Best and worst Yuri

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
      So, we're kind of in a holding pattern - most of the spring anime is
      winding down to a close and the autumn series haven't started up yet.

      I was thinking how I'm pretty happy with both El Cazador and Nanoha
      StikerS for my Yuri fixes this season and still hating Hitohira as I
      watch it to make Claymore more awesome by comparison. lol

      Which got me thinking about some of the best and worst series I've
      ever watched.

      Like - "I cannot believe I am watching this, someone kill me now and
      put me out of my misery" worst, but you watch it all the way to the
      end.

      In all cases of the Best I've ever watched, I had no particular
      expectation of it being good. I did not expect to fall in love with
      all of the Senshi in Sailor Moon, I did not expect to be blown away
      by the surrealism of Utena I did not expect to fall in love (again!)
      with all the characters of Marimite and I did not expect to be
      sitting there like an ass every week screaming at my computer for ROD
      The TV. But in every case, I did.

      Fot the worst series I've watched, inevitably I had no expectations
      and the anime managed to not even be that good. lol In most cases for
      "worst" I think of series that had no plot, but were a loosely
      connected series of scenes that ultimately made no sense, like Yami
      to Bousho to Hon ni Tabibito or, like Hitohira, have a plot so thin
      that the audience really has to work to make it into anything like
      drama. But the ones that really stand out to me are the ones where
      there is no Yuri, but its tacked on to the anime, along with lolicon
      and panty shots to make it more marketable, like Kiddy Grade. I
      might watch it to the end in order to be able to review it, but I'm
      not having any fun at all. :-)

      The worst anime, bar none, that I have ever sat through was Shusaku
      Replay which, although it had a "Yuri" ending was the most disgusting
      piece of filth I've ever seen/read ever and it wasn't even funny
      filth. It was just gross and boring filth. I watched it, because I
      was trying to find semi-decent hentai for us to play at Yuricon 2003.
      This was not it. Now, if someone animated Mori Natsuko's "Yuri-
      himetachi no Houkago" *that* would be awesome and hysterical filth. I
      would pay a lot of money to see that animated. lol

      So, what was your best/worst?

    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
        On 29-Aug-2007 13:28 -0000, atheniag wrote:

        > So, what was your best/worst?

        (Working on the basis of yuri-related anime only here, otherwise I'd
        have a much longer list...)

        I rarely put up with anything actively awful for very long, so I have to
        admit that very few truly terrible shows stick in my memory. That said,
        I will give things a chance when given a sufficiently trustworthy
        recommendation.

        So on that note, thank you so very much, Erica, for persuading me to
        watch Air Master and Ikkitousen. The twitching has almost stopped now,
        mercifully.

        Hitohira was very disappointing, coming to me as it did, recommended by
        several people all at once. There was a tiny glimmer of hope somewhere
        around the middle, but it all vanished immediately thereafter. Given
        some of the truly *awful* dreck out there, though, I'd hesitate to call
        it memorably bad - it was merely bland.

        Strawberry Panic. Good god but that show was terrifying. I ended up
        showing the first episode to other people just to watch them cringe.

        I actually watched the entirety of Kannazuki no Miko; I'm still not
        entirely sure why. Perhaps it was the sheer number of Utena, er,
        homages in the first five minutes. I guess I'd have to call it a very,
        very guilty pleasure.

        As for the good...

        Utena has to come top of the list. Even all these years later it's
        still head and shoulders above any other show I've watched, yuri or not.
        The first thirteen episodes were merely tantalising, but the final arcs
        grew ever more twisted and compelling, and the ending was simply
        stunning. (This was Erica's fault as well, of course, which is why I've
        forgiven her for Air Master. ;)

        I almost gave up on Simoun after the first couple of episodes, but
        persevered on the strength of Erica's recommendation and Sue's episode
        summaries. After seeing the fourth episode I started to think it had
        some serious potential, and by the time the end finally arrived it had
        turned into something far more beautiful and powerful than I'd ever
        expected - complex, deep, intricately characterised and utterly unique.
        (And here I must add: "THIS IS NOT HENTAI!". Ah, the memories...)

        There are lots of other yuri series I've liked (Noir, Madlax, Aria,
        Stellvia, Sailormoon, Marimite), but I'm not sure I'd put them on a list
        of all-time greats. That said, the world clearly needs much more
        Stellvia yuri.
        .oO("Welcome to Dysfunction Junction!" )
      • Jamie Wells
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
          How do I fall Erica and Adam's awesomely fantastic and in-depth reviews?

          Easy,

          I won't.

          >_>

          (I'm too busy fawning over Bleach, FMA, and //still// Mai Hime/Otome meanwhile getting mind-effed by Serial Experiments Lain.  Yes, I'm waaaaay behind in watching anime, as my friend Jenny, points out to me countless times).

          But since I'm here, cheers for Utena.  I did really enjoy that series, even if it was long... (you can put the words 'filled with' before long and the words 'haired creepy guys' after if you want too).  But in spite of that, that anime will always hold a special, if not thorny rose filled place of my heart.

          Yeah, that's all...  I'll watch all the yuri stuff eventually.  Jenny still keeps bugging me to watch Claymore.  I just haven't the interest quite yet since I still need to get through Lain and Azumanga Daioh before I even consider watching anime again.  (it's like a drug, gotta moderate)

          --Vexed Fusion

          --
          Adam Jones (adam@yggdrasl. demon.co. uk)(http://www.yggdrasl .demon.co. uk/)
          .oO("Welcome to Dysfunction Junction!" )

        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
            I've only seen the first episode of UTENA, raw, tacked on the end of a
            VHS fansub of THE VIOLINIST OF HAMELN. The U.S. DVDs seem to be out of
            print...

            Just when I can finally afford to buy loads of anime DVDs, the ones I
            want (like CCS and KOR TV) are OOP. Though in KOR's case, there's the
            Japanese boxset to fall back on, which comes with limited edition
            figues...
          • Carmen DiProspero
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
              Have you considered looking into the Right Stuf
              website or even eBay for those OOP titles? I remember
              I got the KOR OVA's on DVD on eBay, and Right Stuf
              usually has closeout specials on some OOP releases.

              Carmen ^_^

              --- Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:

              > I've only seen the first episode of UTENA, raw,
              > tacked on the end of a
              > VHS fansub of THE VIOLINIST OF HAMELN. The U.S. DVDs
              > seem to be out of
              > print...
              >
              > Just when I can finally afford to buy loads of anime
              > DVDs, the ones I
              > want (like CCS and KOR TV) are OOP. Though in KOR's
              > case, there's the
              > Japanese boxset to fall back on, which comes with
              > limited edition
              > figues...

              http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
            • Shane
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                You can find Utena at Fry's electronics if there
                happens to be one near you.

                --- Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:

                > I've only seen the first episode of UTENA, raw,
                > tacked on the end of a
                > VHS fansub of THE VIOLINIST OF HAMELN. The U.S. DVDs
                > seem to be out of
                > print...
                >
                > Just when I can finally afford to buy loads of anime
                > DVDs, the ones I
                > want (like CCS and KOR TV) are OOP. Though in KOR's
                > case, there's the
                > Japanese boxset to fall back on, which comes with
                > limited edition
                > figues...

              • Johann Chua
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                  On 8/30/07, Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@...> wrote:
                  > Have you considered looking into the Right Stuf
                  > website or even eBay for those OOP titles? I remember
                  > I got the KOR OVA's on DVD on eBay, and Right Stuf
                  > usually has closeout specials on some OOP releases.

                  AFAIK, rightstuf.com requires credit card info to be faxed for
                  international orders, so that's a no go (no way am I dialing IDD).
                  eBay looks to be a better option.
                • Johann Chua
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                    I'm not in the U.S.

                    On 8/30/07, Shane <haruka_clone@...> wrote:
                    > You can find Utena at Fry's electronics if there
                    > happens to be one near you.
                    >
                    > --- Johann Chua <johannconradchua@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > I've only seen the first episode of UTENA, raw,
                    > > tacked on the end of a
                    > > VHS fansub of THE VIOLINIST OF HAMELN. The U.S. DVDs
                    > > seem to be out of
                    > > print...
                    > >
                    > > Just when I can finally afford to buy loads of anime
                    > > DVDs, the ones I
                    > > want (like CCS and KOR TV) are OOP. Though in KOR's
                    > > case, there's the
                    > > Japanese boxset to fall back on, which comes with
                    > > limited edition
                    > > figues...
                  • shenotski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                      You could could always get it MST3Ked.
                      > The worst anime, bar none, that I have ever sat through was Shusaku
                      > Replay which, although it had a "Yuri" ending was the most disgusting
                      > piece of filth I've ever seen/read ever and it wasn't even funny
                      > filth. It was just gross and boring filth. I watched it, because I
                      > was trying to find semi-decent hentai for us to play at Yuricon 2003.
                      > This was not it. Now, if someone animated Mori Natsuko's "Yuri-
                      > himetachi no Houkago" *that* would be awesome and hysterical filth. I
                      > would pay a lot of money to see that animated. lol
                      >
                      > So, what was your best/worst?

                    • Zyl
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
                        I scanned my info and emailed it over to TSRI and that was fine. They have some serious bargains in their bargain bins sometime.

                        I did call them on the phone once but that was via Skype. ;)

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
                          On 8/30/07, Zyl <zylelt@...> wrote:
                          > I scanned my info and emailed it over to TSRI and that was fine. They have some
                          > serious bargains in their bargain bins sometime.

                          No scanner either. Anyway, TRSI is out of CCS TV and KOR TV. Amazon's
                          Marketplace has CCS TV complete sets ($200 to $250), though, including
                          two from (Robert's?) Anime Corner.

                          I've also noticed really cheap region 3 or 4 English subtitled anime
                          DVDs for KOR and CCS on eBay, but I suspect they're pirated, or at
                          least have substandard translation. I trust Rika Takahashi and
                          AnimEigo's translations.