy@yahoo. com> wrote:

        I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon fan when it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done Utena. I would love to find out what other yuri titles I should check out since I'm so new to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic, Noir, and Simoun. What other ones are there? It seems like a lot of the info I've gathered is mostly for anime that is either highly yuri where it's basically hentai (which i don't mind at all...lol) or very subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good titles that actually have a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I wish they made them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and not just the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

        Maria

        All-Natural Gourmet Candles and More!
        http://candlesbymar ia.scent- team.com

        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

      • chimeratech712
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 4:10 PM
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Maria Ossa <purplpxy@...> wrote:

          > I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon
          fan when it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done
          Utena. I would love to find out what other yuri titles I should check
          out since I'm so new to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic,
          Noir, and Simoun. What other ones are there? It seems like a lot of
          the info I've gathered is mostly for anime that is either highly yuri
          where it's basically hentai (which i don't mind at all...lol) or very
          subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good titles that actually have
          a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I wish they made
          them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and not just
          the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any
          suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

          > Maria
          >
          > All-Natural Gourmet Candles and More!
          > http://candlesbymaria.scent-team.com
          >

          > Well As a Yuri amv (with subs sadly) maker i can probably help.
          Here is a list of Yuri I've seen and have

          Strawberry panic
          Kasimasi Girl meets girl (got me into Yuri)
          Simoun
          Kannazuki no Miko
          Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito
          Maria sama ga miteru
          Maria sama ga miteru Spring
          Maria sama ga miteru Ova

          Not sure if you or anyone would want to see one of my vids but if you
          do let me know

          ______________
          vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
          > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

        • Resop
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 8:13 PM
            Unfortunately, you'd pretty much have to go to tapes of Japanese Women
            Wrestlers to get anything resembling Yuri.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8

            In the above example, the fans (97% school girls) are so "turned into squids"
            (copywrite the Yuka club) by the wrestler Chisuga, one half of the "Crush
            Girls", that the fifth row facing the camera is entirely made up of girls
            waving pom poms like a cheer leading squad. In this match the Crush Girls
            battle the Jumping Bomb Angels in a baby face versus baby face battle with JBA
            (who also competed briefly in the US in the WWF). JBA pulls it out at the end
            but not before tons of lightning fast action.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnY4EsOpDAs

            In the above example, (in a match that might appeal to Erica), Chisuga battles
            Dump Matsumoto in a loser loses their hair match. Dump Matsumoto and her heel
            faction look like a bunch of REALLY scary bikers. Chisuga credits becoming
            insanely popular to Matsumoto's ability to make people hate her guts.
            Matsumoto wins after breaking every rule in the book. The anguished reactions
            of Chisuga's wrestling seconds as Chisuga is being shaved are truly yuri-ific.

            Hope this isn't too off topic ...

            Craig
          • Lori
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3 11:30 AM
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:
              > series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and
              > affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my
              current
              > favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you
              count the
              > abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask
              in the
              > warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not
              phlegm,
              > not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not
              that I'm
              > against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

              At this point in my life, I would have to agree with you. Maria-sama
              is my current favorite yuri as well. It somewhat harkens back to
              simpler times for me, where romance was romance. This series is all
              romance, with many moments of quiet tenderness, which really appeals
              to me now. Someone else in the group mentioned they didn't like it
              because "nothing happens". Well, no violence, or rapid emotional
              roller coasters or sex, no, but that is not what I am looking for. My
              own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
              comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
              other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

              If you want more typical gothic romance with a lesbian twist,
              Strawberry Panic fits the bill. It also has many moments of
              tenderness, but more dashes of angst, drama, mystery, and forbidden
              sex thrown in the spice it up. It is certainly less violent and
              graphic than Noir, but less original. I finally realized what I had
              been comparing it with: a Harlequin romance novel. People who didn't
              get the fan sub can get the DVDs when they are released.

              Like someone else said, I didn't like Simoun at first either. There
              were sooooo many characters and they all blurred together at first.
              But towards the middle of the series, I was hooked and would also
              recommend this one. It deals with a seemly pointless war, and very
              young children being naively forced to serve in it using special
              flying vehicles only they can control. However, the story is deep,
              and full of drama and tenderness, and no upsetting pointless sex or
              violence just for the sake of violence. This one also is being
              released to the American audience soon.

              Welcome to the group!
            • William Sharpe
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4 12:44 PM

                My own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
                comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
                other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

                I know exactly what you mean. Aria and Yokohama Kadeishi Kikou are both highly recommended. Especially since they contain a liberal spicing of yuri.
                Come to think of it, I can't remember a really good slice-o-life that DIDN'T contain yuri... this calls for investigation. (or at the very least some intense ponderings)