Re: [Yuricon] Claymore

  • stonegarden@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
      It's been discussed some as to whether it really qualified as yuri between Clare and Thereasa.  I think general consensus was that that particular aspect was more of a big sister/little sister arrangement.  I have been watching it, and after seeing the gathering of warriors in the last episode had the thought that it was like a sisterhood.  Albeit one seemingly created by some warped guys so...  In any case, I like watching it...I think it has a lot of character development, and action.  Kind of a rarer combination.
      christine

      From: "josephglanvill" <s0235438@...>

      Someone throw something at me if this has already been discussed;
      recently, I have not had the time to follow the discussions too closely.

      One of my friends introduced me to a series called Claymore, which
      can't seem to make up its mind whether it's a lesbian DBZ meets Berserk
      or a lesbian Berserk meeting DBZ. Despite this, it's wierdly
      compelling in a popcorn fashion. Anyone else seen this and have any
      thoughts?

      Fanusi Khiyal

    • BlackSkaven
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
        josephglanvill schrieb:

        > One of my friends introduced me to a series called Claymore, which
        > can't seem to make up its mind whether it's a lesbian DBZ meets Berserk
        > or a lesbian Berserk meeting DBZ. Despite this, it's wierdly
        > compelling in a popcorn fashion. Anyone else seen this and have any
        > thoughts?

        Oh really? Didn't think that there were two shows with the same name.
        I'm only watching the other. :P

        Blackskaven
      • Chikane Himemiya
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          I agree. It's an awesome series, one of the best I've seen in ages.And the best thing, it follows so closely to the manga that I don't complain a bit about missing pieces or a change in anything.

          ~Alexa

          From: "josephglanvill" <s0235438@sms. ed.ac.uk>
          Someone throw something at me if this has already been discussed;
          recently, I have not had the time to follow the discussions too closely.

          One of my friends introduced me to a series called Claymore, which
          can't seem to make up its mind whether it's a lesbian DBZ meets Berserk
          or a lesbian Berserk meeting DBZ. Despite this, it's wierdly
          compelling in a popcorn fashion. Anyone else seen this and have any
          thoughts?

          Fanusi Khiyal

          "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."

        • Chikane Himemiya
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            Don't hold your breath for Jeane/Clare.

            josephglanvill <s0235438@...> wrote:
            > It's been discussed some as to whether it really qualified as yuri
            > between Clare and Thereasa. I think general consensus was that
            > that particular aspect was more of a big sister/little sister
            > arrangement.

            I tend to agree with the assessment that there was no Teresa/Clare
            slash, but there is more than enough of it elsewhere. My money is
            all riding on Jeanne/Clare at the moment.

            I enjoy watching it too. As I said, it's wierdly compelling.

            > Oh really? Didn't think that there were two shows with the same
            name.
            > I'm only watching the other. :P

            Blackskaven, my comment arises from the fact that the Awakened Ones
            are basically Apostles. Anyone who's read Berserk recognises the
            similarity, to put it mildly, not to mention the swords.

            And anyone who spent an indecent amount of time watching badly dubbed
            DBZ recognises some lines & situations that are practically
            verbatim. I'd be happy to hash this one out.

            Fanusi Khiyal

            "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."

          • Ah... Me
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              The only thing that even hinted something was way back at the beginning... When Clare got the Black Card... and had to kill her yearmate/friend... She said they would hold each other through the pain of training and stuff....  So,there might be yuri happening in the Claymore Association... but not what we see in the show...

              Thespi

              josephglanvill <s0235438@sms. ed.ac.uk> wrote:
              > It's been discussed some as to whether it really qualified as yuri
              > between Clare and Thereasa. I think general consensus was that
              > that particular aspect was more of a big sister/little sister
              > arrangement.

              I tend to agree with the assessment that there was no Teresa/Clare
              slash, but there is more than enough of it elsewhere. My money is
              all riding on Jeanne/Clare at the moment.

              I enjoy watching it too. As I said, it's wierdly compelling.

              > Oh really? Didn't think that there were two shows with the same
              name.
              > I'm only watching the other. :P

              Blackskaven, my comment arises from the fact that the Awakened Ones
              are basically Apostles. Anyone who's read Berserk recognises the
              similarity, to put it mildly, not to mention the swords.

              And anyone who spent an indecent amount of time watching badly dubbed
              DBZ recognises some lines & situations that are practically
              verbatim. I'd be happy to hash this one out.

              Fanusi Khiyal

              "Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. "

              The only reason that cats tolerate humans is that they haven't found a
              better slave race, YET.

              "Hey, who tidied the Brimstone?!" HELL, from "Summon the Keeper" by Tanya Huff

              Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

            • Digital Dolphin
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2007
                (de-lurking at the mention of Claymore)

                I've been watching Claymore since it first started getting subbed, and all I can say is I've loved every minute of it. Like some others who have posted about it, I don't really know if there is any real yuri happening in the anime, the hinting is a little weak even.... but it still tickles me in that way that only yuri and wishful yuri thinking can... I already feel pretty strongly about the Claire/Jeanne pairing (maybe not as lovers, but some close bond at least). Really, the bonds in Claymore are just really really sweet and touching.

                I'm part of a small group of friends who gets together every Saturday to watch anime. Every one of us, even our yaoi fangirl member, eagerly awaits the ritual watching of Claymore each week. It's one of the animes that no one is allowed to watch without everyone else, so that we can all enjoy it together at the same time.

                -Greg
              • Chikane Himemiya
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 3, 2007
                  *chuckles lightly* I still say don't go holding your breath for Jeane/Claire. Yes, things COULD progress........

                  !!

                  Jeane dies saving Claire. Claire cries and screams, yes, and that's about the closest you get to that bond. I find it rather fucking sad. I would have loved to see the two of them together to some degree. But I've been reading the manga alone with watching the anime and if it continues to follow the manga as closely as it has, this WILL come to pass. As well as a second season. I already know there will be one.

                  Digital Dolphin <digitaldolphin@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!