New to yuri :)

  • Maria Ossa
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon fan when it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done Utena. I would love to find out what other yuri titles I should check out since I'm so new to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic, Noir, and Simoun. What other ones are there? It seems like a lot of the info I've gathered is mostly for anime that is either highly yuri where it's basically hentai (which i don't mind at all...lol) or very subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good titles that actually have a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I wish they made them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and not just the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

      Maria

      All-Natural Gourmet Candles and More!
      http://candlesbymaria.scent-team.com

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
    • Matthew Daring

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
          >From: Maria Ossa <purplpxy@...>
          >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Yuricon] New to yuri :)
          >Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon fan when
          >it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done Utena. I would
          >love to find out what other yuri titles I should check out since I'm so new
          >to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic, Noir, and Simoun. What other
          >ones are there? It seems like a lot of the info I've gathered is mostly for
          >anime that is either highly yuri where it's basically hentai (which i don't
          >mind at all...lol) or very subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good
          >titles that actually have a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I
          >wish they made them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and
          >not just the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any
          >suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

          As we've discussed quite afe times here, the main reason for the lack of
          overt, romantic Yuri, is that it doesn't sell as well as ambiguous, deniable
          yuri.

          "Strawberry Panic" is a perverted parody of the (to me) far superior
          "Maria-sama ga Miteru." MariMite has one lesbian character - the story of
          her love affair is told in episodes 10 and 11 of the first season. The rest
          of the series is a sweet, semi-romantic not really Yuri, but right on the
          edge where we can all play with it, sort of thing. ;-)

          Gear up for Halo� 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
          http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
            I got quite a bargain on the complete Devilman Lady, and couldn't even make it through the first episode. I second you on the "dark and violent". The series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my current favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you count the abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask in the warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not phlegm, not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not that I'm against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

            Ellen Rose

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Maria Ossa <purplpxy@...> wrote:

              > I'm just now starting to watch Utena. I became a huge Sailor Moon
              fan when it first came out and am going to rewatch it once I'm done
              Utena. I would love to find out what other yuri titles I should check
              out since I'm so new to this genre. I've heard of Strawberry Panic,
              Noir, and Simoun. What other ones are there? It seems like a lot of
              the info I've gathered is mostly for anime that is either highly yuri
              where it's basically hentai (which i don't mind at all...lol) or very
              subtle yuri undertones. Are there any good titles that actually have
              a romantic story between women? They seem rare. I wish they made
              them. There needs to be more lesbian romance portrayed and not just
              the sex. (Although the sex is definitely a plus...hahaha) Any
              suggestions, guys? Thanks! ;)

              > Maria
              >
              > All-Natural Gourmet Candles and More!
              > http://candlesbymaria.scent-team.com
              >

              > Well As a Yuri amv (with subs sadly) maker i can probably help.
              Here is a list of Yuri I've seen and have

              Strawberry panic
              Kasimasi Girl meets girl (got me into Yuri)
              Simoun
              Kannazuki no Miko
              Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito
              Maria sama ga miteru
              Maria sama ga miteru Spring
              Maria sama ga miteru Ova

              Not sure if you or anyone would want to see one of my vids but if you
              do let me know

              ______________
              vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
              > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

            • Resop
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
                Unfortunately, you'd pretty much have to go to tapes of Japanese Women
                Wrestlers to get anything resembling Yuri.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCz4E-01q8

                In the above example, the fans (97% school girls) are so "turned into squids"
                (copywrite the Yuka club) by the wrestler Chisuga, one half of the "Crush
                Girls", that the fifth row facing the camera is entirely made up of girls
                waving pom poms like a cheer leading squad. In this match the Crush Girls
                battle the Jumping Bomb Angels in a baby face versus baby face battle with JBA
                (who also competed briefly in the US in the WWF). JBA pulls it out at the end
                but not before tons of lightning fast action.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnY4EsOpDAs

                In the above example, (in a match that might appeal to Erica), Chisuga battles
                Dump Matsumoto in a loser loses their hair match. Dump Matsumoto and her heel
                faction look like a bunch of REALLY scary bikers. Chisuga credits becoming
                insanely popular to Matsumoto's ability to make people hate her guts.
                Matsumoto wins after breaking every rule in the book. The anguished reactions
                of Chisuga's wrestling seconds as Chisuga is being shaved are truly yuri-ific.

                Hope this isn't too off topic ...

                Craig
              • Lori
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...> wrote:
                  > series where the characters care for one another, and are kind and
                  > affectionate, are much more to my taste. Maria-sama ga Miteru is my
                  current
                  > favorite in the genre. No sex and violence whatsoever (unless you
                  count the
                  > abduction of Yumi in the third episode of the OVA) but you can bask
                  in the
                  > warmth. I don't need bodily fluids for fulfilment - not blood, not
                  phlegm,
                  > not yellow or black bile. Nor the other, more glamourous, ones. Not
                  that I'm
                  > against the glamorous ones -- ah, the days of my youth ...

                  At this point in my life, I would have to agree with you. Maria-sama
                  is my current favorite yuri as well. It somewhat harkens back to
                  simpler times for me, where romance was romance. This series is all
                  romance, with many moments of quiet tenderness, which really appeals
                  to me now. Someone else in the group mentioned they didn't like it
                  because "nothing happens". Well, no violence, or rapid emotional
                  roller coasters or sex, no, but that is not what I am looking for. My
                  own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
                  comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
                  other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

                  If you want more typical gothic romance with a lesbian twist,
                  Strawberry Panic fits the bill. It also has many moments of
                  tenderness, but more dashes of angst, drama, mystery, and forbidden
                  sex thrown in the spice it up. It is certainly less violent and
                  graphic than Noir, but less original. I finally realized what I had
                  been comparing it with: a Harlequin romance novel. People who didn't
                  get the fan sub can get the DVDs when they are released.

                  Like someone else said, I didn't like Simoun at first either. There
                  were sooooo many characters and they all blurred together at first.
                  But towards the middle of the series, I was hooked and would also
                  recommend this one. It deals with a seemly pointless war, and very
                  young children being naively forced to serve in it using special
                  flying vehicles only they can control. However, the story is deep,
                  and full of drama and tenderness, and no upsetting pointless sex or
                  violence just for the sake of violence. This one also is being
                  released to the American audience soon.

                  Welcome to the group!
                • William Sharpe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 4, 2007

                    My own life is in too much chaos, and what I look for is an escape, some
                    comfort, some signs that the human race still cares at all for each
                    other. That's why Maria sama is so appealing to me.

                    I know exactly what you mean. Aria and Yokohama Kadeishi Kikou are both highly recommended. Especially since they contain a liberal spicing of yuri.
                    Come to think of it, I can't remember a really good slice-o-life that DIDN'T contain yuri... this calls for investigation. (or at the very least some intense ponderings)