RE: [Yuricon] Pretty Face licensed by Viz

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
      It can be interesting, but an awful lot of these "she's reallly a boy"
      stories can be considered forced feminization. That's a kink I'm not
      very fond of. But then I thought of Simoun. Forced NON-feminization?
      "There's a war on. You can do that some other time."

      Ellen Rose

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007

        From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
        Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:50:29 -0400

        IIRC, I think it's really only from the neck up. Hence, his pretty
        face. I think the story went that he was so horribly disfigured that
        the quack plastic surgeon who rescued him reconstructed his face from
        the picture in his pocket, which was a photo of the girl he liked.
        So, he essentially ends up a dead ringer for said girl's missing twin
        sister. And, naturally, he plays along and ends up living with her.
        Though, no one seems to think it strange that the prodigal twin has a
        rough and masculine personality that comes through in times of stress.

        Well, look, if you're going to be logical, then you won't enjoy *most*
        manga, so stop that right now.

        Who said anything about not enjoying Pretty Face? Not I. And I disagree. I think I'm living proof of someone who can be quite logical and still enjoy most manga, even though most of their premises are flimsier than the paper they're printed on.  I mean, c'mon, I'm a connoisseur of fine crap. Ikkitousen, anyone?

        -==-

        Serge

        "Visually Impressive!" -- Precocious Curmudgeon

        http://ximatl.blogspot.com

        http://albikal.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
          >From: "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@...>
          >To: <Yuricon@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Pretty Face licensed by Viz
          >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:16:48 -0500
          >
          >It can be interesting, but an awful lot of these "she's reallly a boy"
          >stories can be considered forced feminization. That's a kink I'm not
          >very fond of. But then I thought of Simoun. Forced NON-feminization?
          >"There's a war on. You can do that some other time."

          That just made me laugh out loud. Great line - I intend on stealing it at
          Yurisai. ;-)

          http://travel.msn.com/Articles/aboutfarecast.aspx&ocid=T001MSN25A07001
        • Ellen Kuhfeld
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
            Help yourself to the line. And there's another I have - Anne Waltz has already adopted it.

            Think of manga and anime as music. Fan-fiction is variations upon a theme.

            Ellen Rose

            >It can be interesting, but an awful lot of these "she's reallly a boy"
            >stories can be considered forced feminization. That's a kink I'm not
            >very fond of. But then I thought of Simoun. Forced NON-feminization?
            >"There's a war on. You can do that some other time."

            That just made me laugh out loud. Great line - I intend on stealing it at
            Yurisai. ;-)

            http://www.yuricon. org
            Hiungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

            "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
            The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com

            http://travel. msn.com/Articles /aboutfarecast. aspx&ocid= T001MSN25A07001

          • ingenue183
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
              i really tried enjoying ikkitousen, but i just couldn't get into it
              despite all the fanservice...

              which led me to wonder, what other 'fine crap' titles do people
              enjoy? i'm curious to know. i think strawberry panic's a given ;)

              for me it'd have to include the ebichu anime series. sooo bad... sooo
              funny... !!!

              - lill.

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

              > On Aug 24, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Erica Friedman wrote:
              >
              > >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
              > >> To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > >> Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Pretty Face licensed by Viz
              > >> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:50:29 -0400
              > >>

              > >> IIRC, I think it's really only from the neck up. Hence, his
              pretty
              > >> face. I think the story went that he was so horribly disfigured
              that
              > >> the quack plastic surgeon who rescued him reconstructed his face
              from
              > >> the picture in his pocket, which was a photo of the girl he
              liked.
              > >> So, he essentially ends up a dead ringer for said girl's missing
              twin
              > >> sister. And, naturally, he plays along and ends up living with
              her.
              > >> Though, no one seems to think it strange that the prodigal twin
              has a
              > >> rough and masculine personality that comes through in times of
              > >> stress.
              > >
              > > Well, look, if you're going to be logical, then you won't enjoy
              *most*
              > > manga, so stop that right now.
              >
              > Who said anything about not enjoying Pretty Face? Not I. And I
              > disagree. I think I'm living proof of someone who can be quite
              > logical and still enjoy most manga, even though most of their
              > premises are flimsier than the paper they're printed on. I mean,
              > c'mon, I'm a connoisseur of fine crap. Ikkitousen, anyone?
              >
              > -==-
              > Serge
              > "Visually Impressive!" -- Precocious Curmudgeon
              > http://ximatl.blogspot.com
              > http://albikal.blogspot.com

            • Ellen Kuhfeld
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
                Fine Crap? Looking over my shoulder at the anime shelf, I'd have to say "Space Pirate Mito." Definite crap, definite fun.

                Ellen Rose
              • William Sharpe
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Some current offerings this season would be Doujin work and Zombie Loan.
                  Actually I'm interested in people's opinions about Zombie Loan. There has been a consistent yuri thread through the series, with at least one really good Michiru/Yomi scene every two eps. It's mostly LFB fan service of course, but there are hints of something else.
                  The first half of ep 7 was especially LFB yurilicious with the onsen scene crossing the line into soft core porn, but for a moment there it seemed like Yomi's feelings were actually being treated/portrayed seriously by the producers.
                  Anyone else notice this or is it just my wishful thinking?
                  Aside from the Yuri the series meanders around "watchable" territorry as an action shounen with some decent humor, interesting characters, and surprisingly little phallic hitting of things. Fine crap probably describes it perfectly.

                • Katie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
                    I'm actually almost head over heels for the Yomi/Michiru pairing. I say almost because I'm holding out until we get a little more explanation on how Yomi and Koyomi work re:

                    SPOILERS

                    the body sharing.

                    But yeah, I think it's oddly sweet for a service pairing. The scene in the onsen, where Yomi actually stops when Michiru tells her she doesn't like it, really impressed me for this silly of a series, and Yomi/Koyomi's sweet, surprised happiness when Michiru thought she looked cute in the outfit during the Shiba arc, and when she lent her her jacket during the onsen episode as well.

                    I'm fully expecting my hopes to be dashed, but that's what fanfic is for!

                    Katie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
                      >From: "ingenue183" <hamsters_in_space@...>
                      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [Yuricon] what fine crap do you enjoy? (OT from "Pretty Face
                      >licensed by Viz")
                      >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:32:59 -0000
                      >
                      >i really tried enjoying ikkitousen, but i just couldn't get into it
                      >despite all the fanservice...

                      I sort of watch Ikkitousen around the serivce.

                      >which led me to wonder, what other 'fine crap' titles do people
                      >enjoy? i'm curious to know. i think strawberry panic's a given ;)

                      Haha.

                      I am a fairly equal opportunity Yuri fan. I love my crap as well as the
                      quality.

                      Cutie Honey, in all its incarnations, has to be tops on my "good crap" list
                      for both anime and manga.

                      And one of my favorite pieces of utter trash ever is an appalling manga
                      series called "Eve's Apple." There's some Yuri play, no real lesbian
                      characters, but the general level of good crappiness is very high. VERY.
                      I've reviewed all the volumes on Okazu, so I won't go into detail, but the
                      bottom line is that its about a high school girl who wants to draw manga.
                      The only magazine she can get a job at is for a BDSM manga magazine. It's a
                      very funny and silly look at what would otherwise be very hardcore
                      situations.

                      While the art is quality, I have to include Shimizu Reiko's "Kaguya-hime" in
                      the good crap category. Baaaad science (clones, moon-rock based diseases,)
                      fantasy feudal Chinese kingdoms, moon people, myth, yaoi, yuri, incest and
                      who all knows what else makes this whole manga series a total "WTF???" I
                      loved it, right until the very end when it got boring.

                      Air Master - the art is awful, the story is ridiculous, the opening theme is
                      awesome and I love, love, love this series. :-)

                      More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 25, 2007
                        --- From: "ingenue183" <hamsters_in_space@...>
                        > >which led me to wonder, what other 'fine crap' titles do people
                        > >enjoy? i'm curious to know. i think strawberry panic's a given ;)

                        For me it would be Kannazuki and Burst Angel. While not works of art
                        they're still enjoyable as entertainment. I thought Kedamono Damono was
                        okay at least until the second volume--Pachy
                      • Resop
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
                          Kannazuki no Miko is for those people who saw Maria-sama Ga Miteru and said
                          "Gee, that was a good series, but what it REALLY needed was a Sailor Moon
                          Villain Squad (r) and mecha, lots and lots of mecha.

                          Craig

                        • u101_yoshimi@fastmail.fm
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 26, 2007
                            On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:55:42 -0000, "josephglanvill"
                            <s0235438@...> said:

                            > For me, I enjoy Kannazuki no Miko, possibly one of the worst series
                            > in history of the universe, but so entertainingly bad (I have yet to
                            > meet anyone who doesn't convulse with laughter at the end of the
                            > first episode.

                            Hmmm, shut down PC and get out from your home once for a while? ;D
                            --

                            u101_yoshimi@...

                            or over the web
                          • Jamie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 27, 2007
                              what is this fanfic called?
                              I would like to read it.

                              josephglanvill <s0235438@...> wrote:
                              > Kannazuki no Miko is for those people who saw Maria-sama Ga Miteru
                              and said
                              > "Gee, that was a good series, but what it REALLY needed was a Sailor
                              Moon
                              > Villain Squad (r) and mecha, lots and lots of mecha.
                              >
                              > Craig

                              Actually, I thought that the fanfiction.net explanation was the most
                              accurate one. It's a mary-sue fanfic written by Kaorin from Azumanga
                              Daioh with input from her Gundam Wing fanboy brother. :-D

                              > Hmmm, shut down PC and get out from your home once for a while? ;D
                              > --

                              Very droll. Don't talk about that which you do not understand.

                              Fanusi Khiyal